WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#91   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2019, 07:54 AM
Enthusiast
Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States
Re: MfM does the STEMS event again

Too bad you didnít get the purchase prize. If only they had seen the painting with the resin on. Iím curious to hear if the resin changes the color at all.
  #92   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2019, 10:05 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States

Robyn:
With the huge thunderstorm raging I left the challenge painting in my car. This evening, (the next day) we were in a favorite restaurant and when we left I gave the challenge painting to the owners.

I have started pouring... First I made some cardboard covers. Then I went over the panel edges with a sanding block to clean them up. Then I put blue tape around the edges to be a sort of a dam. I used a builders level to check the level of the place I'd work. I fueled up the torch and made sure it worked. I decided I'd only do two pieces today and tomorrow I'd do the others. Selected were the 3rd and 4th place in vote counts.

I found on Art Resins website that for a 12x16 inch, (30.5x40.6 CM) piece I'd need 7 oz, (207 mL) of pour for 1/8th inch, (0.32 CM) thickness. That means 28 oz, (828 mL) total of pour. I had a total of resin and hardner of 32 oz, (946.4 mL). So... I said why not use up that residual 4 oz, (118.3 mL)?

I put a piece of tape up the sides of the 2 bottles and marked the top and bottom... between these I put a mark every 1 11/16 inch, (4.3 CM) and this divided the materials into four. Then I poured using the marks as an indicator. Mixed madly for three minutes, (0.0000057 Yr) poured on the result and spread it about. Bubbles, yes, but the torch really does pop them... fun! More appear, pop them too. Oops, did the heat scorch the paper? More fun. Tooth pick lifts out a spec of something. Put the cover on the thing and try to relax. Do another.

Tomorrow I'll have a quick look but it takes days to get really hard. So.. 2 down 2 to go.

Comments?

-Dave
  #93   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2019, 01:16 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

Good luck David, hope they turn out well

Doug
  #94   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2019, 09:52 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States

and today I poured the other two pieces.

With the product I bought from Blick, "Art Resin", there was no smell. At least that was our experience.

When you mix the hardner into the resin it gets "stringy" looking and bubbles appear. After three minutes, fully mixed, the resin is clear and there are lots of bubbles. These bubbles are not air, they are a result of the chemical reaction. After you do the pour and spread the resin, bubbles will continue to appear for a while... maybe 15-20 minutes. They pop readily with the torch. If tiny specs of dust get on the surface a tooth pick is handy for lifting these out. You need to get the cover on as soon as you can... when the bubbles quit.

This is not a project for a chilly, windy, dusty room... a work space with dog hairs and cottonwood seeds would be a horror show.

This afternoon the first two pours hit 24 hours and are "firm" to touch. The effect is remarkable... There does not seem to be a color or value change... but it looks as if you painted on the back of a piece of glass; sort of... it's hard to describe but very captivating. Love it. Gonna do this again.

Comments?

-Dave

Last edited by manfrommerriam : 05-26-2019 at 09:58 PM.
  #95   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-27-2019, 12:55 AM
A WC! Legend

you are brave
  #96   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-27-2019, 07:57 AM
Enthusiast
Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States

Discovering a process that you want to use again is priceless. Iíve been wondering about dust and dog hair. Either one would spoil the effect.
  #97   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-27-2019, 08:29 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States

OH!
Just before I went to bed last night I carried each over to a table lamp and discovered to my horror... ugly things had happened. Some bubbles were not popped, Some texture raised by the Krylon spray had not been covered. a bit of dust...

So this morning I was thinking 1. Use the two unmolested watercolors that were voted 7 & 8. Paint a few more in a hurry and get three framed by mid day Thursday. 2. Use the materials I had for working on a boat to pour a clear resin coat over the boo boos, hiding them. Question... how clear is that stuff really and why does it heat up and give off fumes when you mix it up? 3. Buy some more clear resin products even though it's a national holiday. To make this story short: eventually I found that Blick in Kansas City was open and so I bought another Art Resin kit from them.

I have spent the afternoon very carefully pouring another coat of resin over the first ones. I have learned a few things... one is just after the pour pop bubbles and then quickly cover it up. Don't take off the cover until about 50 minutes have passed and pop more bubbles then. The cover is your friend so don't take it off to admire the mirror like finish... that lets in dust.

You don't want to have the torch run out of fuel during this process unless you do have more.

Another point is the thinner the poured layer and the higher of any protrusions, the more important maintaining the art perfectly flat is.

So I've added another >1/8th inch, (>0.32 CM) / 8 oz, (236.6 mL) layer. Fingers crossed for what I will see in 24 hours.

Robyn: While my remark about the colors seems true, in hindsight I believe the white paper is effected by the resin and gets a bit dulled. White paint though seems safe. I think my problem there is my "sealing" with the Krylon spray did not protect the paper from the resin. I need to find a better sealent in the future.

Comments?

-Dave

Last edited by manfrommerriam : 05-27-2019 at 08:31 PM.
  #98   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-27-2019, 10:48 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States

Some clarification:

The area gets busy and cluttered. The half cartons are covers for the first 3 pieces. The 4th is shown with it's blue tape to keep the pour on the picture. You can see my two levels, the smaller one worked out to be the most useful. The pan and red spatula are my mixing and pouring machine. Paper towels and Nitrile gloves were used often.

This shows the marks I made to guide me in pouring out equal amounts of resin and hardner. This product mixes at 1:1 but other brands are 2:1. If odd shaped bottles are offered this trick won't work. A better look at my blue tape barriers. The panel sits up because of the crating on the back.

-Dave

Last edited by manfrommerriam : 05-27-2019 at 10:56 PM.
  #99   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-28-2019, 01:38 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Sorry you are having such problems Dave, I hope it turns out OK in the end. Maybe wax next time?

Doug
  #100   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-28-2019, 07:23 AM
Enthusiast
Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States

Lots to think about, keeping things flat and level, dust covers, torches, curing time. You will have a unique look when itís all done, though.
Admiring those big paintings in the background. Are those your work?
  #101   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-28-2019, 08:43 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States

Robyn:
Yup, the upper one is a watercolor view of New Orleans from inside a restaurant. The lower one is part of a 22 piece series of pen and wash pieces showing views seen in Yorkshire. I've sold a dozen of them and a couple of the studies as well. Not plein air stuff.

The result of the pours is: the art is apparently seen through water.

My repouring is now 24 hours behind me and I've pulled off the blue tape dams. There is a high concave meniscus where the blue tape met the thick liquid pour. I will grind this off with a belt sander once I've gone beyond 48 hours. The art is still under the covers. I have the hanging wire and the corner cushions to put on. Getting close.

I'd like to say the results are perfect but they are not. However they are much, much better. Given my lack of a dust free environment with humidity and temperature control this is about as good as I can get.

I suspect many who try this end up dropping the idea.

Yesterday I got some "Pebeo Gede" brand clear resin. The problem with this stuff is the instructions say, without explanation, to not exceed a 150 mL pour... thats only 5 Oz. My art now has two 8 Oz pours on it.

There is a resin called "Liquid Glass, Super Clear 2.0" that I'd like to try. They claim you can pour it 2 inches, (5.06 CM) thick.

Late tomorrow I'll have a shot at grinding off the edges and see what happens. Clean things up.

Comments?

-Dave

Last edited by manfrommerriam : 05-28-2019 at 08:53 PM.
  #102   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-29-2019, 01:33 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States

This morning I sanded off the meniscus and any resin that was on the edges. I used a belt sander with 120 grit belts. The dust was a problem. Each picture used up a belt...

This is a faked photo because of the dust when I actually sanded. After the sanding the paintings were washed off with wet tissues to get the dust off of them. Not many watercolors have been washed off like that!

My next problem is the blue tape that is stuck on the panel backs. It's really on there.

Comments?

-Dave
  #103   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-29-2019, 11:16 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States

A few photos:

This shows the crating with it's hanging wire on the panels back. Note the hole that shows the STEMS stamp on the papers back. I removed the stuck blue tape with a wire brush turned by an electric drill.

Here are the seven pieces for STEMS, (before any pouring):
1. Santa Fe Drive in rain (8 votes for a tie, my bride selected it and it became the 4th... safety piece). Poured but not entered in STEMS. Watercolor on Arches 140# rough. Done in car during storm.

2. Floyd Street, (7 votes). Fabriano Artistico 140# hot press.

3. Far Antioch, (10 votes). Poured and an entry into STEMS. Fabriano Artistico 140# hot press.

4. R.R. Express, challenge piece, framed, not the winner. Arches 140# rough.

more\/

Last edited by manfrommerriam : 05-29-2019 at 11:38 PM.
  #104   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-29-2019, 11:24 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States

here\/

5. Statue of Strang, (11 votes). Another piece done while sitting in the back seat of my car and peering through rain streaked glass. Fabriano Artistico 140# hot press. Poured and an entry in STEMS.

6. The William Park House, (8 votes in a tie). Arches 140# rough. Not poured.

7. Turkey Creek, (12 votes). Fabriano Artistico 140# hot press. Poured and an entry.

I have the art wired and taged and ready to hand in tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Comments?

-Dave

Last edited by manfrommerriam : 05-29-2019 at 11:30 PM.
  #105   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-30-2019, 12:51 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

An excellent collection Dave, my favourite is the Stang monument, beautiful sky. I like the R R Express too but the wagon is floating and needs a shadow.

Good luck with your entries.
Doug