WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Drawing and Sketching
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2012, 01:00 PM

Darrel Tank's 5 pencil method

Anyone ever heard of this? Ive watched a LOT of the videos and he actually teaches online. His work is pretty awesome with portraits. Would it be worth the 40 per month to take his courses online? Anyone heard of or taken them?

http://www.fivepencilmethod.com/?gcl...Fao7Mgod5XoABg
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2012, 01:29 PM
A WC! Legend
a German living in Ireland

Hails from Ireland
Re: Darrel Tank's 5 pencil method

this was discussed lately and you might like to take a look and read there

LINK

"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2012, 01:51 PM
Enthusiast

I have a question for Ken please. I am always curious as to why some people, as you have mentioned in the past, draw every day/week, take regular lessons and yet never seem to improve. If they take lessons and draw regularly, are they not destined to get better? Is there something special required inside a person in order for him/her to click and "get it"? Is there an "artist" in all of us?

Thanks Ken.
daisie
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2012, 03:59 PM
A WC! Legend
Denver, CO

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisie
I have a question for Ken please. I am always curious as to why some people, as you have mentioned in the past, draw every day/week, take regular lessons and yet never seem to improve. If they take lessons and draw regularly, are they not destined to get better? Is there something special required inside a person in order for him/her to click and "get it"? Is there an "artist" in all of us?

Thanks Ken.
daisie

I know you addressed this to Ken, but I wanna take a shot at it, it is not just the practice, but they have to be able to recognize the errors and mistakes and strive to correct them on the next drawing, also to continually challenge one's self with new and more difficult drawings as well as to deliberately choose drawings that require one to grow and learn and get better.

This is true of any artistic creative pursuit.

Just repeating the same errors over and over does nothing but reinforce them.

I believe everyone has a creative spark, but many (most?) never act on it for a variety of reasons.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2012, 05:17 PM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisie

Thanks Ken.
daisie
Armin and some others have said they do not believe in talent. After due consideration of their positions I have to respectfully disagree. If the quality of work and amount of skill only amounts to practice then everyone would be as good as the amount of time they spent drawing (in this case). Just a little comparison of work will show this not to be the case. I know one person in particular locally, who has taken every drawing class available with instructors - including several years of private instruction at the Atlantic Center For the Arts with professional artists as well as local colleges. She has studied life drawing and copying photos. She was in my first drawing class 7 years ago and I understand she had begun drawing about 5 years before that. Her work is ... well ... terrible. She loves to draw and does it constantly, but there has been no improvement in a number of years. On the other hand, we've all seen people who seem to have a "knack" for some skill and pick up on it very rapidly. I believe from my observation and experience over the years that there is something inside some people that allows them to progress rapidly in skill - I call it talent. Armin refers to them as prodigies .. but I fail to understand how we can accept prodigies and yet not allow for talent on a lesser level. I also believe there is something creative within nearly everyone but we must find an outlet. For some it might be drawing or painting, for others woodworking or glass blowing ... still others might find it in flower arranging or gardening .. there are unlimited outlets with no one being "better" than another.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now back to the subject at hand .. the 5 pencil method. Darrel is a wonderful artist .. his work is very recognizable and a lot of it has to do with his method of work. I have seen a number of his lessons and find the quality of the video and instruction to be excellent. However, after seeing him draw one thing - or even part of one thing, the method becomes quite clear. No amount of viewing beyond that is going to do much good because his method, like any other, is based mostly on practice.

And his method is not the only way to approach drawing. His relies strongly on very sharp pencils and what he calls a tapered stroke. This works for him .. not at all for me. My work is nearly all done with a rather dull pencil. He uses the tip ... I use the side. Our work is different in appearance but neither is better or worse. My work appeals to some while Darrel's appeals to others. There is no one "right" way to draw.

I think a new artist would do well to try the classes in our classroom here. They cover everything from perspective to geometric shapes to fur to landscapes to many more advanced subjects. And your work is seen by an experienced artist who will offer advice. You can go at your own speed and the best part is there is no cost. If you get nothing out of it, you haven't lost anything.

Another useful means is to get a good book on drawing and work from that - although I think this method is not as good as the classroom. The reason for that is that in a book the author is teaching their method and usually does not explain alternative techniques. For instance, many, if not most, of the books are for beginners and tend to teach blending as the way to draw skin. While it is indeed a legitimate method, it is by no means the only one although one would not know that simply from reading the book. So, while books can be wonderful tools, they can be a little confusing or perhaps inadvertently misleading. Getting the input of more experienced eyes and other artists is a priceless thing and something a site like this can offer if you keep an open mind and listen to advice and suggestions that are offered. We won't always agree (note my first paragraph to daisie), but the more opinions you hear the more you can learn.

The very best means of learning drawing is to take lessons in person .. but that is not always possible for everyone.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2012, 05:17 PM
A WC! Legend
a German living in Ireland

Hails from Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennychaffin
.....they have to be able to recognize the errors and mistakes and strive to correct them on the next drawing.....

"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2012, 07:56 PM

Ill try the lessons here...the thing is, I learn more from SEEING than from reading. Ill give er the ol college try though.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2012, 08:18 PM
Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Artistic talent= The ability to orchestrate a piece to communicate a thought, subject, or emotion to an audience. Entertainer.

Skill/prodigy= The ability to copy or reproduce what they see, or the potential with enough practice to do so. Illustrator.

Artistic talent+Skill/prodigy= True artist with, or on their way to international fame, often sought after by collectors. AKA Master...

My .02

Only the few with none of the above will never get better or reach a higher level of artistic excellence or skill...
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2012, 08:41 PM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States

Darrel has some free vidsos on youtube ... they aren't entire drawings but you can see him get things started. Watching an entire drawing to me would be something similar to watching paint dry for the most part.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2012, 09:05 PM
Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparrowHawk7
Watching an entire drawing to me would be something similar to watching paint dry for the most part.

I agree...
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2012, 03:59 AM
Queensland

Hails from Australia

There are many wonderful artist & tutorials & Darrel's technique has it's place in helping many get a start into gaining the knowledge to get results. However ultimately if you don't observe and learn from those observations and experiment then you get nowhere. You can put a pencil in anyone's hand but unless that person has the will & desire to go that extra yard then nothing will help them create that something special. Practice is good but one still needs that certain something that's called talent that makes your work stand out above others. All this needs time & dedication to lift your cherished hobby or craft into that higher level. Having said that one can still get masses of pleasure from your art by doing it for oneself regardless of how good it is. Well that's my view anyway.