WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Photography > Photo Equipment and Software
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2012, 07:05 PM

Hails from United States
New Camera Suggestion - Macro/Zoom

Hello,

So, I'm thinking about taking the serious digital leap and I wanted some suggestions on cameras I should be using. I currently use a completely manual film SLR with a 200mm lens and I have an Olympus digital 4mpxl camera with a 3x zoom whose back screen no longer works and though it has served me well it is no longer reliable. Although I have grand dreams of DSLR cameras with maybe a 300mm lens and whatnot even the not-so-up-to-date DSLR's are way over my budget, so I was thinking of getting something like a Kodak Easyshare z5010 or similar (it doesn't HAVE to be that brand or model, but something LIKE that I guess) to use and do good things with until I save up enough for the dream DSLR (I'm a single mom so maybe in like 10 years LOL).

My three main desires for this substitute camera are, other than regular everyday photography:

1) Macro -- I want to know what you guys think is the best camera like that for macro photography. This isn't going to be my only camera now and forever, eventually I'll get a better camera with specific lenses, but for the time being (like next few years) I want to take decent macro pics of, say, flowers, bugs, and so on.

2) Zoom -- I currently use a 200mm lense on my film camera. I'm not sure how something like above would compare to that with the 26x zoom and whatnot. For some reason numbers don't click well with me and I can't picture what that would look like in an SLR lense.

3) Speed with Zoom -- I looooove going nature watching, specifically whale/dolphin watching, and air shows with my son. They are where I challenge myself in photography (as well as sports games and whatnot) and I have gotten really good at going to these events and having maybe 1 or two blurry/mistake photo in an entire roll of film. I am wondering, since I'm used to a 200mm lense with my SLR if something like the Kodak Easyshare thingy is even worth my time in regards to this.

For me, having a camera that can do all three of the above on my limited budget would be gravy but I would settle for awesome regular point and shoot with awesome-kick-butt macro and reserve my SLR for the whale watching and air shows. We only do one of each a year anyway, but still, it's the challenge I love more than anything

Anyway, sorry this is so long. I don't have any other photography minded people to talk to that can understand me budgeting out money for a new/better/more reliable camera when I have two already....I just want to do more....you know?

Thank you so much again for your time!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2012, 04:27 PM
Western Illinois

Hails from United States
Re: New Camera Suggestion - Macro/Zoom

I've had a couple of Kodak EasyShares and they are fantastic cameras for a beginner or even for someone who is used to digital. I really like them.
Plus the docking stations makes downloading so easy.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-17-2012, 11:32 PM

Really good write up
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2012, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Canada

I've been using an EasyShare Z981 Kodak for a couple of years now. It is a very good camera for the money and not a hard camera to figure out. I have a Canon Ftd with a fixed length 400mm. lens but the Kodak is so easy to use and manipulate with the computer. I haven't used the Canon since but have a small Canon digital that I use for work and it also works well. I like the zoom and the macro on the Kodak which has more features than I'm familiar with! I used a Sony that had a smaller zoom but still fairly large but after much use the spring loaded button that operates the shutter, fell apart and I had to buy a new camera. They all have different peculiarities but once you are used to them they are very predictable and handy, not to mention inexpensive without the film. One main feature to be aware of (the greatest one for me) is that most brands are phasing out the use of a rear eye piece view finder. This is a huge dissadvantage for zoom quality. You can't find the subject if it is small on the large rear screen especially if there is any daylight reflecting other objects on your screen. Bare that in mind if shopping over the internet. Check for a small optical display as well as the large screen viewing window.
Hope this helps.
Jon C.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2012, 10:19 PM
A Local Legend
Huntington Beach, CA

Hails from United States

I take similar kinds of photos (many macros, and a frequent need to zoom), and really love the Canon PowerShot SX40HS.

Very good macros capabilities, a 35X optical zoom, 12.1 MP. An added bonus is that the battery seems to last forever before needing recharging.

It's not a professional SLR, but it's perfect for the kinds of photos I take, and inexpensive.
snilloRs.com
camera: Canon PowerShot SX40HS - photo editing: Photoshop CS5
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-05-2012, 03:09 PM
Beautiful NW Washington

Hails from United States

Ahhh...the delima I too...for years used my Canon EOS Elan 7, 35 mm camera that I bought used on eBay and it came with a 100-300mm lens. OMG! I was in heaven! I also purchased a low end 500mm lens with a 2x converter to make it a 1000mm lens.

I was very new to a camera of this sort and being FILM I wasn't into taking zillions of shots for the heck of it as you well understand I'm sure.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE taking photo's at the rodeo and I found the 100-300mm lens to suit my needs rather well. Not too much zoom as the 500mm often was...and I found I never had a use for the 1000 mm and the lens was low end and pictures never came out as I was hoping. But I learned a lot and did get some nice photos especially for art reference, which is what I mainly take pictures for.

Years ago, my mother purchased my daughter a Kodak Easyshare C913 for her birthday. Not having a digital camera I started using it here and there and discovered I LOVED it! I took it camping and took some really neat macro shots of bees sleeping in thisle flowers and I wish my other computer didn't die, because I'd upload one to show you...they were awesome!

I found it to be perfect for everyday snap shots, landscape shots, indoor, outdoor...every picture came out perfect. And I took thousands and thousands of pictures! It was small enough to fit in my purse and I didn't want to give it back so I ended up buying my own...a few years ago, they were about $80.00.

Like you mentioned...I used the easyshare for just about everything and pulled out the Canon for certain events where I thought the zoom would be helpful.

I saved and saved and FINALLY last year, I took the plunge and purchased a Canon T3...not the t3i...just the T3, it was the lowest end DSLR on the market last year. I could use my 100-300 mm lens from the Elan 7 on it and I have been having a blast!

HOWEVER - Although this camera does have it's purpose for me...it's not my everyday go to camera...I still prefer my Kodak EasyShare for the versatility and ease of packing around. I can easily slip it in my pocket, or in my purse...I have it with me EVERYWERE I go. Horseback riding, bike riding, hiking, take it to the beach...and if something happened to it...not a huge big deal because I can still replace it for around the $80.00 - $90.00....and I'm sure the ones on the market now are even better than the one I currently use.

They use the same memory card, the easyShare takes AA batteries which is VERY NICE because you can walk into any store and get batteries, and I get probably around 700 pictures for 2 AA batteries. Depends on how much I zoom in and out or if I use the video function...unlike the T3...special battery, special charger.

When I first got it, I took the T3 hiking with me, I was so excited to have such a nice camera to use and I quickly discovered that it's bulky, heavier and my neck got sore carrying it for long periods, that combined with always having to be extra careful when climbing on a rock or something...that it doesn't swing foward and hit the rock...I was ticked the first time it happened..:/ , I can't take it horseback riding with me and take on the ride shots that my daughter and I love to look back through...

So I guess what I'm pointing out is there are definite DISADVANTAGES to DSLRs. Yes they are nice, and they have their purpose...but I DEFINITELY see the advantages to the point and shoots.

I dont know what your budget is, but for right around the $100.00 - $150.00 mark I'm sure you'll find a great camera to suit your most everyday needs and pull out the Film for when you need the better zoom. Many of todays point and shoots take as good of pictures as the DSLR's, without the cost and bulk. Even their zoom capabilities have come a LONG way.

Good Luck!

Toni
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2012, 05:01 AM

how about canon s100, nikon 1 or the new sony rx100? been eyeing on these cameras for their portability and great IQ