WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-17-2018, 02:04 PM
WC! Guide
Ontario

Hails from Canada
The 15th Annual WetCanvas Holiday Portrait Swap -- Sign Up Thread!

We are a bit late getting going this year, but it's happening, and we are very excited!

THE 15th ANNUAL WC! Holiday PORTRAIT Swap!!!! Sign-up here!

I thank Kevin for his call-out from the 2016 Portrait Swap, which I've adapted, as it's SO good!

In the wonderful tradition that Joel Cooper began in this forum, 15 years ago this month, we are again running the Annual Holiday Portrait Swap.

This year, Lauren and Bethany will co-host the Swap, and the rest of the team will help with support and encouragement.

- Don't be shy...all levels welcome!

- Here's where you sign up for:

-- The Fifteenth Annual Great Wet Canvas! Holiday Portrait Swap! --

All experience levels are encouraged to participate!!! Please do not feel intimidated; join, it's fun!!! Medium is flexible!!!

Here's how this works...

1. To sign up, post to this thread that you are willing and able to participate. Please only do so if you are absolutely sure you can take part and complete your partnerís portrait by the end of this year. Most of the works are completed by early December.

1a. State whether you are willing to pair with someone internationally (this is our most encouraged route for participants) - or if you can only manage locally (in your country).
Note: This may leave you out if another pairing in your country cannot be found.

2. Your photo will be shared with your pairing mate but you are welcome to share a photo of yourself in your posting!

3. The selection process is semi-random (numbers assigned and matched by a member of the portraiture team and then the list will be published here and in the follow-on thread for folks to share their respective works with everyone.
Note: Please let the pairing host (Lauren) know who you already have swapped portraits with in previous swaps, so you get a new partner this time.

4. You paint, draw, scratch or ?? your partner! Digital portraits are also welcome.
Note: Consider the mailing costs and logistics when you are determining the size of your portrait.

5. Post your work and ship! (and post W.I.P.'s please Ė we love that, and you will be encouraged and applauded as you go!)

You will exchange your photo with that member via email. When you send your photo to your swap partner, be sure to specify if itís okay with you that they post your reference along with their portrait of you.

Knowing that everyone's time is valuable, we're asking that the portraits be painted in the context of one-month timeframe (beginning first week of November or thereabouts and being completed by early to mid-December. This will allow even those with busy schedules to participate in this holiday event. There are always a few of us who are later than that, but please consider what you realistically can do and when you will finish your portrait.

Also, any issues you have with your partner should not be addressed in the thread, but by private message with the hosts.

Important note for you: We're requiring that reference portraits that you submit of yourselves be taken in some type of overhead, direct lighting (at "10" or "2" o'clock for reference on a clock-face as to where to place your light source), or natural lighting that accomplishes similar light and shadow qualities on your subject (you!). Basically light that creates a clear, in-focus image with clear shadow shapes, cast shadows and light shapes that makes it a bit easier to paint the human head.

---Please do not submit photos taken with any type of flash or washed out frontal-light.
--- Please do not submit "snapshots" to your partner!----

Also, photos with most of the head/face in shadow are not useful ( and difficult to paint as well). Snapshots as well, under most circumstances will not be sufficient!

Cropping: Please do not crop your head in any way, Head, neck and a bit of shoulders will be a useful amount of "you" for your painting partner. If they want to crop for composition - that is fine!

We will post Kevin's excellent tutorial/primer for how to take a good reference photo. Your photo must align to this rule or your partner will have much more difficulty doing a good job ! Window light makes for an interesting natural light situation. As well, outdoors in subdued or non direct sunlight is also a great lighting condition. Remember, your photo doesn't have to be fancy, just clear.

Also, they'll need to be of the head and shoulders variety. Be sure to send your swap member a JPEG image large enough to paint from. Be as creative with your lighting and pose as you like while adhering to the lighting guidelines above as best you can.

We are also aiming for a 4 week time limit on the portrait creation process. This will allow for the art exchange well in advance of the holidays. Paint or draw the portrait you receive at any size that makes sense to you, given the 4 week time limit. If anyone finds that they end up needing longer, that can be arranged between the 2 artist's swapping. But, we would still love to see WIPs on the posting thread.

All you'll do in this thread is sign up by posting to it with your intention to participate by November 4, 2018.
On November 5th (or thereabouts), we will post the pairing results at the end of this thread. Shortly thereafter, we'll start another thread for the actual portrait swap event. Meanwhile, you can get a head start by getting a few photos snapped of yourself (please do everything you can to provide photos that follow our guidelines set above!)!

This year, please indicate when signing up whether it is OK to pair you with a person from another country or continent. The artwork sent can be labeled as a Gift for Customs, since that is what it is. It should be sent in a photo mailer or a bubble envelope, supported with a piece of cardboard on either side of the artwork. Anyone who does not wish to be paired with someone outside their country, for shipping purposes, please indicate that when you sign up as well. Anyone who forgets, We'll PM you just to make sure before doing the random pairing. Offering this choice allows for a variety of potential partners and will avoid possible repeat pairings, after 8 years.

The thread will close end of day, November 4. After that, pairings will be announced in a new thread typically w/in the first day or two/three in November.

AGAIN: To indicate your participation intent, just post to this thread, and confirm Yes or No to out of country pairing for yourself. Please consider whether you can or not, for certain, participate, before signing up, to avoid people dropping out after the pairing or process has begun.
Any questions, feel free to ask!

Summary:
1. Post to this thread by Nov. 4
2. Prepare by taking clear photos of yourself of sufficient resolution with good light and shadows ( having a few for your partner to choose from is must !). PLEASE, We implore you: Do not put the whole head into shadow!
3. You will have the balance of November to complete your work and ship your Portrait.
4. We absolutely encourage participants to post their work here!
5. Be patient!
6. Do not sign up if you cannot commit!
7. And have fun!

The Moderator and Guide staff of Portraiture - we can't wait !!

Last edited by Lauren F-M : 10-17-2018 at 02:10 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2018, 04:28 AM
south coast Australia

Hails from Australia
Re: The 15th Annual WetCanvas Holiday Portrait Swap -- Sign Up Thread!

Thanks for that, Lauren... here is the photo-taking information from Kevin- thanks to Kevin as well!

Using Kevin's helpful tips for taking a reference photo to send to your Portrait-Swap partner.
It is so important to take a photo with good lighting- and a large size to allow detail!

Hope to see many of you signing up!

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2018, 08:44 PM
Enthusiast
Woburn, Massachusetts

Hails from United States

Hello, I would love to participate in the Portrait Swap this year.

- Ricky
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2018, 10:05 PM
Lord of the Arts
Sydney

Hails from Australia

Hello I would also love to sign on for this years portait swap. It will be my first time so Iím happy with any pairing given and no preference if local or international. Many thanks in advance.
Sandy.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2018, 11:16 PM
Enthusiast
Woburn, Massachusetts

Hails from United States

whoops!! I just realized I forgot to add local or international is fine . I'm looking forward to this. I've done this a few times in the past and it's a lot of fun.

`Ricky
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-19-2018, 02:14 PM
North Carolina

Hails from United States

I would like to participate. International is fine. I have painted PaintBoss and Schuee.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2018, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Canada

I'm so excited to see this come up again. I would like to sign up for this years. I can do international.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-21-2018, 12:24 AM
Enthusiast

Iíd like to sign up. I can do international.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2018, 08:22 AM
WC! Guide
Ontario

Hails from Canada

Welcome to everyone who is signing up -- it will be fun!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2018, 10:04 PM
Lost in Texas...

Hails from United States

Sign me up! I can do international as well. -Earl
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-24-2018, 07:42 AM
Lord of the Arts
Ohio

Hails from United States

Okay! I will do it. 😊 But, I will need to stay local (U.S.). This sounds like such fun! Now, to get my photos... 😃
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-26-2018, 04:47 PM
Enthusiast
Woburn, Massachusetts

Hails from United States

I canít wait to see everyoneís work...every year this gets more and more fun. I did it a few years ago and not only is this a great way to get to know other artists, itís a great and fun way to learn and grow as an artist. Canít wait to find out who Iíll be drawing and getting started

- Ricky
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2018, 11:23 PM
WC! Guide
Ontario

Hails from Canada

We have another week to sign up, so please spread the word!
The more, the merrier!
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2018, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member
Cottage Grove, Oregon

Hails from Austria

I would like to sign up again this year, international is O.K, thanks for hosting.
Horst
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2018, 02:24 PM
The Left Coast

Hails from United States

Thank you Lauren for running the swap this year! I have moved last year's swap to the archive if anyone would like to see the work from the previous year ( or years)!

Kevin
"kevinwueste" on instagram