Hello to all and welcome to the first WDE of 2018
I'll be posting 10 images and a nice easy challenge!
Please wait until all the images are uploaded before commenting - thank you.
You have 30 minutes to make your choice and choose your materials - you may use any medium.
For the next two hours, just go for it……then STOP!, scan or photograph your work and post it in your own new thread with your title, beginning with WDE, plus date, plus title.
When you introduce your work, please add a description of size, medium, support (paper, canvas etc,) and time taken.
If your work is digital, we'd appreciate a description of whether it's freehand drawing/painting, manipulated image or done using the filters available in some programmes - you could also say which programme you've used.
All are acceptable but we'd like to know the "hows, whys and wherefores"!!
Use WIP for any work in progress at the 2 hour mark, and MI for multiple images if other works are to be added before the following Monday.
NB. To avoid forum flooding, please put all of your work during the weekend, for the current WDE, into a single thread: multiple threads will be merged!
From the following TUESDAY, you may open a new thread for later work.
You have the whole week to participate - until the next WDE starts (usually Friday). If you finish a piece after that time, please post in its own thread and try to give the date/host of that particular week - if you can!
After posting your contribution, please view others’ entries and comment and encourage when you can. Unless requested, please refrain from critiquing.
All the photos are my own except for the last one which is from the RIL, as I didn't have any kitten pictures. You are free to use them as you wish. There is no theme this week - I had planned to go on a bit of a tour and show you some interesting sights near where I live but the light has been terrible!
So let's begin:
1) The Usher Hall in Edinburgh - a great venue for live music. Edinburgh Castle is in the background. This was taken last Friday and is the most snow we've had so far this winter.
2) There has been a bit more snow further north though!
3) Christmas hyacinths
3) Almond Castle in West Lothian (west of Edinburgh) - is just about holding together. If you're interested - more info here
4) The cheesemongers where I queued for over an hour to buy cheese at Christmas
6) A beautiful old pine tree in Holkham Woods, in Norfolk - my favourite place.
7) Pheasant feathers
8) Selection of brushes that I used to paint a sculpture with
9) I liked the difference between these 3 trees. I took the photo in case I ever painted a landscape and felt that it was missing something
10) I love seeing pictures and paintings of cats so had to include these lovely kittens I found in the RIL - photo by Pencils To Go
And the challenge - as well as (or instead of) a main picture, I'd like to see a drawing in pen and whatever paper you have to hand, taking no longer than 5 minutes
Hope you enjoy the images - have fun!