WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Fiber Arts
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2012, 06:24 PM
Enthusiast
Northeast Tennessee

Hails from United States
Re: Stitch in Time May 2012

Eva, that is one cute SS doll in her fur coat!!

Margo, glad you like your new place also. I have been told we havce coyotes here too. Haven't seen any and not anxious to. Will take just the deer and wild turkeys (only saw the turkeys once). Desk project sounds interesting.

I started a washcloth last nigth to go with the burp pad and 2 bibs. Need to finish that. Oh! Talked to my sis last night and asked her if mile-a-minute ever gave her a problem, told her what I did with the baby blanket. She said she has had that problem nearly every time she makes that pattern (and she used to make some lovely mm afghans!). She said it is so hard to get the strips the same length and she fakes it almost every time. At least now I don't feel so stupid.

It's cool and rainy here today. 64* and will be 45* tonight. I like that. We don't want heat too soon.

I am made in God's image so I create.
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2012, 08:32 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Margo, what a fab idea on the desk. I'm not sure what glue will work on all the materials. Do let us see what it looks like. As to the pencils, I bought some Faber-Castell pencils is different hardness. And, I ended up getting distracted and haven't used them yet. Was sketching in pen today.

Eva, glad you got your package of fiber stuff. Sounds like quite a haul. That coat is so cute on the shortcake doll.

Bonnie, so glad you like where you live. It makes life more fun that way. How's the washcloth coming?

Took the 100 mile trip to WinCo today. I'm so tired. DH loves going and I'm not sure why. We stock up on as much as we can. (Think CostCo type run) Once we get home we need to break down the large packages into smaller units for the freezer and pantry.

Before we went I called Home Depot to check on our shower base for the bathroom. Had a message when we got home that it will be there on Friday. DH works Friday and Saturday this week. We'll most likely be making a trip up there on Monday to get everything.

Also before we went I called to make reservations for lunch for Mother's Day with mom. Usually, my siblings take care of her because she hasn't come up here yet. I almost missed.

You all have been with me the last several years as I moaned about my knees, my shoulder, my back, my ankles and my edema. I want you to know I appreciate you being there for me. And I want to tell you that for the last 3 days, I've been without pain and very little swelling. It's been absolutely amazing. I know as I'm feeling better and able to work on reducing my excess weight I will revisit the pain and swelling as the toxins enter my system again. But, today, today is fabulous!
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2012, 09:19 PM
Enthusiast
where my whimsy takes me

Hails from United States

Strawberry is simply adorable! My daughter would have gone head over heels over her, her fav doll for a time. That fur coat just rocks!

We went to town today, the man was in the mood, offered to take me to a breakfast place I like. Then we hit the thrift stores, found a camp shirt by one of my favorite designers Reyn Spooner, and a book then to the next I found a couple of hand made shelves to hold Santos. The the next these 2 wonderful hand made and carved chairs for a song! The Walyworld for some more mod podge and a few grocery items. You can't get DMC floss at my walmart anymore, only bags of 36 skeins of Jpcoats floss that has 3 of each color, like I want to choose my own colors thank you very much. I guess I'll have to go to Joanns or Hobby Lobby next trip to Santa Fe. Oh well it was a lovely day and I'm so pleased with my purchases.
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2012, 11:20 PM
Enthusiast
Northeast Tennessee

Hails from United States

Debby, absolutely fantastical news!!! So glad you are having a good day. I hope many more are in store for you. I know losing wt helps with my back and feet pain tremendously. I'm hoping for a lot more relief as I lose the last 25 or so lbs.

Margo, glad you found some good thrift store buys. I love those stores, just wish I could find some good ones here.

Here is the set (kind of a set) of baby things I'm going to give the church friends. The first bib and shoulder burp pad thingy sort of go together. The edging on the burp pad is the same colors as the bib. Then the solid yellowy color bib and washcloth match. The washcloth doesn't show up well. So there you have it. I'll get back to the shrug now maybe. I ordered Crochet! Today magazine tonight, now I have that and Crochet World magazines both coming in the mail. How fun! Part of my M-day gift.

#50   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2012, 11:30 PM
Enthusiast
where my whimsy takes me

Hails from United States

Crosspost Debby, so glad to hear you've been pain free! Let me know how you like those pencils. I'm planning on taking a workshop with Tony Ryder next month and I need to have 3 sets of soft pencils. I'd call and ask what type they recommend but he's with a group in Amsterdam right now! I love every other thing I have from Faber Castell so it would make sense their graphite pencils would be good. I was putting together a Jerry's order to take advantage of a 25% off but the only drawing pencils they have from Faber are student grade.

Bonnie that is a very nice little layette set. I'm so glad you feel vindicated about that pattern business. Forget about that silly pattern and go on to something fun now. One wonders why your sister continues to bother with it?

I'm tired after our day of shopping so the desk won't get worked on tonight. Hopefully the man can be happy at home tomorrow and I can work on it then, I'm itching to go, just no energy and it is late. Glue and a sleepy girl doesn't sound like a good combo! Sweet dreams girlfriends.
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2012, 01:30 AM
San Francisco

Hails from United States

So good to hear, Debby! Pain free days!

such a fur, Eva!

Margo, the decoupage idea sounds fantastic.

Bonnie , you are on a roll.

Ok, you all, I have officially started a "bouquet" for the May challenge.....

Jen
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2012, 02:56 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Fort Mohave, Arizona

Hails from United States

Debbie, so glad you have been pain free for a few days. Fingers crossed that it will continue. I have been pretty good the last couple of days too but not as good as you. Yea!!! for you.

Thanks for the comments on the fur jacket. I finished up another one this morning and put it on a different doll. Also I have been a good girl and all the coats and jackets have been put on my website.

Yesterday I got one small doll and an Anne Geddes bear/doll and so this morning I got the bear/doll cleaned up and brushed and then made a pair of bloomers for the doll and put shoes on her and cleaned up the dress and ironed it. Fixed her hair and put a ribbon in it so now need to get pictures of them and on the website. Also got the kitchen picked up this morning so I have been busy and didn't even realize that it is almost noon.

Got flowers from our oldest son and DIL. A really pretty bouquet.

Bonnie, the lady should be pleased with all the nice things that you crocheted for her and they will all be useful.

Off to get some lunch....
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2012, 09:44 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Margo, buying floss in sets is like buying colored pencils or watercolors in sets. It's only helpful when you are first starting out to get some basic colors to work with. After that, it's so much nicer to pick your own colors.

Bonnie, great set of things for mom and baby. I'm sure I'll feel better as I can now move and work on reducing my weight. But, to have dietary changes in place that take away that swelling and pain is wonderful for me to get started.

Jen, sounds like the challenge inspired you. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Eva, you always have such good luck with the thrift store finds. I hear you about the morning slipping away doing chores. I just finished and don't thing I'll have much time to do anything else as DH is over due coming home from work.

Ah, there he is. So, mom's not thrilled about a 12:30 lunch, she'd much rather have it at 11:30, right after church. But, she didn't tell me when her church was out.

As I said, I spent the day doing chores. Since we took that long shopping trip yesterday, I didn't get things cooked, baked, or cleaned. Got groceries tho'. There was more putting away to do today with the bulk bin items that are in plastic bags. I like to put them in mason jars. Keeps them better and are vermin proof.
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2012, 04:02 PM
Fort Mohave, Arizona

Hails from United States

First I have to show you all the flowers I got for Mother's Day. The oldest DS and DIL sent me a bouquet of mixed flowers yesterday and today my DD and SIL sent a basket full of violet plants. Love them both.

Then last night I finished up the doll sweater that I crocheted while watching tv. Still have the hat to finish up. The instructions were only about half there plus I finished it up a little different than what they said. Sometimes internet free patterns are not all they should be.

Debby hope you got all your stuff put away yesterday. I use to buy in bulk too but we just don't eat enough to do that any more.

John had his follow up doctor appointment on his cancer surgery that he had in February. Everything looks good and they zapped off a few of other spots. Some on his face and a couple on his arms.

My internet keeps going up and down so that this will go through.
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2012, 06:56 PM
Enthusiast
Northeast Tennessee

Hails from United States

Eva, you got some lovely flowers from your children! How nice! And the doll sweater is great. Can you share where you got the pattern? I love the free patterns online and use many of them. But I do change some of them, too. I do that with patterns I buy, too, though.

We have been doing yard work today. Tom mowed and used the weed eater and got his pepper plants planted into the topsy turvy planter finally, I dead headed some flowers, added dirt to some planters, pulled some weeds, etc. Then we cleaned up and went to a Japanese fast food place that we hadn't tried yet. It was pretty decent. I got sushi (cooked crab meat) and an egg roll. Yum.

Going to work on a spa washcloth I came across online last night. Crochet pattern. It has a nubby texture. Just thought it would be fun to make and it's about half done.

Hi Debby and Margo!

#56   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2012, 09:29 PM
Fort Mohave, Arizona

Hails from United States

Bonnie, here is what it says across the bottom of my printout.
http://straw.com/cpy/patterns/baby-c...t-dollset.html
Comes from Crystal Palace Yarns and called a Mini-Mochi Crochet 18' Dll Sweater, Hat, free doll pattern There is a release on it that says, free to use for your customers so I can sell them. I have to finish the hat tonight and then try some different yarn and see what happens to the next one.

I ended up making a doll outfit this afternoon but I have to put something on her bald head and iron everything before I can show it. Tired now so off to watch some tv.
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2012, 09:37 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Eva, how thoughtful of your children to send you flowers. The little sweater is very cute. Yes, everything is put away. Most of the stuff we buy in bulk is in the freezer in smaller packages. After all, it's just the 2 of us and even tho' DH eats a lot (high metabolism ) we still only need a couple of small steaks or a large chicken breast or 1/2 a pound of hamburger for dinner. The rest of the stuff I was putting away was dried fruit, nuts and seeds. Those will keep for quite some time. DH likes them for snacking. I've been using them in my home made granola bars.

Wow, Bonnie, you've been busy outside. I'd be hurting something awful if I attempted that much all at once. Someday soon, I hope to be able to work like that again.

Edit: Sorry, Margo, forgot to answer your question about the Faber pencils. I got 4H through 6B, every other one. They are much smoother than the Derwents. I've become a real fan of the Faber products. I love their Polychromos and the Albrecht Durer Watercolor pencils.

Since I got the chores done yesterday, I was able to get back on the pants today. It's still not right. I used a pair of shorts I have that fits pretty good as the model. I neglected to account for the fact that they are made in a stretchy material. I sewed up cotton muslin this time. *sigh* I will be tearing apart again tomorrow. The waist and hip and leg room are all correct. I made the crotch too short. I think I can re-cut the crotch deeper and I may have it.

Last edited by DrDebby : 05-11-2012 at 10:25 PM.
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2012, 11:42 PM
Enthusiast
where my whimsy takes me

Hails from United States

Eva what pretty flowers, thoughtful children. Sweet little doll sweater.

Debby I'm sure I'd like the Faber pencils, I love both of their colored pencils and pastel & pastel pencils so of course the graphite should be good. I always forget to see if Blick has them I checked with my last Jerry's order but they seem to have everything but. I did order a couple of other lines of graphite to try out. I do like some of my Derwents and some I don't. I absolutely hated those stupid Graphitints everyone raves about, the set I had was very hard and scratchy, they went away, and I tossed the inktense in the trash after I saw how bad they faded in a closed sketchbook of Cathy Johnsons.

So Santa Fe day today. We went to the flea market but managed to make it through one booth before it tried to start raining. Fortunately it was a cool booth selling African handicrafts, my favorite kind of baskets which I seemed to give away all but one, a lovely Ethiopian cross with triptych painted foldouts. And he has mudcloth, that is for the next trip. We got to chatting with the man and he always has a booth at the African Village at the Tuscon Gem and Mineral show, so I think I've bought from him before. He gave me a nice discount and told me he always has the mudcloth. So lovely. Then to a thrift store I like and found a nice cotton cardigan for the cool summer nights and a lovely lightweight wool cardigan from one of my favorite wool sweater sources. Cheap cheap, it's summer almost after all. Then on to Joann's to get the embroidery floss I wanted and in the colors rather that the set. I could have lived with the sets even if they hadn't had 3 or everything. Some things you want more of than others. Had a Joann's coupon so that was good, and picked up some pillow forms too, badly needed on my couch, the man payed for those and even though they were 40% off already the lady let him use the $5 off coupon. I was pleased. Artisan for more paper for bookbinding, luscious pricey hand made Canal paper from Canada. Love that stuff, my prize to self for not only finishing my IFJM journal but for sticking with a book of paper that I hated and learning how to work with it and come up with some fun images. Oh and a Venezia journal, Roz seems determined I try the PPBP on it, well everyone actually. I just didn't have one in my stash so used what I had. Oh and we tried a new to us restaurant, fabulous place, serves Mexican and New Mexican, yummy salsa, I miss the salsa in Texas, and run by a family of Russians. How multi cultural can you get.

So time to get back to tidying my house, my daughter is driving in from Vegas tomorrow and my rearranging isn't quite done, even the dog is afraid to walk part of the obstacle course!
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2012, 06:30 PM
Fort Mohave, Arizona

Hails from United States

Today I have been a busy bee. Stripped both beds, turned mattresses, washed and dried all the bedding and remade beds. The quilts were hung outside and dried in less than an hour with our very warm weather. Then got the whole house vacuumed. It still wasn't even lunch time, so played a little on the computer and then went to McDonalds for a couple of hamburgers. They are only 2 miles down the road. Came home and ate then started on the doll hat I started last night in cotton. I finished the first hat that matches the sweater last night too. So finished the second hat and now am back making a sweater in a regular red yarn. The hats are turning out cute so I think I may be putting these on some of my bald babies. Gives something different than what I have been doing.

Didn't feel like sewing today but can't just do nothing so crocheting it is. It does bother my hands but about an hour and then I come and play on the computer for a bit and then back to crocheting again.

How is everyone else doing on this weekend?
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2012, 07:12 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Margo, glad you were able to complete your IFJM journal. I did get the Faber pencils at Dick Blick. That's where I ordered my paper for book making. I decided for journals to be written in and to possibly sell, that the Blick brand of drawing paper, 80 pounds would be nice without being over the top price wise. Unfortunately, I am being disciplined and only sketching now and again, making myself finish the wardrobe project because that has a deadline. So the paper is just sitting there.

Wow, Eva, no kidding you were busy. Don't ruin your hands on the crochet.

I, once more, was playing with the seam ripper. I cut a deeper crotch in the pants and sewed them back together. Of course, I am carefully noting each change to the pattern so that once this works I can then make pants that fit. I'm almost there. Standing the crotch length is fine, the waist got too big with all the manipulation of the pattern, but I can either ease the excess onto a waistband, or take slightly wider darts to fix that. The issue comes, again, when I bend over or sit down. I split the back center seam. It's back to the cutting board. I'm trying to decide if the extra around the hips should be in the side seams, the center back seam, all the seams... Which makes the waist even bigger than it is now. I have a small waist in relation to my hips. Always have, even when I was thin eons ago. Think 1940's pinup, big bust, wide hips, little waist. I was so born years too late for that. When I was a teen and young 20s the in look was the androgynous looking body with no bust. Now, we have the androgynous looking body with enhanced bust. Which isn't much better. Anyway, even as I've gained weight through the years, I've maintained that same general pattern.

So, I'm the point person for Mother's Day tomorrow. I'm taking mom out to lunch. But, on Friday, my sister calls and want's mom's address. She's ordering flowers delivered. Later in the day, she calls again. The online florist cannot find a local florist in their system in this area. (That's because I live in Nowheresville, Idunno.) She asks, isn't there a florist there? Yes. I give her the name and phone number. She calls back, they won't deliver out where mom lives. Can she have the flowers delivered to me and I take them out to mom tomorrow? *sigh* Yes. So this morning I have flowers arrive. I call my sister to let her know I've got them and I'll get them to mom tomorrow. She's upset because there are no roses in the bouquet. Apparently, when she called they had 3 yellow roses left. She asked them to include them. Evidently, something went wrong. It's a nice bouquet, but yeah, sis is upset.

Then, today, I get a call from mom's boyfriend in CA. He knows I'm taking mom out to lunch. He wants me to order wine with the meal for mom as his treat. He'll pay me back. First of all, what a cheapskate. Second of all, this is a bakery/lunch place. I don't think they have a liquor license to serve wine.

At this point, I'm half expecting a call from my brother asking me to do something for mom on his behalf.