WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Landscapes
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-23-2017, 02:01 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from South Africa
Re: June 2017 Landscape Challenge

Thanks for the positive comments Hal.

Nice rendition of yours there Hal. It amazes me how you are able to get that much detail onto an A4 sheet of paper using WC!

regards - Peter

Last edited by dewarp : 06-23-2017 at 02:04 AM.
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-23-2017, 02:17 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from South Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunFace
Peter I would be very interested on a tutorial!

Hi SunFace. There are lots of tutorials out there. In my work its hard to compile a tutorial because I chop and change, combine methods, use lots of layer masks, and such like.

I once published a tutorial on using the Art History Brush here on Wetcanvas. See on this link - its a pfd file called "Pink Umbrella".

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=566897

These days there are lots of manipulation and digital painting Apps available for smart phones. I don't use a smart phone yet - so cannot comment knowledgeably on the topic.

regards - Peter
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-23-2017, 08:35 AM
Williamsburg, VA

Hails from United States

It took me a little while to get here. Great images everyone! Some really fine art has been posted this month. Here is my attempt:

#49   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-23-2017, 11:57 PM
Washington

Hails from United States

Robert - WOW and that is a challenging ref image too, very nice.
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-24-2017, 03:51 AM
London

Hails from United Kingdom

Hal - great vibrant painting...I particularly like your treatment of the reflections in the glass and the shadows.

Robert - a beautiful calm scene - I'd like to be there!
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-24-2017, 06:05 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Germany

Back from Italy!
Now you may guess where the pictures for the July challenge were taken
I still need some time to get used to the daily routine again and even painting feels still a bit awkward.
But here is my attempt for this month.
Canadian coast in watercolor on Arches paper (30x40cm)

C&C always welcome

Esther
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-24-2017, 06:29 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Germany

Peter - have have really been very creative this month. Every one is unique in style and well elaborated. Hats off to you.

Kate - you have really explored the coast picture. I like the Yupo version best and Yupo is such a difficult support.

Mike - a beautiful little painting. Very atmospheric!

Leslie - your painting shows all the attraction and charm a pastel painting can have.

Robert - the simplified shapes with the well chosen colors look really good. Is it oil?
Looks a bit like that.

Hal - not overworked. Just right! Well done.

Patty - I am impressed that you still have the energy to do such a good painting. I like especially the cliff. Good luck and recovery to you.

Maria - well done, especially after such a long break.

Esther
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-24-2017, 09:09 AM
Ontario Canada

Hails from Canada

I take a couple of days off and come back to see more excellent work on display!

Great textures, Peter!

Hal, you chose quite a difficult subject for watercolour and I think the handling of all the detail etc. has come out really well!

Robert, very atmospheric rendition of that sunset across the bay.

Esther, welcome back...Italy....I'm soooooo jealous...looking forward to next month!
Another great watercolour...I really like your choices in simplifying the composition / use of muted colour.

It's very impressive to see the variety of ideas.
Cheers Leslie
Save
Save
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2017, 03:33 AM
Lord of the Arts
DFW, Texas

Hails from United States

Esther, I absolutely love your watercolor!
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2017, 11:02 PM
Washington

Hails from United States

Hi All,

I promised to comment so here we go. Overall a big for everyone!!! And thank you Leslie for the wonderful reference photos.

Peter - You amaze me with your creative takes on ALL of your pictures. Always stunning to view. We should have a challenge on just your renditions.

Deb - I like the colors in your sea scene - powerful and good depth.

Kate - Very nice strong colors. Really like the YUPO paper one. The acrylic is good too. Nice restraint on the clouds and excellent land texture/depth.

Mike - Nice moody feel to yours. The light is well done.

Leslie - Your 2016 painting is wonderful and colorful. Love the sunset colors.

ntl - The brush work and knife did well on yours and in oil to boot. I like the ocean waves and sea color.

Maria - Keep going - worked out well on cardboard.I like what you have done after a break.

Patty - That is lively and well done. Nice colors and depth. Love the greens. Prayers that the 6th round was fully successful and healing.

Hal - again, all I can say is ...love the shadows and light.

Robert - Yup - again - WOW still.

Esther - Really love the colors and soft feel to the sea scene. Nice mood. I want to just sit on the beach. Excellent.

Hope I commented on everyone's. Cheers.
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-27-2017, 11:06 AM
Enthusiast

Hi Maria! You can purchase tiny canvasboards in bulk from some of the discount art supply online stores. Jerry's Artsarama usually has pretty good prices and I've found that 5x7 inches is a good size to use when you don't have a lot of work and storage space. You can learn a lot about color and composition while working small. Just as much as if you were working on wall sized paintings, but at a fraction of the cost. I would suggest that you store them flat in small boxes and layer a sheet of glacine or butcher paper or cellophane between each work so they don't adhere to one another, though I generally only have that problem with oils that haven't thoroughly cured before storage. They may be dry to the touch, but they will still stick to each other sometimes. Small works also save you lots of money on paint, which these days can cost an arm and a leg! But do start to work on canvasboards instead of gessoed cardboard. That way if you have some that are really nice they will last a lot longer for you!
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-27-2017, 04:23 PM
Lord of the Arts
DFW, Texas

Hails from United States

Thank you! I do have some canvas boards. They are not favorite surface ... I use them for swaps and stuff. But I will check your links!

I really appreciate it.
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-27-2017, 04:43 PM
Enthusiast

6x9 coastal landscape. Stonehenge aquarelle 140lb cold press paper.
Hand mixed Azurite watercolor paint. Daniel Smith primatek genuine gemstone paints, colors are sugalite, Amazonite, Sleeping beauty turquoise, and two colors from their regular paint line, cascade green and a spring green as well as a hint of ultramarine blue and yellow ochre. The whitecaps and mist are simply the color of the white paper showing through as it should be in most watercolors. Occasionally I,will throw in highlights with titanium white, but not on this painting. I may just do another one before the month is out if the mood strikes.
Attached Images

#59   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-27-2017, 05:53 PM
Enthusiast

www.jerrysartarama.com , www.cheapjoes.com www.merriartist.com are all good sites. www.dickblick.com is good as well. I have purchased supplies from all of them.

Last edited by Deborah Susan Hill : 06-27-2017 at 05:56 PM.
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2017, 06:29 PM
Lord of the Arts
DFW, Texas

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah Susan Hill
6x9 coastal landscape. Stonehenge aquarelle 140lb cold press paper.
Hand mixed Azurite watercolor paint. Daniel Smith primatek genuine gemstone paints, colors are sugalite, Amazonite, Sleeping beauty turquoise, and two colors from their regular paint line, cascade green and a spring green as well as a hint of ultramarine blue and yellow ochre. The whitecaps and mist are simply the color of the white paper showing through as it should be in most watercolors. Occasionally I,will throw in highlights with titanium white, but not on this painting. I may just do another one before the month is out if the mood strikes.

Beautiful!