WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > The Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2019, 02:37 PM

Re: Artist vs Student Grade Paints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Lion
Because it would be a lot of work and require lots of skill, to create art that would just be looked down upon as kitsch junk by high-end art collectors and galleries.

Bouguereau-style paintings wouldn't even perform well on Instagram.

Well, so what is different here? People's taste of art? Soul in art?

And well, I was reading about Aivazovsky and it was written that he was painting most of his works in one day and larger ones in a maximum of five days. So I guess it was not a lot of work for him.

I do not know much about Bouguereau. And why do you think his style would not work well on instagram? I think because of the price. Such paintings would be so expensive.

Kitsch junk? Well taste of those art collectors determine what is good art and what is not? Or art is a personal taste?

For example I love all those kitsch junk. I can spend hours watching all those beautiful, realisctic, romantic, detailed classic master pieces. When I think about painting all I recall is those old masters and their insanely detailed paintings. I love to paint but when I compare myself with those great old masters I am like someone who just started to paint. I am no where close to them. So well I question myself and today's artist. Who is the artist? Old master or the modern master?

Last edited by 3igAnt : 06-15-2019 at 02:49 PM.
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2019, 03:24 PM
A Local Legend
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1In_HVPM7Rc
Bouguereau's work
BTW, galleries are full of garbage!

Last edited by Gigalot : 06-15-2019 at 03:48 PM.
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2019, 04:45 PM
Lord of the Arts
Monterey Bay area, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Lion
Because it would be a lot of work and require lots of skill, to create art that would just be looked down upon as kitsch junk by high-end art collectors and galleries. Bouguereau-style paintings wouldn't even perform well on Instagram.
On the other hand, you can find lots of merchandise for sale (not the original artwork) based on Andy Warhol's use of incorrect color and misaligned color screens. Much of it seems to be variations on the same underlying image (usually Marilyn Monroe) with different colors and alignments.

Wonder if he used artist-grade or student-grade stuff?
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-16-2019, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigalot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1In_HVPM7Rc
Bouguereau's work
BTW, galleries are full of garbage!

Painting looks beautiful but far from Bouguereau's quality IMO ))
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-16-2019, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinguino
On the other hand, you can find lots of merchandise for sale (not the original artwork) based on Andy Warhol's use of incorrect color and misaligned color screens. Much of it seems to be variations on the same underlying image (usually Marilyn Monroe) with different colors and alignments.

Wonder if he used artist-grade or student-grade stuff?

Andy Warhol's style is so different. I do not know why he painted in those crazy color combinations and Marilyn Monroe that much. I prefer realism in paintings. I like art which I have an hard time to understand how it was painted that much realistic.
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-16-2019, 01:26 AM
A Local Legend
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3igAnt
Painting looks beautiful but far from Bouguereau's quality IMO ))
Bouguereau's paintings are by far better than any of copy attempts made by modern artists. They have no skill to paint portraits, that are close to his skin color decision and vividness. Modern artists portrait color is poor, almost monochrome without transkarency, almost violet, rude and poor of richness. Looks like bob ross alla-prima style with ultra limitation in color range. Sheep in art.

Last edited by Gigalot : 06-16-2019 at 01:38 AM.
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-16-2019, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Bouguereau's paintings are by far better than any of copy attempts made by modern artists. They have no skill to paint portraits, that are close to his skin color decision and vividness. Modern artists portrait color is poor, almost monochrome without transkarency, almost violet, rude and poor of richness. Looks like bob ross alla-prima style with ultra limitation in color range. Sheep in art.

Yes I agree with every thing you say. Is it theabsance of skill, the knowladge of color, the real love of painting, the passion about art ? Or maybe the combination of those? Like anything, for example, in my humble oppinion, like the quality of insdustrial products decreases when compared to 30-40 years ago, the quality drops down badly in the art produced also. But at least I try to learn from the masters like, Aivazovsky, Bouguereau, Osias Beert, John Singer Sargent and so on. For example a modern artist Alexie Antanov is realy a master. I learned alot from his intetnet site.
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-16-2019, 05:29 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Yes I agree with every thing you say. Is it theabsance of skill, the knowladge of color, the real love of painting, the passion about art ? Or maybe the combination of those? Like anything, for example, in my humble oppinion, like the quality of insdustrial products decreases when compared to 30-40 years ago, the quality drops down badly in the art produced also. But at least I try to learn from the masters like, Aivazovsky, Bouguereau, Osias Beert, John Singer Sargent and so on. For example a modern artist Alexie Antanov is realy a master. I learned alot from his intetnet site.

The huge irony here is that ALL the people you mention would have had EXACTLY the same criticism aimed at them in their day.
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-16-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffless
The huge irony here is that ALL the people you mention would have had EXACTLY the same criticism aimed at them in their day.

If so, they were compered with whom? It is apparent that the people I mention is superior in their art. I think there is no doubt about that.

With whom Aivazovsky can be compared about seascapes? Or with whom Bougereau can be compared about portrait painting?

Last edited by 3igAnt : 06-16-2019 at 03:23 PM.
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-16-2019, 05:32 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
If so, they were compered with whom? It is apparent that the people I mention is superior in their art. I think there is no doubt about that.

With whom Aivazovsky can be compared about seascapes? Or with whom Bougereau can be compared about portrait painting?

Bougereau studied Raphael Poussin and Ingres. Is he superior to them? Only you the viewer can decide that. But many critics of his day didn't like his style when compared to these giants of art.

Aivazovsky i don't know but he comes from a Romantic period of Rusdian Art so he would have no doubt stood himself on the shoulders of these giants.

You can't pigeonhole painting like this. Its all subjective.
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-16-2019, 05:36 PM
Lord of the Arts
Monterey Bay area, California

So, if I compare Aivazovsky to Bougereau, would I be able to tell which of them used artist grade paints, and which of them used students grade paints? That was the topic of this thread, BTW.
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-17-2019, 04:49 AM
A Local Legend
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia

I also like George Inness, Niagara, 1889. Tonalism. Such kind of paintings can't be done with alla-prima. They can show color richness of layered technique.
The difference between student grade and artists grade is in fillers addition. Fillers make body and forms durable films. Oil paint with inorganic fillers are more durable and more transparent than artists grade counterpart. Great for glaze work and for impasto. But artist grade paint contains less oil and can form thin and less yellowish film.

In the time of Aivazovsky to Bougereau artist had just general purpose paint, with no student or artist grade. Just paint.

Last edited by Gigalot : 06-17-2019 at 04:56 AM.
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-17-2019, 10:31 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
I also like George Inness, Niagara, 1889. Tonalism. Such kind of paintings can't be done with alla-prima. They can show color richness of layered technique.
The difference between student grade and artists grade is in fillers addition. Fillers make body and forms durable films. Oil paint with inorganic fillers are more durable and more transparent than artists grade counterpart. Great for glaze work and for impasto. But artist grade paint contains less oil and can form thin and less yellowish film.

In the time of Aivazovsky to Bougereau artist had just general purpose paint, with no student or artist grade. Just paint.

I would imagine in a time when fake money was in abundence using cheap metal in coinage etc etc, that oil paint was an easy target to add fillers to save money. Quality control in paint was probably very hit and miss. No student v artist. Just good or bad.
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-17-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Why todays artist cannot produce art like them?

I will write the various reasons that come to my mind.
We have a photography and some artists think that it is pointless to do the same with paints.
Some painters do not want to do things like many have done before them.
Some figurative artists took up computer graphics.
Some of the artists are Marxists and do not recognize work and craft, so they create a daubs to play and not get tired (leftist attitudes are now promoted).
Some people paint abstractly, create things from the imagination, recognize that colorful patches and tonal transitions can be visually attractive and interesting.
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-17-2019, 03:51 PM
A Local Legend
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia

Some artists are ignorant, they have no experience and skill to work, while while old masters technique is lost forever. They study online rude alla-prima tricks.