WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Drawing and Sketching
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2013, 12:29 AM

Question original vs. giclee prints in juried shows

Some advice please.... I did a graphite/charcoal drawing recently that I would like to enter into a juried show. I had a giclee print made of the same piece (not sure if I want to part with the original) and was wondering which piece would I have to enter into the show if selected? They are obviously the same image but the giclee print does have a "whiter" background as the printer (with permission) lightened it to help remove a yellow tint on my original drawing paper. I have only seen one prospectus which specifically stated artwork entered must be "the" original and not a reproduction of any kind so wanted to get feedback if generally ok to enter a giclee. When rules state "artwork must be original" I interpret is they are stating artwork must be original concept, not copied from other artist's work, etc. so not sure if it would relate to prints or not. Thanks for any input.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2013, 02:57 AM
A village near Antwerp

Hails from Belgium
Re: original vs. giclee prints in juried shows

Welcome to WetCanvas.
Giclee is not a print, in the artist sense of the word, it is just a glorified inkjet printer copy. Drop the name giclee in the Printmaking forum and you get an avalanche of acid remarks.
So no, giclee is not original artwork, it on the same level as poster reproductions.

Drawing and Sketching Forum Guide for D&S Classroom
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2013, 04:56 AM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States

Hello ... welcome to WC.

I agree with Arnoud ... a print - even more so one that has been retouched - is completely unacceptable for entry. You should always submit original work to any show.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-17-2013, 09:31 AM

Thanks to you both for the perspective (and the warning! ) I vaguely remember taking a printmaking class (woodcut) in college many, many moons ago so I can appreciate the difference in a hand pulled print (no two will ever be exactly alike!) vs a ink jet generated print, scratch that -- reproduction. I would never claim a reproduction as an original so your comments helped clarify that I would be inadvertently doing just that if I were to enter anything other than the original artwork itself. I guess my thoughts were torn over what I would do if something were to happen to it (the original) during transit as obviously a reproduction would be more replaceable, but I guess that is where careful packaging would come in to play. Thanks again, Susan
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-17-2013, 11:23 AM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States

You should insure the package in any case ...
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2013, 04:58 PM

Arnoud,

Giclee printing is anything but a poster reproduction, if you give the same time and effort in scanning and setup as you would in printing the results are spectacular.

Take a look at some Piezography prints in person, you might be surprised.

Also, all prints are reproductions in some way ... try to get graphite shine on a print... therefore I don't think any form would be acceptable in a juried show.