WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > The Learning Zone
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2012, 12:14 AM
Ga

Hails from United States
Smile DIY Watercolor Kit

I thought I would post this here to maybe help out some artist like me who can't afford the watercolor cottman.
So here it is a cheap way for some thrifty watercolor artist to make his or her own pocket sized watercolor kit. I came up with this ideal after watching a guy on YOUTUBE make a kit from an altoids can.
Buy a cheap eye shadow compact from a dollar store with atleast 8 to 12 seperate color pans in it. Scrape out the makeup and carefully pop out the metal pans with a fingernail file. Wash the whole thing up and scrape off the makeup companie's name with a knife or file; be careful not to cut or stab yourself while doing this. With a sponge brush or something paint the back of the see through lid, not the inside where the makeup is, the outside, with cheap white acrylic paint. It will take a few coats to cover the clear plastic all the way, letting the coats dry in between. When the paint is completely dry, shouldn't take that long being acrylic paint, gloss over the painted side of the lid with sculpey gloss; you could also paint over the white with a black coat of paint before you gloss it if you so want, but I didn't, I put a sticker on mine for extra detail and then glossed over it.
When your done with all of this, fill the empty compartments, not the metal pans you took out, the ones' that make up the compact itself with the tube watercolor paint of your preference. Let the paint air dry. Cut a paintbrush down to the size of the eye brush and place in the eye brush slot. And there you have it! Your own watercolor kit, that is pocket size and was DIY cheap.
Hope ya'll like my ideal, if you do let me know and I'll post more ideals of mine. Hope this helps some of you out. Have fun!

LunarMoth
God can paint the picture no artist can draw, it's a sunset!

Last edited by LunarMoth : 07-28-2012 at 12:17 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2012, 03:11 AM
A WC! Legend
Australia

Re: DIY Watercolor Kit

Go to the Learning Zone and look at the "stickies" at the top of the forum. Click on the last one, HANDBOOK - Monthly classes etc.

Look in handbook, scroll down and you will see Plein Air Field Kits: by Neeman check that out.

There are other links in there somewhere where we have posted threads for our plein air kits, ask Painterbear where they are.

Blog
~ Location Sketches ~
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2012, 09:20 AM
Ga

Hails from United States

Thank you. Sorry When you're new it takes a while to get familier with it all.

LunarMoth
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2012, 09:41 AM
A WC! Legend
Australia

Don't be sorry, this is a huge site, and it really is hard to fond things, so ask away.

Blog
~ Location Sketches ~
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2012, 09:57 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

OK LunarMoth I moved it to the Learning Zone for you.

Doug
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2012, 10:09 AM
Ga

Hails from United States

Thank you again!
LunarMoth
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2012, 10:22 AM
A WC! Legend
Pinehurst, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Lunar, your kit sounds like a great alternative... I never thought of using eye makeup compacts... If you keep and use the metal inserts, as you use up your makeup, you could add new and different colours to your kit. I'd like to see some photos of your setup...

There have been a few discussions concerning Members' creativity and it's always fun to see what others are doing... Here are a few threads for your reading enjoyment:

Pocket Plein Air Kit

My new lil Plein Air Kit

Updated compact field kit

Clicking Here will take you to the Handbook... it's filled with SO much information, you won't lack for reading material for a very long time!

As a note of interest to our Mods: I didn't find a section in the Handbook that was dedicated to handmade paintboxes... And Doug, when I did a Search, I found stuff in a variety of subforums...

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. Leonardo DaVinci
Handbook Index ... Help for Newbies
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2012, 11:07 AM
Ga

Hails from United States

CharM, I 'm so glad you think my ideal is a great alternative!
By the way, thanks for those links, I loved seeing all those clever ideals!
I hope my ideal helps some watercolor artist out in the future.
I will try and post some pictures for you to see.
And yes you can use the metal pans. I used one of them when I ran out of room in my makeup kit to put some white gouache in.
I have more ideals where that came from which I'll gladly post in the future if ya'll wish to see them.

LunarMoth
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2012, 06:08 PM
Ga

Hails from United States

Here is a picture of my DIY watercolor kit. Sorry it's not the best pictures in the world, my dad's phone didn't work out, so I had to work with what I had - my Mp3 player and take the pictures from it. Hope you can make it between all the fuzzyness. lol! Sorry.

LunarMoth

This is the closed case. You can't really see it but there is a cute picture of a ship which I stuck on the lid and glossed over.

This is the case opened up. See the little paint brush I had my dad cut down to size.
Hope you can make it out from all these blurry pictures. lol! Sorry.