WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2004, 10:09 AM
Enthusiast
Texas

Hails from United States
Color Mixing Chart Project

Quite often, I read in a message about a color mix someone has found to fill a void in the colors of rods available. I've come up with something that will not only benefit me, but I hope everyone here as well. How about we collect all of the mixes we're using and put them into a chart? That way, when we need a reference, it's available in an easy to use form.

OK, here is what I propose and what I've done about it. Post a picture of your color mix (in rod form if possible) and the colors used. Please try to include color numbers. I'll gather them up from this thread and put them into a chart format. Right now the chart is in a preliminary format, but can be found by clicking here. When the chart is pretty much complete (or when we're done adding to it), I'll put it in a more permanent and easy to download form. The more input you give me, the better this resource will be for all. So, lets get mixing!

The 3 pictures you'll find attached are of:
1 - Aventurine Frit
456 Rubino
Encased with 004 Clear

2 - Aventurine Frit
004 Clear
204 White

3 - Layered:
261 Pale Pink
456 Rubino
068 Pink
(as someone had previously mentioned this week)

A few last minute notes.

If you are not able to post pictures (don't have a scanner or camera), do at least give us your color mix. I'm sure someone here will be more than happy to mix it up and show everyone the results.

This is not an attempt to duplicate Drew Fritts' color chart. Please do not submit recipe's from his excellent resource.

I have added a copyright statment at the bottom of the chart. This is to preserve the rights of the contributers, not mine.

In advance, thanks to all for their input and recipe's.
Attached Images

Last edited by Listenup : 03-21-2004 at 10:12 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2004, 03:07 PM
Enthusiast
Alabama

Hails from United States
Re: Color Mixing Chart Project

What A wonderful idea! I will have to get out all of my notes so I can add to this. I have many colors that I mix myself and do keep good notes as recipes so I don't forget. One great note is intstead of using intense black. Since we all know that regular black is actually very dark transparent purple. Take an opaque dark colbalt blue rod and case it with black. This keeps the black looking black, and not purple. I do believe this was originally found out by Kate Fowle. Just giving credit where credit is due.

Shawn

If you set out deliberately to make a masterpiece, how will you ever get it finished?
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2004, 03:15 PM
Enthusiast
Suffolk, VA at the edge of the Great Dismal Swamp

Hails from United States

Ambitious project. It would help if proportions were part of the equation.
Swamper in the 'Bay
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2004, 03:55 PM
Enthusiast
Texas

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamperfolk
Ambitious project.
That's what happens when you're laid up for medical reasons and can't torch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamperfolk
It would help if proportions were part of the equation.
I thought about that, and will include that info if it's given, but the way I mix my colors, I just can't give proportions. For the second example I gave (which I call Aventurine Mist), I had a rod of white in one hand and a rod of clear in the other. As I was mixing them, I dipped the blob in Aventurine and continued to mix till I got just the look I was after. Sine mine, at this time, mostly involve mixing with white and the darker colors, I think it gives an idea of the color range that can be achieved. But again, if proportions are given in someone's recipe, I will include them.

I want this to include the information you feel is important, but still keep it in a compact easy-to-read format, so please continue to give suggestions.

-Kay
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2004, 05:33 PM
Enthusiast
Texas

Hails from United States

I've just redone the mixes using measurements, so the chart now includes those. I've also added some new colors. Here are a few of them:

Mint: 204 White x2
218 Petroleum Green x1

Baby Blue: 204 White x1
220 Periwinkle x1

Grape Kool-Aid: 456 Rubino x2
060 Cobalt Blue x1

Don't let me have all the fun. Show us some of those special colors you like to mix up and I'll put them on the chart. Remember, the more we can add to the chart, the more valuable it will be as a resource for us.

-Kay
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2004, 06:47 PM
Michigan

Hails from United States
Question Re: Color Mixing Chart Project

OK, how did you mix the color that perfectly? When I try to mix a color, I get swirls of the two colors I am mixing. Sometimes what looks good enough, but yours seem like you were mixing paint.

Do I just need to mash them together longer?

Laura
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2004, 08:43 PM
Enthusiast
Texas

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrauger
OK, how did you mix the color that perfectly?

Good question! Since I was keeping track of proportions this time, I didn't want to use something that would add to the mix, so I used borosilicate rods as my punties (although normally I would have used rods of the colors I was mixing). I got the gather good and hot, did some twisting as if I was making a twistie, and then ran the ends of the rods round each other - difficult for me to explain - kind of like you move your hands when you're playing pat-a-cake, then did the twistie thing again, and kept doing that till the colors were well mixed. Knowing boro is not compatable, I was very careful not to let the ends get so hot they melted and got into the mix. Since I'm on a HH, that wasn't too difficult.

If I just use the twistie method, I can't get them to mix to my satisfaction either - but this works for me.

-Kay
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2004, 11:47 PM
A Local Legend
Oregon

Hails from United States

I love the grape kool-Aid!

ETSY... SALES SOON!... WEBBIE
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2004, 06:23 AM
Enthusiast
Texas

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetchikanSculptor
I love the grape kool-Aid!
I can't take the credit for the mix recipe, but when I pulled it out after mixing it, I had a flash-back of pouring the stuff as a kid. Of course, that's what I had to name it though I haven't actually mixed any kool-aid up to compare the color.

Laura, I should have also mentioned earlier when explaining my mixing technique that you have to be careful when mixing in this manner that you don't get any air bubbles into your mix. When I rotate the ends of the rods around each other, the rods are touching so I'm pushing the glass around the ends. If you get any air into the mix - disaster.

I'm still waiting for folks to send me their favorite color mixes.

-Kay
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2004, 12:32 AM
Enthusiast
Huntington Beach, CA

Hails from United States

Thank you Kay, what a wonderful chart you have created. It certainly deserves a 5 rating.

Thanks for all the work you have put into it.

Namaste,
Michelle
Bousky Arts
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2005, 02:22 AM
Enthusiast
Texas

Hails from United States

I'm updating this to mention that I now use the ends of a couple of mandrels to do my mixing, instead of boro rods. Now I don't have to worry about boro getting into the mix. I'm also going to try to see if I can get my son to take a short video of how I do my mixing so I can add it to the web page. I'll also add a link to Corina's page on how she does her mixing.
http://www.corinabeads.com/html/colormixing.htm

-Kay
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2005, 03:33 AM
A Local Legend
Oregon

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listenup
I'm updating this to mention that I now use the ends of a couple of mandrels to do my mixing, instead of boro rods. Now I don't have to worry about boro getting into the mix. I'm also going to try to see if I can get my son to take a short video of how I do my mixing so I can add it to the web page. I'll also add a link to Corina's page on how she does her mixing.
http://www.corinabeads.com/html/colormixing.htm

-Kay
So glad that you posted this update! I mixed the grape kool-aid and loved it so well I made a bunch of stringers to play with!

Here is my color "recipie" if you will... I take black and mix the silver leaf with it like you do with the silver.... then make stringers. When I use it to add dots to the beads they come out metalic and silvery... much better in person then in the photo. Hope some of you guys out there can get it to look better in your pictures then I was able. It really does look pretty in person. Sadly, this bead cracked, from you know... shock! DRATS!
Attached Images

ETSY... SALES SOON!... WEBBIE
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2005, 04:08 AM
Kilcoy, Queensland

Hails from Australia

I just had to post to this thread to give it a bump as I am sure there are many people out there who haven't seen it but will find this information invaluable!

Thanks for all the effort!

Cheers
Carol

"The greatness of a craft consists firstly in how it brings comradeship to people."

My Ebay Shop
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2005, 03:01 PM
Immortalized
Southern California

Hails from United States

OMG just found the layer section.... can't catch my breath...
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2005, 07:02 PM
Enthusiast
Texas

Hails from United States

Yes, the layers did turn out nifty, didn't they?

In the not to distant past, I added some new mixes to the chart. You can tell which ones those are because there is also a bead made from the color in addition to the rod. I've found that the when you leave a mix in the flame long enough to make a bead, the color will continue to mature. I'll slowly work so that both are pictured for all mixes so you can see the color as it will look on a base bead, or when used as a stringer.

-Kay