WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 09:05 PM
Melbourne, Australia

Hails from Australia
Suede

Hello All

Just starting a face study of a Jersey Cow on suede. (Can I capture those liquid eyes??) I've never used suede before - was tempted by it at the art supplies shop. It feels nice!! If you've used it, I'd love to hear your comments/advice/feedback.

Cheers
Trish
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2012, 05:23 AM
Enthusiast
N.S.W

Hails from Australia
Re: Suede

Sorry I can't help with your question. But I would also be interested to hear if others have used it.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2012, 05:51 AM
Immortalized

Your very brave Opera Rose

Paintings: http://www.flickr.com/photos/safari_jane/
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2012, 08:39 PM
Michigan City, IN

Hails from United States

Do you mean Art Spectrum Colourfix Suede pastel paper? If you do, you're in for a treat. I just finished a floral on it this spring and really liked the velvety texture. I was also able to use my battery-powered eraser on it- although I was cautious and used it sparingly- and it did not hurt the tooth of the paper. It takes colored pencil and watercolor pencil beautifully.
Kristy
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2012, 11:32 PM
Melbourne, Australia

Hails from Australia

Thanks Smudged and Karen for your comments - I'd had no response of any kind for a while there and it was a bit depressing!

Yes Kristy Art Spectrum - that's the one. The texture is beautiful and I too have very carefully tried my battery-powered eraser and I was amazed that it did not damage the paper and erased beautifully. I am worried about the dimples in the paper though and I can see that I will need to do quite a few layers. The Prismacolors tend to crumble on it a bit but the Derwent Coloursoft are fine. Kristy - how many layers (approx) did you do on your floral? And may I ask what pencils you use? I am about to visit your website to see your work!

Cheers
Trish
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2012, 11:34 PM
Melbourne, Australia

Hails from Australia

Oh wow - Kristy your work is so beautiful. I thought your name was familiar and having visited your website and looked at your bio I now know why. Thanks for taking the time to comment.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2012, 02:06 AM
Enthusiast
Nottinghamshire, UK

Hails from England

Sorry Trish I've never used it but I hope you are successful with it
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2012, 08:51 AM
Michigan City, IN

Hails from United States

Hi, Trish-
I haven't posted the Colourfix Suede floral yet. (The file is too large to post here!) I didn't have any dimple problem with the paper and the pencils I used were an assortment of the most lightfast violets I could find, since it is a picture of light and darker violet irises and I know that some versions of rose, purple, and violet can be fugitive and not lightfast. The ones I used most were Caran d'Ache Luminance, Derwent Artist, Derwent Signature (discontinued) and Faber-Castell Polychromos pencils, but I did some white highlights on the petals with Derwent Inktense blocks, applying the white with a small, damp brush. The paper also takes line-impression technique (done with a fine-point stylus) beautifully.
Thank you so much for your compliment on my website! That made my morning!
Best wishes,
Kristy
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2012, 11:45 AM
Enthusiast
Nottinghamshire, UK

Hails from England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Leadhead
Hi, Trish-
I haven't posted the Colourfix Suede floral yet. (The file is too large to post here!) I didn't have any dimple problem with the paper and the pencils I used were an assortment of the most lightfast violets I could find, since it is a picture of light and darker violet irises and I know that some versions of rose, purple, and violet can be fugitive and not lightfast. The ones I used most were Caran d'Ache Luminance, Derwent Artist, Derwent Signature (discontinued) and Faber-Castell Polychromos pencils, but I did some white highlights on the petals with Derwent Inktense blocks, applying the white with a small, damp brush. The paper also takes line-impression technique (done with a fine-point stylus) beautifully.
Thank you so much for your compliment on my website! That made my morning!
Best wishes,
Kristy

I just wanted to say, I loved your website especially the try another colour feature, thats fabulous
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2012, 03:29 PM
Lord of the Arts
The Oregon outback....

Hails from United States

Would love to try it...let us know how it works! I am always interested to try something new. Can we see what your working on yet?

Sean