WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Color Theory and Mixing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2012, 01:55 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia
Re: Understanding color-temperature relationships

Until you try to paint green leaves in a gray vase, Dave. There are no color temperature relationship! Only hue green and hue gray

It will be a very fun painting Sid!
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2012, 05:19 PM
A Local Legend
Pembrokeshire. West Wales UK

Hails from Wales

If you stick some green leaves in a gray vase and stand it in the light, depending on the light source you will observe colour temperature harmonies between the light and the shadows. So the colour temperature relationships are in the subject before you start painting, don’t make life unnecessarily complex, chose the easy path of understanding and seeing temperature relationships.

Dave
“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
— Allen Ginsberg
Are you ready for a Journey?
PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits please.
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2012, 08:07 AM
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia

Than, Dave, you need at least 2 light source. One diffused light for shadows with high color temperature (sky light) and the second (direct sun light) with lower color temperature. That is an ordinary situation for landscape painting.

I understand now what people wanted to say to me (us) using "color temperature relationship" term. You mean something like 3D modeling "ray tracing scene rendering" term, a complex of whole scene lights and reflections which gives realistic form to all available objects.
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2012, 07:02 PM
A Local Legend
Pembrokeshire. West Wales UK

Hails from Wales

You seem to be determined to make life difficult for yourself Alex , you will be suggesting next that I take into consideration Wave Particle Duality. Dave
“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
— Allen Ginsberg
Are you ready for a Journey?
PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits please.
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2012, 09:24 PM
WC! Guide
Maryland, USA

Hails from United States

Quote:
I understand now what people wanted to say to me (us) using "color temperature relationship" term. You mean something like 3D modeling "ray tracing scene rendering" term, a complex of whole scene lights and reflections which gives realistic form to all available objects.
at this point i must quote gary coleman and say "whatchu talkin bout willis?"
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2012, 05:35 AM
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia

Wave Particle Duality? If our eyes can see it, we can use it in painting. Another question is "why?", "were?" and "how?"

Remember: science has always been a tool for painting!

Last edited by Gigalot : 05-11-2012 at 05:40 AM.
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2012, 06:39 AM
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia

I just talking about HUE VALUE CHROMA. And you know more?

Last edited by Gigalot : 05-11-2012 at 06:46 AM.
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2012, 10:02 AM
Lord of the Arts
Potsdam, NY

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Most of the time you are not going to mix a colour to match what you see in nature, especially with wild flowers this time of year in the rain. But if you use colour temperature relationships and desaturation you can make the colour you can mix look much brighter. The colours don’t matter its what you surround them with that matters and how the whole thing relates temperature wise.

Dave

I can definitely agree with this. Many very effective paintings are painted with the "wrong" colours if the objective is to match the natural local colour. But the end result looks "right" because the relations between the colours are right.

The answer to the question "which is warmer a red-orange or a yellow-orange?" depends in part on whether red or yellow is "warmer". If red is defined as being warmer, then the more a colour leans towards red the warmer it must be. If I define green as " warm" the colours will be more or less "warm" relative to whether they lean towards or away from green.

It is a relative quality. There is some Platonic ideal "warm" colour, all colours are warm to the degree that they share in the qualities of this ideal "warm". All colours are cool to the degree in which they differ from the qualities of the ideal "warm". "Warmness" it self is an abstract construct. I do not believ you can show me the colour "warm". Hue, Value, Chroma. These do not include temperature.

I suppose a "scientific" arrangement of colour "temperature" could be made based on wavelength in the spectrum. The closer to infrared the warmer a colour, the closer to ultraviolet the cooler a colour. However I don't think temperature is customarily measured or described by wavelength of the electro-magnetic spectrum, at least not by most people.

This is our ART: useless, boring, impotent, elitist, and very, very beautiful.
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2012, 10:47 AM
WC! Guide
Maryland, USA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigalot
I just talking about HUE VALUE CHROMA. And you know more?
ok, if you aren't talking temperature then that explains it, but here is the thread title again: "Understanding color-temperature relationships"

Last edited by sidbledsoe : 05-11-2012 at 11:02 AM.
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2012, 06:07 PM
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsa
"Warmness" it self is an abstract construct. .
And then ,unfortunately, other people can`t understand what it really meant.

I guess, you are right.
Everyone will understand it in their own understanding Also if your understanding is better than others understanding, you can reach a better result, which is more important than understanding.
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2012, 09:06 PM
Lord of the Arts
Potsdam, NY

Hails from United States

Yes, I think it is the results that matter in the end.

I have no problem with assuming that colour temperature is a valid concept and an appropriate model for colour behavior when I click on a thread titled "understanding colour temperature relationships". I sort of expect the discussion to be about colour temperature.

This is our ART: useless, boring, impotent, elitist, and very, very beautiful.
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2012, 11:00 PM

Excuse if this link has already been posted. Includes some history.

http://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/color12.html
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2012, 05:29 AM
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia

Since the term was coined in the 18th century, this means that most of the great artists of the past worked fine without "color temperature" concept.
Also, Preraphaelites (I love their color harmony!) criticized this term.

I do not mind the term. It simply limits me to choosing my colors. Do not look at me! Use this term if you love and find it is useful.
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2012, 08:10 AM
WC! Guide
Maryland, USA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigalot
Since the term was coined in the 18th century, this means that most of the great artists of the past worked fine without "color temperature" concept.
Also, Preraphaelites (I love their color harmony!) criticized this term.

I do not mind the term. It simply limits me to choosing my colors. Do not look at me! Use this term if you love and find it is useful.
The term may have become more fashionable centuries ago but the concept has existed in humans for their entire existence here on earth. Lioncloth designers and interior decorators back in the caves were thinking it
Temperature doesn't limit any color choice. From a vast amount of experience in thinking in terms of color temperature I can verify this.
quote from einion:
Quote:
The only thing in vision is colour, which encompasses all three dimensions. There isn't a fourth

Therefore color temperature is a term that is similar in nature to the one you used above, ie. color harmony. There is no color harmony in hue, value, and chroma. there is no other dimension of color than those three, ergo any "color harmony" must be differences in hue, value, and chroma only.

Last edited by sidbledsoe : 05-12-2012 at 08:16 AM.
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2012, 09:43 PM
WC! Guide
Maryland, USA

Hails from United States

btw, is there a better way to think of color harmony? if so , explain pls, thnx!