WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Pastels > Oil Pastel Studio
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-07-2012, 01:25 AM
Veteran Member
Portland

Hails from United States
Bixby creek bridge going south on pch

i'm getting close to done on this one. 22 x 30 senns. Probably the last of my road trip series. I'm pretty happy with its turning out. I used a ref pic that I took on a turnout. But I found myself not really using the pic much after I had composition of where the cliffs and hills were layed out.
C&C appreciated. Thanks.

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-07-2012, 01:35 AM
Saskachewan

Hails from Canada
Re: Bixby creek bridge going south on pch

Very good, I like it. What a wonderful scene.

Rick
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-07-2012, 09:03 AM
WC! Guide
Texas

Hails from United States

Hi Rich, this is a beautiful painting! You really captured the distance w/the hills and your choice of colors for them (from foreground to background) set them off perfectly. Nice grasses in the foreground. I'm partial to oceans, and you managed to showcase this view beautifully - you handled the wave patterns and distance just right.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-07-2012, 09:23 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Rich, I have almost exactly the same reference photo I took on a trip down the California coast in the 60s while stationed at Beale AFB, north of Sacramento.

Love your piece Rich, it's so bright and cheery.

What surface are you painting on?
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-07-2012, 09:46 AM
the coast in MA

Hails from United States

Beautiful painting, Rich. I especially like the forground colors as they really set off the rest of the painting.

Pat
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-07-2012, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Portland

Hails from United States

Rick, Pat, and Mary,...thank you. Started on all white and then colored in my background colors first not paying attention to any details. orange, pinks in the foreground. lavenders, blues in the middle and lighter blues, greys, purps-whites for the distant areas. Used a 4 inch brush and to take the sky blues and wash over the distant hills. Worked quite well. Senns are soft enough

Hal - thanks.I saw the same viewpoint on many postcards in gift shops. I had to walk off the "path" to get this vantage point with my camera. Below me-->200ft straight down cliff to the crashing waves.

I'm painting on my new favorite surface -> bee paper stipple paper. It's durable, thick paper. Almost like a light weight cardboard. and the tooth reminds me of a sanded or smoothed out ampersand board. I love ampersand board, but it eats too much op and hurts my fingers from rubbing.

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-07-2012, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member
Portland

Hails from United States

Here is my ref pic. I took this pic myself. As you can see I vary greatly from the pic as I like to exaggerate the colors. I used the pic mostly for composition and general idea of where to place cliffs, hills, etc. Once I have that to my liking...it's pretty much going with the flow and using my imagination and memory to capture the bright, colorful scene as I recall it.

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-07-2012, 06:53 PM
Lord of the Arts
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States

Rich, this is an awesome piece. I love the ocean and plants/flowers on the path/edge. Are you going to have a show displaying all your road pieces?

regards,
Cory

http://corygrahamart.com
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2012, 05:42 AM
Veteran Member

This is a beautiful piece, and I love the sunny appearence of the scene as well as your use of the complementary colors.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2012, 09:42 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by raizes

I'm painting on my new favorite surface -> bee paper stipple paper. It's durable, thick paper. Almost like a light weight cardboard. and the tooth reminds me of a sanded or smoothed out ampersand board. I love ampersand board, but it eats too much op and hurts my fingers from rubbing.

Richard, I'll have to give that paper a try.

If Ampersand board hurts your fingers, you certainly wouldn't be able to handle my clear gessoed masonite (hardboard). It has a very sharp tooth. In fact I don't even try my fingers on it but use papers stumps for blending. In the final layers when the tooth has been filled, then I'll use my fingers at this stage.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2012, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member
Portland

Hails from United States

Cory - My idea is to present the series as a collection, including the option to make reproductions of various sizes. I'm starting to think about my art as a product and approaching the market with that mind-frame. I'm already working with a business owner who runs a "shabby chic" furniture shop. When these paintings are displayed together, they make a nice display and really decorate a shop, cafe, coffee house beautifully. If I'm to be successful on sustaining a living off selling my art, I need to approach it like I'm running a business. I got myself a large format printer and so I can make my own prints up to 13" x 19" and the color match and quality is pretty good. Not everyone can afford an original painting and I'm not willing to come down on what I want for the original. Economy is tough so I'm diversifying options on what I can offer the customer. Years past I was dead set on never doing prints and only selling originals, but that model will only make me into a "starving artist". I want to do more than that and why not make a living doing what I love? -->painting.

Thank you Tali for the comments.

Hal - It's a great surface to paint on. I think it only comes in white though. I like to get my fingers involved from the get-go and really get immersed into my work. Using linseed oil or natural turp, I like to use my hands and make my own colored backgrounds. Gets messy, but I love it.

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2012, 07:10 PM
Enthusiast
Narbonne, France

Hails from France

Wow!! beautiful painting, nicely done! Love your interpretation and the colors on the foreground.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2012, 08:09 PM
Enthusiast
Central Florida

Hails from United States

Rich, you're not afraid of color and you use it well. Beautiful landscape/seascape.

Oil Pastel Society Member www.oilpastelsociety.com
My Blog www.artbysamh.blogspot.com
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2012, 02:58 PM
MD

Hails from United States

It is the small details that make this stand out - the light on the bridge, the flowers on the path, the rocks on the shore, the foliage on the cliff...etc.

This is lovely...

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-13-2012, 10:25 AM
Enthusiast

Nice work Rich! Looks like a beautiful spot.