WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2012, 04:54 PM
Hillsboro, Ohio

Hails from United States
Discussion: Does anyone use watercolors outside?

I have tried pastels and charcoal outside with fairly good results, but my primary medium is watercolor. I have watched artists paint with oils and acrylics outside with marvelous results. With my watercolors, I don't know where to start. I usually paint on a slightly tilted surface. Using an easel outside and painting watercolors terrifies me! For those of you who have done it...how did you start? Can you post some tips please?

Thanks for this website and all of the knowledge posted on it. I have learned lots!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2012, 06:56 PM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Discussion: Does anyone use watercolors outside?

Plein air painting with watercolours is fun! A minimum of equipment is needed and stowage of completed paintings is simple as they are already dry.

For sketching I use a small Cotman Pocket Plus palette and waterbrush and I usually paint on a sketchbook on my knee. My sketching gear fits in a pouch designed for travel accessories.

For larger works I use a watercolour pad, folding palette, travel brush and water container. All my gear fits in a back pack/seat.

Doug
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2012, 07:21 PM
Hillsboro, Ohio

Hails from United States

Doug, thanks for posting your experiences! Maybe I'm not a good enough artist to do plein aire...and maybe I'm spoiled with comfy chairs and a tilted place to paint ...with no bugs in my hair etc, etc. I'm going to try it. I have made up a limited palette for outdoors and will trim down my usual number of brushes.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2012, 08:05 PM
Lord of the Arts
I live in Bayside on the coast of Maine, USA

Hails from United States

Joseph Zbukvic's book, 'Mastering Atmosphere & Mood In Watercolor', is very good on technique and explaining how to paint outside. He uses a tilted setup. 'Trouble is--he is so good it is intimidating.

Oops--I was going to recommend you get this book but apparently it has turned into a collectors item! I paid $27.99. Amazon is selling them new, starting at $500, and new from $197.95! Wow!http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Atmo.../dp/1929834179

This seems to happen to all of the top art books! If the demand is high enough to drive the prices through the roof, why don't they keep them in print?

Any C&C I may make is based on the theory that even the act of disagreeing with one of my lousy suggestions may still spark an inspired idea.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2012, 08:44 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Sedona, AZ & Campobello Island, Canada

I actually use my oil Guerrilla Painter box (9x12) and work in the lid with it tilted up. Mostly, I don't use very liquid washes but more of a controlled wash and dry brush technique; this seems to work well in the arid southwest where washes tend to dry almost instantly!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2012, 12:36 AM
Enthusiast
Kansas

Hails from United States

>>>I paint outdoors with watercolors often and there are several great instructors you might look into such as Mel Stabin, Alvero Castagnet and Joseph Zbukvic, (and there are others just as good if you look a bit).
>>>I use the Open Box M easels. I have the older version of their watercolor easel but generally prefer to take out the newer large oils easel and do watercolors with that.
When traveling abroad I use one of my Sun Eden Tilting Adaptors as a easel.
>>>I use Bogen tripods with large ball heads and the quick-release fitting.
>>>I take out smaller palettes that come with a cover. I use tubed watercolors.
>>>I carry several plastic bottles of water instead of one. If I kick my water over I don't need to go home, just go to the car for another.
>>>I tape 11x15 sheets of 140# paper to a sheet of plexiglass. I have several plexis along and so can leave the paper in the back window of my car to dry before removing it from the plexi. I also have one, large, thicker plexi for 15x22 sheets.
>>>Have a box of tissues and an old towel along.
>>>Many tell you to paint with the paper at a 22 degree angle but I like to set it amost vertically to facilitate running a bead down the paper.
My advice... just go do it. The first time paint in your back yard to ensure you know what you need along.
Have fun, Dave
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2012, 09:07 AM
Hambledon, Hampshire. UK

I paint out doors every week. Here is one of cardoman pickers, in Keral I did in India in February
and another of a street scene in Kochin

and here is a phot of me painting that scene. you can just make out a shelf I made, which sits on the canvas supports of the easel and is secured with a wingnut. It proved invaluable.

best wishes

Robin
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2012, 11:48 AM
Maryland

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazartist
. . . . Using an easel outside and painting watercolors terrifies me! For those of you who have done it...how did you start? Can you post some tips please?
It terrifies you?! Wow! Pretty strong stuff there! My suggestion is to take a long and calm look at this whole set up.

If you don't want to wrestle around with an easel right off the bat, just take a small wc block. a travel pan set of paints, a wide-mouth jar for rinse water (or a collapsible water bucket), and a sandwich out to your local park and set up on a picnic table.

Relax! Enjoy! (This is supposed to be fun!) After a while I am confident your terror will go away, because it's so much more fun to paint from life out in the world.

Jan
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2012, 12:03 PM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Find a corner and get comfortable and enjoy the moment:

Doug
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2012, 02:09 PM
Hillsboro, Ohio

Hails from United States

Thank you all! You pros make everything look so simple. But, I am going to try it....as soon as it stops raining here.

Thanks again!
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2012, 02:15 AM
A Local Legend
EUROPE

Hails from Austria

Yea about 70 - 80 per year

A tip : If you start on location - take photos beside
if the weather /light / sun is changing it helps you to finish it at home

http://www.miklavcic.co.at/aquarelle...cape/index.htm
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2012, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member
Buckinghamshire

Paulette

You find it terrifying?!!! Just look at your local gallery - How many artists can actually do it? I have visited some major watercolour exhibitions in this country and I see about 95% studio paintings, 5 % plein air. Why? Because its too difficult.

The only tip I can give you is practice, practice and practice. I started using watercolour paint outdoors nearly 30 years ago, and I still cant crack it. Nevertheless I cant give it up, its a pain I love to experience

For me, watching a great outdoor watercolour painter on a DVD has nothing to do with learning, its purely entertainment. I dont think you can be taught, you just have to do it. Over and over and over again! No tips. Just paint

Chris

Last edited by Chris Robinson : 05-24-2012 at 06:24 PM.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2012, 06:23 PM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

I paint plein air because it is fun!

The results don't matter so much, it is so good to paint what is in front of you and enjoy the fresh air and the countryside.

Doug
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2012, 01:29 PM
Maryland

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorky
I paint plein air because it is fun!

The results don't matter so much, it is so good to paint what is in front of you and enjoy the fresh air and the countryside.

Doug
I love you and thank you, Doug. This is my answer too.

Jan
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2012, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Sweden

A few days ago I sat and painted on a bench at a bus stop. I had a block in my hand in front of me and a small watercolour box and a couple of water cups beside me on the bench.

This is what I used.

I also have a larger set up.

And a realy small one for my purse.