WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Drawing and Sketching
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2019, 04:29 AM
Arlington Tx

Hails from United States
charcoal drawing wip critique/advice more then welcome - Finished

its 3 am here and just parked my truck for my 10 hour rest gonna do some more art work before I pass out. but I'm gonna share what I been working on past few days . bare with me I'm not so good with charcoal so I'm practicing on that any critique is welcomed. I feel like I lose all control with the medium as I'm not as comfortable with it as I am with graphite I lose my ability to seamless blend transitions and I get really sloppy when using it .

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2019, 03:27 PM

Re: charcoal drawing wip critique/advice more then welcome

Hey there,
This is my second try at replying to your thread. Hope it posts this time ... alas, I am not a techno-mage.

I appreciate the series of photos you shared. It's a sort of tutorial watching that image take shape and grow.

Also much appreciated is seeing your working set-up, your tools and where you have them laid out. I'm pretty interested in what exactly people use and where on the table they place them.

What are you using for paper ... is that Strathmore charcoal paper or a series 300 Bristol? I've not yet endeavored with charcoal but your work suggests I should grow a spine, find some courage, and give it a go.

Your dedication to the practice of drawing after such arduous days (daze?) on the road is impressive. I draw daily, but don't think I have your amazing fortitude.

Please keep posting.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2019, 08:36 PM
Arlington Tx

Hails from United States
(completed) Re: charcoal drawing wip critique/advice more then welcome

after tedious layers an erasing I got it done its look good but I'm still not satisfied I need much more practice with. charcoal
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2019, 08:41 PM
Arlington Tx

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redleg
Hey there,
This is my second try at replying to your thread. Hope it posts this time ... alas, I am not a techno-mage.

I appreciate the series of photos you shared. It's a sort of tutorial watching that image take shape and grow.

Also much appreciated is seeing your working set-up, your tools and where you have them laid out. I'm pretty interested in what exactly people use and where on the table they place them.

What are you using for paper ... is that Strathmore charcoal paper or a series 300 Bristol? I've not yet endeavored with charcoal but your work suggests I should grow a spine, find some courage, and give it a go.

Your dedication to the practice of drawing after such arduous days (daze?) on the road is impressive. I draw daily, but don't think I have your amazing fortitude.

Please keep posting.

I'm glad I was able to help you I try an do pictures this way as many of my friends like to see the progression. and I like to keep all my tools close enough but only have the ones out in reach that in using on the current section of work . it's a strathmore Bristol 300 yes I like the smooth ness it gives for skin . the 100ln 270 gm size let's me put quite a few layers down before its un workable. I like water color paper as well u can really abuse that paper but it takes more work to get smooth. yes driving makes it very hard to keep a focus on art have to be very dedicated to keep up with it. especially with me trying to branch out into another medium
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2019, 08:43 PM
WC! Guide
Magnolia, Arkansas

Hails from United States

Dread headnino:
You are doing very well with this work. It seems to me the reference photo may be done a professional technique where you only see her face, and the rest is considered back ground. There are beautiful values that rendered this great photo. Therefore try to concentrate on the face as much as you can. For instance there is a significant contrast on her neck that is competing with her face so you have to make those contrasts less defined. Keep up your good work.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2019, 11:35 PM
Standerton, South Africa

Hails from South Africa

Great going! You're doing well with this medium.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2019, 12:46 PM
A Local Legend
Las Vegas

Hails from United States
Re: charcoal drawing wip critique/advice more then welcome - Finished

I don't think you need any critique. Seems like you're handling charcoal very well.

Is that a little camera I see in one of your pictures. Or is it a pencil sharpener? Can you tell me about it?
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2019, 08:40 PM
Arlington Tx

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moises Menendez
Dread headnino:
You are doing very well with this work. It seems to me the reference photo may be done a professional technique where you only see her face, and the rest is considered back ground. There are beautiful values that rendered this great photo. Therefore try to concentrate on the face as much as you can. For instance there is a significant contrast on her neck that is competing with her face so you have to make those contrasts less defined. Keep up your good work.

thank you I'm glad you pointed that out haha.i didnt even think about any filters the photographer may have uses to enhance the photo. I just tried my best to capture the likeness .
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2019, 08:40 PM
Arlington Tx

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanny
Great going! You're doing well with this medium.

thank you I'm working on it
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2019, 08:57 PM
Arlington Tx

Hails from United States
Re: charcoal drawing wip critique/advice more then welcome - Finished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wassie
I don't think you need any critique. Seems like you're handling charcoal very well.

Is that a little camera I see in one of your pictures. Or is it a pencil sharpener? Can you tell me about it?

I'm glad you think so it's been a trail.

and yea its along the helix line of sharpners they work really well.