WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > Palette Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1276   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2015, 11:22 AM
Minerva C's Avatar
Minerva C Minerva C is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,126
 
Re: palette addicts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ydatografia
It is indeed and I found it by accident. It fall from the shelf while I was trying to reach something else and opened on the floor. As soon as I saw the enamelled lid, ( such a large mixing space ready made) I bought it immediately. It cost me 2.50 euros , so is a super budget purchase for such a convenient watercolour box.

If you find it somewhere, ( probably at school supplies stores) get one.

I like this idea. Your box looks nice. It can probably hold 55 half pans. I have Always thougt this type of box is too thin for pans and have never tried. Lighter than the black tin watercolour boxes and holds more pans
Reply With Quote
  #1277   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2015, 11:39 AM
chroma's Avatar
chroma chroma is offline
Veteran Member
Tampa Bay Area
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 762
 
Hails from United States
Re: palette addicts

Hello again...after a long, long time. I've had heallth issues, and we moved. Much stuff stayed in storage - like art supplies. I hope to paint and post regularly now but who knows? My life ie full of surprises. I know it's that way for everyone.

Anyway, it's nice to be back, at least for a while. Now I'm going to go try to post a painting!

bj aka Chroma
__________________
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
Reply With Quote
  #1278   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2015, 03:56 PM
alansam alansam is offline
Lord of the Arts
hindley nr wigan lancashire uk
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,264
 
Hails from England
Re: palette addicts

we don't see many wooden pan palettes on here ,and yet they used to sell them made of all wood..... pans and wells .
.I do think it is possible to make one and given a good coat of varnish would be fine to use ,I have used wooden dividers in my palette for years ,and no sign of rust (joke))
Reply With Quote
  #1279   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2015, 04:08 PM
Minerva C's Avatar
Minerva C Minerva C is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,126
 
Re: palette addicts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansam
we don't see many wooden pan palettes on here ,and yet they used to sell them made of all wood..... pans and wells .
.I do think it is possible to make one and given a good coat of varnish would be fine to use ,I have used wooden dividers in my palette for years ,and no sign of rust (joke))

I posted one a little while ago, and I´m looking for the "perfect" wooden box for pans. I have been drooling over this but it is out of reach for the moment.

https://www.royaltalens.com/brands/r...ur-box-master/
Reply With Quote
  #1280   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2015, 11:16 PM
Classical Taste Classical Taste is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 50
 
Hails from United States
Re: palette addicts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansam
we don't see many wooden pan palettes on here ,and yet they used to sell them made of all wood..... pans and wells .
.I do think it is possible to make one and given a good coat of varnish would be fine to use ,I have used wooden dividers in my palette for years ,and no sign of rust (joke))

I think I would try a good marine grade penetrating epoxy rather than varnish. Any fault or crack in the varnish would soon lead to mmore severe problems.

Thomas
Reply With Quote
  #1281   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2015, 11:19 PM
Classical Taste Classical Taste is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 50
 
Hails from United States
Re: palette addicts

Marialena

Very nice find.

Thomas
Reply With Quote
  #1282   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-30-2015, 09:27 AM
HarvestMoon's Avatar
HarvestMoon HarvestMoon is offline
A WC! Legend
Texas
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 23,300
 
Hails from United States
Re: palette addicts

Well someone asked earlier if I have ever tried the Robax PalettePad 69 or its big brother! Well now I have and I must say I love it! The pad/ palette is made up of very thick, sturdy, but lightweight material that will not bend or buckle. It has a beautifully crafted little stand that is made of wood, and is actually a little box for storing a waterbrush! It has a sliding door that reminds me of opening a hidden treasure box. The box allows the surface to sit up at just the right tilt for watercolor artists! But best of all is that I can use this absolutely anywhere! On a desk, in my lap, even in bed with a waterbrush on bad days!

This summer I put together a lot of travel kits, and also converted my day- timer into a paper holder for travel. The one thing missing was this! A wonderful surface to paint on, as well as a palette that allows colors to be mixed below them! At first I thought the design was odd. I imagined the paint would run down the paper, and I did not see the advantage of letting the colors mingle below the separated top palette area. Now I can see that it is genius! I thought I was DONE buying palettes now, but might have to have Big Brother of this one for my desk, to go next to my 18 inch in diameter rotates on a carousel Robax palette!

__________________
Linda 🐐

Be quick to forgive, we all make mistakes. That is what makes us human.
Reply With Quote
  #1283   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-30-2015, 09:50 PM
Superturtle's Avatar
Superturtle Superturtle is offline
Veteran Member
Washington
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 769
 
Hails from United States
Re: palette addicts

That's a really cool design! I'm glad they don't make one that could fit quarter or half sheets, because that's one more thing I'd be sorely tempted to buy.
Reply With Quote
  #1284   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2015, 06:16 AM
MarialenaS MarialenaS is offline
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,832
 
Re: palette addicts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minerva C
I like this idea. Your box looks nice. It can probably hold 55 half pans. I have Always thougt this type of box is too thin for pans and have never tried. Lighter than the black tin watercolour boxes and holds more pans

I haven't count how many half pans can hold.. ( in fact I don't have that many). But I guess that holds over 50 for sure as I currently have place 27 and I have filled only the first three rows..

It is thin but not that thin not to be able to place half ( and full pans ) there. I stick pieces of magnet sheet under my pans, but as the box is shallow the lid holds them in place too. So nothing moves out of place in there.

But what I like the most is that it is ready made stuff. No need to paint the lid on the inside, it is already enamelled and no need to paint it in the outside.

And I want to place the question of the century now because this is my query right now:

This box is flat, convenient, light can hold a load of pans in there and has plenty of mixing space. ( if it had a little divider on the inside of the lid would be even better.. but ok .. it does the job as it is now too).

Why paint companies don't use such simple and functional design to make their watercolour boxes, but they fill the whole universe with heavy, bulk, "transformers" like usually plastic boxes, ( but metal ones are not better in most of the cases) that need three hands to open it and five to hold them ( with all these pieces they put on them)??

Less and simple is more.. Is it so difficult for them to understand it??
__________________
My website

Last edited by MarialenaS : 08-31-2015 at 06:19 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #1285   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2015, 06:30 AM
MarialenaS MarialenaS is offline
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,832
 
Re: palette addicts

More photographs.. ( not only for you but for the watercolour companies in case they want to embrace design simplicity ).

Some photos with random sketching stuff in it and some of the side of the box and on my A5 sketchbook in order to get an idea of its size.







__________________
My website
Reply With Quote
  #1286   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2015, 09:28 AM
HarvestMoon's Avatar
HarvestMoon HarvestMoon is offline
A WC! Legend
Texas
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 23,300
 
Hails from United States
Re: palette addicts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superturtle
That's a really cool design! I'm glad they don't make one that could fit quarter or half sheets, because that's one more thing I'd be sorely tempted to buy.

They make one that will fit 9 x 12 either direction.....I also discovered it is a great drawing surface! You can put pencils up in the palette area and the super smooth 1/4 in. Thick plastic is perfect to draw goats on!
__________________
Linda 🐐

Be quick to forgive, we all make mistakes. That is what makes us human.
Reply With Quote
  #1287   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2015, 01:52 PM
Minerva C's Avatar
Minerva C Minerva C is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,126
 
Re: palette addicts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chroma
Hello again...after a long, long time. I've had heallth issues, and we moved. Much stuff stayed in storage - like art supplies. I hope to paint and post regularly now but who knows? My life ie full of surprises. I know it's that way for everyone.

Anyway, it's nice to be back, at least for a while. Now I'm going to go try to post a painting!

bj aka Chroma

Hello and welcome
Yes, life can be quite unpredictable.
Reply With Quote
  #1288   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2015, 04:03 PM
Minerva C's Avatar
Minerva C Minerva C is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,126
 
Re: palette addicts

Marialena, I agree with you about boxes. There has not been much development and there should be a slim model. There actually is a slimmer model for 12 and 24 half pans without the extra mixing area. If I find a picture I will post a link.
I have removed the extra fold out mixing area in a 48 half pan black tin box to make it more convenient to use.
Reply With Quote
  #1289   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2015, 04:06 PM
Minerva C's Avatar
Minerva C Minerva C is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,126
 
Re: palette addicts

Here one model of a more simple tin box model can be seen.

http://www.jacksonsart.com/Art_Depar...299/index.html
Reply With Quote
  #1290   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2015, 08:35 AM
MarialenaS MarialenaS is offline
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,832
 
Re: palette addicts

I have, ( somewhere lost in my drawers ) a similar box with this extra flap you say, that I never used and probably I will not. Except that is very heavy, ( filled with colours weights about 600 grs) the extra mixing area that has is problematic and useless because this extra flap ( lid of whatever is called) stands actually "in the air". I mean that even if you place this box on a desk this extra flap doesn't lie on the surface flat but as it is attached on the rim of the box leans downwards and so watercolour mixes run out of it. So what is the point of having it in the first place?
The model you show here is of the "good" ones though but I doubt if it is that light too.
All these boxes are too heavy either way for the number of pans they can hold, because they have in the inside the extra metal rack too ( or how is called ) that holds the pans in place.

Generally the whole way they make boxes is heavy, bulk and inconvenient for outdoor painting. Companies don't seem to understand that someone who paints outdoors doesn't hold only the box but a load of other things and so the weight can be an issue.

For me the best watercolor box has to be light, spacey, with lot of mixing space, flat or in a shape that doesn't occupy a lot of space in my hand bag, rust proof, break proof and can hold load of pans that can be interchanged easily. ( and not wells that hold permanently the paints in there because the colour palette needed each time can change depending the place you go for painting).

Plastic boxes are a no-no because they stain, brass boxes are a no-no because they are heavy, boxes with permanent divided well are a no-no because you can't change easy your colours, boxes of the "transformers" kind ( with lot of flaps, attached containers etc) are not suitable because occupy a lot of space when they are unfolded and it is sure that in the end something will be lost/forgotten in the field.

Do I ask too much from a box?? Probably...
__________________
My website
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:28 PM.


© 2014 F+W All rights reserved.