WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Structured Critiques
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-27-2003, 11:51 AM
Cafe Alumnus
USA, GA

Hails from United States
Peach Trees in Spring

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Peach Trees in Spring
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 11x14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Started as a plein air. Would like to add some finishing touches but not more than 20%.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any suggestions you can give me to make this painting or future paintings similar to this one will be greatly appreciated. I'm working on a series of peach tree paintings and need help to come up with a good compostition.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-27-2003, 04:53 PM
A Local Legend
Levin, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand
I just love the way you've done the grass..very original..
I was hoping the painting would look like I pictured before I looked and it did!! especially the colours/pastel effect..and expressiveness..
My first reaction on thinking about your questions is I would love to see the focal tree(on our left) larger..perhaps the trunk and centre of the tree set lower, but stuill extending up to where it does...
The two trees seem very similar(and of course they may well be in RL)..it may help to have a little variation between them as far as shape goes..
the grass line not following the tree exactly(left) may improve the 'looking thru' effect too...
Perhaps the second tree's darks could be toned down a little to emphasise the depth perception...
I would love to see more like this...
of course you don't have to do everything suggested..or even any of it..just some thoughts..
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2003, 01:01 AM
Dana Design

Perhaps the tree in the back could be grayed or toned down a bit? It's blending too closely with the trees toward the front of the painting. No definition. Also agree with toning down the darks on the tree in the back.
Nice Spring groundcover.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2003, 08:47 PM
Nashville, TN

Hails from United States
Hi Phyllis,

The first thing that strikes me about your painting is how small the trees look. They could be shrubs, saplings or bonsai! I tend to view trees as majestic, powerful and beautiful. The reason I get this impression is the large, overly consistant brushstrokes and the perspective you have chosen to paint the trees in.

Because there is such a sameness to your brushstrokes (it looks like you used only one or two brushes) it gives the impression that the tops of the trees are only slightly larger than the blades of grass surrounding the tree. It gives the trees a very squat appearence, hence short, hence small looking. Please consider varying your brushstroke sizes to reinforce size differences in your paintings. Use smaller brush to paint the grass and details of the tree and a larger brush for trunks.

Secondly, because you have chosen what appears to be an overhead view of the trees, your perspecitive reinforces the smallness of the trees, like I could step on one. Consider shifting your point of view downward as if you were looking at them straight on or underneath their branches.

Your brushstrokes show so much confidence, it looks like you have plenty of it to share! I don't want any of your paintings to lose that energy, but please consider my suggestions to give your trees more presence.

Sara
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2003, 08:01 AM
Cafe Alumnus
USA, GA

Hails from United States
Gosh, thanks so much for all the great advice. I'll be working on this a bit more, but because it's a plein air piece, I don't want to over do. I do, however, want to be ready for next Spring when the peach trees bloom again and with this great advice, I will be.

Peach trees are very short. If they do happen to have branches that grow straight up, they crop them so picking the peaches will be easier. Standing out in the fields, I can almost reach the tops of them and I am only 5'3. The most breathtaking view is looking down on rows and rows of blooming trees and this painting was done with me standing on a slight ridge.

Sara, you are right, I did only use one brush. I'm taking your advice and switching brushes for the grasses and such. So much to think about and such good advice from all. Thank you all so much.

Here is an image of me painting a different day. Painting this day with pastels, but it will show you the size of the trees. They are wonderful in the Spring.

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2003, 11:10 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States
Of all the other comments... mine is that there isn't enough empty space in this painting. It's a little too busy. I do like the way you've painted the grass. It's at once the best and worst of the painting. However, if you want the focus to be on the trees, the grass does take away that focus. The way it is now, nothing holds more importance than anything else.

You make this painting work well despite whatever you didn't leave out. I find myself loving it and then being interrupted by the busy feel of it and crowdedness. I suggest you try working on larger canvas or paper.

To look at nature is to see the emptiness. It's snowing outside my window and I notice the spaces between each snowflake. The leaves on trees are given their own place, alone but connected. Really, there is more space than there is activity.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2004, 10:05 AM
Cafe Alumnus
USA, GA

Hails from United States
Re: Peach Trees in Spring

Sorry for the delay in getting back to everyone's comments. They are so much appreciated.

I did take your words to heart and they will stay with me when I'm painting in the future for sure. For now, I've touched this painting about all I can and will have to let it go. It was fun and quite a learning experience. I can't wait until the peach trees bloom again this Spring. I'll be out there and trying again to catch that WOW that made me want to paint them.

Here is the final.
Attached Images

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2004, 09:58 PM
A Local Legend
Levin, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

I love this..so much airy-er..they don't look top heavy now!! fabulous..I DO know what you mean about capturing the feel of a place though..I am having more success now I've tried using a knife..I love it..
I know soemone in CP who tried a new technique and has now found it REALLY works magic for her...
dont you just love the sky..reminds me of hot summer days..
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2004, 11:35 PM
A Local Legend
Portland OR

Hails from United States

IIlis what a great result! your revisions are just what the doctor ordered--you took your pleasant-enough painting and made it soar! I am amazed at the difference between your two paintings. In particular the shadows are now beautiful--so lusciously dark in the 2nd effort. Your painting has a wonderful out in the great outdoors feeling! what I completely enjoy is the variety of colors and brushstrokes the 2nd painting affords. It was missing in the first. Bravo--you deserve alot of credit for honing your skills. Hope to see more in the future.