WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Scratchboard Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2012, 02:36 AM
A WC! Legend
Adelaide, South Australia

Hails from Australia
Stitching multiple images tutorial

We had a discussion about this in another thread but I'm making a dedicated one for future reference. This thread has been saved in the sticky thread called "Helpful tools, tricks and techniques". Look through that thread for a mountain of other useful information about scratchboards and related stuff.

If your work is too big to scan and you don't feel confident to photograph it and get a good result, what do you do? Well, obviously you can scan your art multiple times making certain each corner is scanned and any middle sections that the scanner didn't reach. You now have multiple images so what do you do with these? I used to use "Gimp", a free image manipulation program, and rotate the scans and stitch them together. Though I was quite quick at the process it was still fairly laborious and difficult to explain to anyone new to image manipulation. Jack Forster (jdesign on here) to the rescue. Jack alerted me to a new program so here is how to use it and its benefits.

As can be seen from the images below, I have simply pointed my camera out from my verandah and clicked away randomly. These are the images straight off my camera, shown in 'Windows Explorer'

You will notice that, just for fun, I took one photograph upside down and two on their sides

Click this link.

You install the program from that link, then it asks you to install something else to make it work, and then you try to install it again and it asks you to install something else. Then you try for the third time and you finally have everything you need. This may be different on different computers but on my old thing, that's what happened. Not to worry, no malicious stuff comes with it.

Open this program ("Microsoft Ice"), click "file/new panorama" and then navigate to your scans.

Highlight all your scans (in this case photographs) and hit 'open'. As soon as you do this, it starts to solve the jigsaw puzzle that is your panorama. It shuffles everything into place for you, it rotates ones that are upside down or on their side (or more importantly it rotates by degree ones that are just a little off )

As you can see, my aiming was extremely random because the image below is not exactly well composed. I even missed a bit in the middle which would have really given the program a workout

Click "Export to Disk" and it will save a jpg of the image.

You can crop it in this program or in any of your other programs.

To make this more relevant than a silly panorama of my roof line, this tiger is from four scans and in just a few seconds, I had a perfectly stitched image. Thank you to the developers and to Jack for pointing it out.

Last edited by PatrickHedges : 09-22-2012 at 02:39 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2012, 03:43 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Stitching multiple images tutorial

What and amazing result. An excellent program Patrick.

Doug
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2012, 03:51 AM
WC! Guide
Northern California

Hails from United States

Oh, that is really slick, Patrick - thanks for sharing!!

Web Site - Pet Portraits - Facebook
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2012, 04:55 AM
A Local Legend
Southwestern Corner of Utah

Hails from United States

Wow, at first glance it seems terrific, but can't open it up larger in any other program because of the extension (not .jpg). How do you get it to jpeg?
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2012, 05:20 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

OK, found the answer. If you 'export to disk' on the right, it saves it as jpeg to your computer folder, not to a disk like I was thinking. Sooooo, never mind!!!

It does seem to make a seamless stitching, however it does take all the personal sweat and expertise out of it, lolol. I have a few to scan this weekend and I will try it out further.

Thanks so much Patrick, and Jack Forster (jdesign)!!!!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2012, 03:27 PM
Enthusiast
Loveland, OH.

Hails from United States

AWESOME!!!!
Thanks, Patrick!!! Totally breezy and simple to use, which is just the sort of computer program I need! LOVE IT BUDDY!!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2012, 03:37 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

I went back and looked again on the one it stitched together and even under great amplified scrutiny I cannot find any stitch marks. Perfect!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2012, 11:42 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Went out to Zion National park this afternoon, took lots of pics with several being panoramas. Stitched them together in about 2 minutes including starting the program up. Very impressed.

(and I see you told how to save the program to a jpeg in the instructions. DUH I guess I really need to slow down and read everything....bad habit of mine, speed reading.)
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2012, 04:03 AM
A WC! Legend
Adelaide, South Australia

Hails from Australia

Haha, I do that sometimes, excitedly wanting to try something out Plus compounded by being a guy
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2012, 09:05 AM
A Local Legend
Martha's Vineyard, MA

Hails from United States

Thanks Patrick for a great bit of information.