WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > WetCanvas Site Discussions > PROJECT: Product Reviews
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-02-2002, 02:20 PM
A Local Legend
Atlanta, GA

Well there seems to be no need for watercolors in the review system - moving on to the next one then ...
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-10-2002, 07:07 PM
Enthusiast
Ruther Glen, VA. USA

Hails from United States
Scott.... are you talking about something similar to the "Wilcox Guide to the best Watercolor Paints".. ?
I use this to rate brands and colors. It is very informative and sounds to me like it is just what you are asking for. It is published by Colour School Publishers, and seem quite un-biased, about brands etc.
Carol
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2003, 07:46 PM
A Local Legend
UK

Hails from England
Hi Scott!
I have just been reading through all of the threads related to this one and, although I feel for you (It's quite a challenge you are tackling here!) I have to agree that I can't see it being of any help evaluating just the brand names.
I have only been using watercolour for a few weeks and it is so much more complex than just brands. I have 5 different brands in my art box now and they are all excellent in different ways! Mostly I would gather that the divide isn't brand but artist and student quality. Once into the artist quality it's just a case of selecting the pallette you require, which is where pigment, transparency, luminousity etc.... come into the equation.

I think that on other forums this would be really helpful, as one usually purchases "A" box of pastels as opposed to a stick from various brands......Maybe I am wrong?

As a newcomer to watercolour I need to know more than just what brand is best for what, I need to know which "colour" paint does what and what brand name it is under. Selecting the wrong green could make my piece turn "muddy", I need to know which green is more translucent, which green compliments which red the best etc..
Paints are so expensive, I can't afford to purchase a whole brands' range and try them all out myself, I need a "taylor made" pallette and info on how to aquire that.

Sorry to dampen your effort but I think it will be alot of work for the information it will provide us with!
Attached Images

#34   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2003, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member
Pecos, NM 87552

Hails from United States
questions

A suggestion for one of the rating criteria could be AVAILABILITY.

I am a gouache artist, and find it very difficult to purchase only Windsor Newton brand in my area. And what's worse, even the vendors seem to have a limited amount of colors in stock. Of course, on-line purchases can be done, but when I run out of a specific color during a project, I would hope the local art supply store could carry what I need. I'm not talking any exotic colors, either.

Knowing which brand(s) and selection are more readily carried and where would definite influence my purchases from vendors.
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2003, 07:22 PM
A WC! Legend
Australia

Do you have any links for artisits supplies in Brisbane Australia???

Blog
~ Location Sketches ~
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2003, 11:26 PM
WC! Guide
The Rockies, Montana, USA

Hails from United States
I'm sorry

I am trying to understand

Because Rich Williams and others state that one BRAND of watercolor paint does not do it....that they vary by the tube...you state...MOVING on

and there goes watercolor?

Have I missed a chapter?

Scott

watercolor paint VARIES

we don't make this up...it's true

you cannot generalize by BRAND

PLEASE

Pam
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-14-2003, 01:30 AM
A Local Legend
Atlanta, GA

I disagree - I still think there are certain "ratable" questions that one can ask about all brands of watercolors - whether or not we have identified (or can easily identify) them, is another story.

Nevertheless, it looks as if the watercolor group here is against it, and thats ok. Look for watercolors to be rolled out soon - probably with just a simple "overall rating" question ...
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2004, 12:16 PM
A Local Legend
Atlanta, GA

Re: FOCUS GROUP: Watercolor Paints/Mediums/etc.

Watercolors and watercolor mediums have now been activated in the review library ...