WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-22-2013, 05:39 PM

pastel pencils less dusty?

I used to work in soft pastel years ago, but left it behind because I developed asthma. I currently work in colored pencil and oil pastel (and I love both), but sometimes I desire the soft pastel.

If I worked on a smoother paper, would the pastel pencils be relatively dust free? I am thinking of the new softer Derwent, Carbs, Pitts,or Caran.

Thanks
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2013, 11:48 AM
Oakville, Ontario

Hails from Canada
Re: pastel pencils less dusty?

They are definitely less dusty and I especially like the PITT Pastel pencils by Faber-Castell. You can even sharpen them in a hand or electric sharpener and the points don't break off. The only thing I find is that your painting ends up looking more like a drawing if you use just the pencils. So I combine my paintings with Pan Pastels. All the best!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2013, 03:50 PM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

The least amount of loose dust you can get is, IMHO, using panpastels on Pastelmat.

The combination of paper and pastels or pencils plays a huge role in how much loose dust is generated. The really sandpapery papers (with grit on top of the glue/gesso) holds pigments better, plus Pastelmat, it is really good too.

I have asthma, and work on sandpaper and Pastelmat. I have one of those air purifiers with hepa filters, and I put it on when I brush off pigment, or rub pigment in. Otherwise I don't need it (as long as I keep the studio reasonably clean).

Charlie's Site/Blog, and Pastel Guild of Europe
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-24-2013, 07:40 AM
Enthusiast
Finland

Hails from Finland

I have problem with some brand pastels i think Rembrandt (but based only 3) is problematic for me but Schmincke and Unison is not. I also otherways like more these Schminckes and Unisons. i talk how they feel and their colour range. ps. i don have asthma or maybe i have but i dont know...
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-24-2013, 10:01 AM
Buffalo, NY

Out of the pastel pencils I've tried, Conte seems the most dusty--I think the Pitt, Derwent and Carb-Othello have all been fairly light on the dust. Almost no dust with Caran d'Ache cubes and a little bit with NuPastel.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-25-2013, 02:08 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Pastel pencils are quite a bit less dusty in my experience, any brand. Hard pastels are similar and less dusty than softer ones. Pan Pastels are the least dusty, although it's possible to get a little bit of loose dust in the pan itself if you dab it too many times and scrub it in heavily trying to pick up more color. I did that a few times and found that leaving it there, then picking it up on later strokes worked.

They work well in combination too.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2014, 10:20 AM

Thanks so much for your answers. I will think on this some more.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2014, 10:39 AM

Thanks so much for your answers. I will think on this some more.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2014, 04:52 PM
Enthusiast
Salmon Arm, BC Canada

Hails from Canada

Im quite surprised you have had issues with your asthma & the pastels! Ive had asthma since I was a small boy but never once have seen any reaction from the pastels. Does it happen immediately? Or only after you've used them for a while? I could see fixative having an effect (i always spray outside & mostly infrequently) but im surprised about the pastels themselves.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2014, 10:56 PM
Veteran Member
Genelle, BC

Hails from Canada

Dust has become less and less as I have learned to work with a lighter touch. When I first started, I was amazed at how much dust I created ...and how it landed everywhere!