WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 09:03 AM
WC! Guide
Maryland, USA

Hails from United States
Re: Color theory - can anyone explain?

Quote:
But it seems to me that mixing complements can also be visual complements
I think you are thinking that visual complements would be any pair that are visually pleasing to look at such as this flower, and thus mixing complements could also be visually pleasing and that is very true. But for understanding what and why they are separately what they are, I think it would be good to get a handle on theory regarding color in light, which is optical and exhibits additive mixing vs pigment color which is physical and exhibits subtractive mixing. Here is a good page that explains the two.
This monitor is using additive mixing, if the red, green, and blue lights are mixed then they add up to making white, which is made of all colors. you will see that when you mix red and green light together, the result is yellow light. Now if you mix yellow light with blue light (yellow and blue being visual complements) you will get white. (think visual complements here)

The paint on your palette is using subtractive mixing, if cyan, magenta, and yellow are mixed then they diminish or subtract from each other to make a dark black/gray, which is made of no color. (think mixing complements here)

So for purposes of theorist, complements for mixing are one thing, complements that you look at visually are another. For us art lovers, any combo that looks good to us is "complementary".
It is really a lot to explain and so I think it would be good to visit our color theory forum with Einion and other experts there who can lead you on better than I can. Actually this thread should probably be in that forum where I think you would get a lot more response. For instance, here is a thread in theory about visual complements.
This is not to say that to paint good paintings one must learn and apply color theory, in fact, I believe to paint well that it is very acceptable to ignore color theory altogether and paint with your heart and your own feelings.
For instance, take the concept of warm and cool colors as it has been mentioned earlier by myself and the other posters. Well in color theory, there is nothing but disagreement and confusion about just what it is, just check it out sometime, but within the artists' own perception, there is no confusion and artists have and will always think in terms of warm and cool feelings when painting.

Last edited by sidbledsoe : 05-08-2012 at 09:33 AM.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 10:50 AM
Ontario

Hails from Canada

This is such an interesting thread. I've been wanting to improve on colour harmony within my paintings, as well as colour mixing. Thanks for those articles sidbledsoe.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 10:58 AM
WC! Guide
Maryland, USA

Hails from United States

hey man, you are welcome my friend, it is fun stuff!
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 03:00 PM
san diego

Hails from United States

Study Anders Zorn,.... that is about as simple color theory you will get. Which in the end really doesnt matter if you make value your priority. Just something to think about.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 03:21 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Virginia, US

Hails from Norway

Thanks for the links, the thread got a little confusing - but the articles were very interesting and have been printed out. Thank you again! I'll start hanging out a little in the color theory forum, as well. This is such a vast site!
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2012, 08:16 PM
Lord of the Arts
Tasmania Australia

Hails from Australia

For anyone serious about learning about colour and light, I suggest this link:
http://www.huevaluechroma.com/index.php
I can't stress enough that I think this is a definitive treatise.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2012, 04:31 AM
Long Island NY

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Francis
For anyone serious about learning about colour and light, I suggest this link:
http://www.huevaluechroma.com/index.php
I can't stress enough that I think this is a definitive treatise.

Cool website. Thanks for posting.

#23   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2012, 01:34 AM
Veteran Member

ETA: The second article was clearer. But it seems to me that mixing complements can also be visual complements - at least according to nature

[/quote]

Nature is stupid, like it never studied art. That is why trees are always in the middle of my view when i am walking around in the woods. Humans, the masters of reality, relish in our obligations as the noblest of all creatures to rearrange everything to fit into a set of rules that fit a clearly superior notion of nature's beauty. the same people who say "no rules" will tell you all the rules the moment you break them, generally speaking. So, remember, the job of the artist is to lie their way through nature's perfection and create something contrived and flawed enough to be recognizable to man.