WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Photography > The Shutterbug Pub
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2014, 10:38 AM

Who is a Photoartist - jGibney

I am a Photoartist. I photograph the image I like, print it on canvas then enhance the Art object. Rephotograph or scan and then print the Art I wish to sell. I only sell Photo Art Giclee Prints. I use a 9600 Epson Printer to produce my Giclees and prints. I also use Zazzle.com

jGibney Photoartist

Do you do photoart and what are your techniques - let me know
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2014, 01:06 PM
WC! Guide
Chattanooga, TN

Hails from United States
Re: Who is a Photoartist - jGibney

Because I enjoy many mediums, I call myself an Artist.
Phot-artist seems so limiting.
My camera creates fine photography, reference phots, WIPS, and phots of finished art.

Always glad to see new artists , please feel free to join in the Daily, and we sure would like to see what you are currently creating

welcome!

greggo
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2014, 02:37 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
USA, on the edge of an atom

Hails from United States

Welcome! Look forward to seeing your work. Enjoy the site, lots to do and see.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2014, 11:08 PM
Sterling Heights, Michigan

Hails from United States

Hello JGibney, glad to meet you.
I think I follow your steps. I have a question. After you have photographed the object and printed it on canvas, you say that you enhance the Art Object. Is the Art Object the " thing you originally took a photo of" (and how do you enhance it)? Or is the Art Object "the print on the canvas" (and how do you enhance it). It sounds very intriguing and I also hope you share some of your work with us.

Do you have a website?
LORELL
I do not photoart.

"What we do during our working hours determines what we have; what we do during our leisure hours determines what we are. " - George Eastman
Nikon D5100, 16-300mm Tamron lens, Tamron 90mm Macro lens
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2014, 09:19 AM

zazzle.com/The_MUSEUM* website
http://www.zazzle.com/jgibney+gifts

maybe you just want to touch up some areas or paint something new onto the canvas or block out some areas - it's an opportunity to use something old and add something new - it's like Chet Atkins laying down new tracks combining with an old track of music to create a new sound - contrafact is a musical composition consisting of a new melody overlaid on a familiar harmonic structure. example John Henry "Johnny" Smith (June 25, 1922 – June 11, 2013) was an American cool jazz and mainstream jazz guitarist. He wrote the tune "Walk, Don't Run" in 1954 - Chet Atkins recorded a popular rendition of the song

many artist paint the same scene over and over again - same thing but different
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2014, 11:18 AM
WC! Guide
Chattanooga, TN

Hails from United States

Please post some of your work here so we can see what you mean. If you have "before and after" photos it might clear it up.
(sorry...I rarely go to links on the web anymore, too risky)

"...touch up some areas or paint something new onto the canvas or block out some areas..." this sounds like the kind of phot-retouching I learned years ago in a college course, and is now often done in PhotoShop-type programs on the computer all the time.
If you are referring to painting over a print on canvas then it is referred to as mixed media.
be aware thet not all surfaces are compatible with all mediums and can cause lifting and may not be archival. The technical departments of paint manufacturers can advise on the specifics.

The difference in surface finish may turn off some buyers, and not all canvas prints can be varnished (or so I read somewhere)

greggo
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-13-2014, 09:52 AM

breck1999photo1z800.jpg is photo at Breckenridge CO printed on canvas
reck1999art1z800.jpg image painted over
Breckenridge Colorado jGibney 2a2jpg800.jpg printed on canvas and enhanced

Finished product has a 3-D effect with depth when viewed at proper distance of sized canvas

Hope, this helps and encourages

jGibney
zazzle.com/The_MUSEUM*
Attached Images

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-13-2014, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member

Nice photo. Can you explain what the other two images (digital sketches?) are for? I don't quite understand what you're showing us here.

Mike
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-15-2014, 10:30 AM

Step one take photo
Step two print and produce on canvas - paint over and enhance
Step three scan - print on canvas - paint over and enhance - this is the finished prodcut

hope this helps
jGibney
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-15-2014, 11:28 AM
A Local Legend
West coast USA

Hails from United States

Pretty landscape photo. I don't quite understand why you are painting over a photo though. Why not just paint from scratch on the canvas?
Canon SX40HS...Sony Cybershot WX300...... Sony Nex-6.... Sony E 30mm f/3.5 macro, Sony E50mm f/1.8 OSS, Sony E 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS, Sony E 55-210mm f/4.5-6.3 OSS, Sony LA-EA2 adapter...Paint Shop Pro
Sherrys Blog Spot SmArtsyJewelry
My Gallery
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2014, 01:19 PM

Because i am a Photoartist - but i am also a photographer, cinematographer, videographer, artist, graphic artist, printmaker (9600 Epson), poet, playwright, and i am working on a novel about the 1st Emperor of China - Qin Shi Huangdi

jGibney
zazzle.com/The_MUSEUM*
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2014, 04:13 AM
Veteran Member

Printmaker (9600 Epson) !!??
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2014, 05:14 PM
WC! Guide
Chattanooga, TN

Hails from United States

Do you paint over the printed canvas with oils or acrylics?
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-19-2014, 08:54 AM

yes, oils and acrylics to include pen, pencil, markers, charcoal, watercolor and any media that will achieve the results i am looking to achieve - i use a fix spray to lock down some of the media - sometimes the image is produced on paper, photo paper, canvas or silk - but the final image is always produced on canvas where it still maybe enhanced - if you will look at image 3 -
Breckenridge Colorado jGibney 2a2jpg800.jpg you will see that the grass and foreground was add by using color pencil and acrylics - as to cracking - i've not seen it happen on the originals - but i do not sell originals only giclee prints - so there is no worry about cracking - oh, by the way an (9600 Epson) !!?? is a printer that prints 40 inch by 100 inch giclees

jGibney
zazzle.com/The_MUSEUM*