WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Drawing and Sketching
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#286   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2012, 09:08 AM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States
Re: Back again ....

I see ... hmmm ....
  #287   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2012, 09:41 AM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States

Actually, Michael I find machine language to be very straightforward and logical but that is because you only do 1 simple action at a time. For example one line of old machine code might read LDA #05 which means load the accumulator (just a memory location) with the number 5 (base 10). Very simple. Higher level languages like Fortran, Basic, VB or C++ will have each instruction with it's own syntax and probably does a number of those simple operations. Even something like X=5 does a couple of machine level operations.

LDA #5
STA &7F3B (store the accumulator in that hexadecimal memory location which will then be known as "x")

It's all very rational and painfully logical if you understand how to view things at their very lowest level. The easiest way to remember this is to realize that computer memory knows 2 states - on/off ... 1/0. And they can only change 1 bit (0 or 1) at a time. In actuality there is another language going on even BELOW machine language. Loading the accumulator with decimal 5 requires even more commands depending on the how many bits are required for an instruction. In an 8 bit machine, that command requires 16 or more operations to complete. First the memory location of the accumulator must be set - 1 digit at a time .. and then that memory location must be set to 0000 0101 (5) but one digit at a time also. It's all very simple .. but computers can do many millions of such operations per second.

When you think about the page you are viewing it's almost incomprehensible. Not only is Windows or your OS running billions of small little operations just to operate, but the browser is doing the same thing. Particularly interesting is how a computer shows things like letters in the alphabet. Then consider the actual electronics in the machine itself. All those 0s and 1s are being converted into voltages that travel along millions of "runs" and have to get to their destination within a microsecond (millionth of a second) or the machine will spring an error. Billions and billions of those voltages flying around inside your computer and every one MUST be on time and exact. And those voltages must also be within very tight tolerances. For explanation .. say a 1 is 5 volts DC. If for some reason it is only 4.85VDC then errors can occur. It used to be my job to figure out what caused that 5 VDC to be too low or late or anything out of specs. And since this stuff is happening millions of times per second the use of an oscilloscope is required to visually comprehend things. Computers really are amazing things ... all digital electronic equipment is ... but analog electronics is also fascinating.

But this is potentially more information than you wanted. Perhaps in my next thread I'll explain the binary number system, the octal system and the hexadecimal system. Hex is REALLY interesting because it's base 16 .. so you count 0123456789ABCDEF ...and then start over one decimal place to the right. Believe it or not, we used to have to know all that to repair weapon systems on jet fighters. But it's really easy.

Are you getting any ideas as to why I might be detail oriented in my art?
  #288   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2012, 11:16 AM
WC! Guide
I follow my laptop.

Hails from South Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparrowHawk7
Are you getting any ideas as to why I might be detail oriented in my art?
I was thinking exactly that as I was reading
I think, my problem with this machine language, as you so nicely described it, is that I just don't have the patience to build it up piece by piece and want to hurry along the end process
  #289   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2012, 01:45 PM
A WC! Legend
a German living in Ireland

Hails from Ireland

Quote:

I already know what Katie is going to say ....

Not saying nothing

"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci
  #290   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2012, 01:46 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeleric
I was thinking more along the lines of delicious. Tough on the outside but wonderfully soft and delicate on the inside when treated correctly .

you know how to play with words, you do
but it worked

"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci
  #291   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2012, 02:09 PM
WC! Guide
Montana

Hails from United States

Hey Ken have you ever programmed a recursion in Assembly
I do believe my field is also why I'm so detail oriented and I drive my husband nuts sometimes with my analytical skills

:lol; Michael you sure do have a way with words

My Blog Facebook Fan Page
  #292   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2012, 02:34 PM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeleric
I was thinking exactly that as I was reading
I think, my problem with this machine language, as you so nicely described it, is that I just don't have the patience to build it up piece by piece and want to hurry along the end process
And hence my second mantra about practicing patience ... you see? Art is no different than computer programming.
  #293   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2012, 10:32 AM
WC! Guide
Argentina

Hails from Argentina

Quote:
I did a few more hours on this and I suppose I can show it now. I still have more to do on that new eye .. and the far pupil is just a touch too thin ... but it's on the right path I guess. Within a couple more weeks I will outgrow he size of the scan.

I already know what Katie is going to say ... but I hope the rest of you can see something decent in this. I've been staring at it too long now ...

Wow!. That is really a matador´s look, Ken!

Saludos

Luicre
  #294   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2012, 10:56 AM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States

I think you're right, Lu ... thanks. Cold and calculating .. isn't it?
  #295   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2012, 04:58 AM
Veteran Member
WV

Hails from United States

Glad I caught this WIP in the middle... I've yet to attempt drawing a cat in graphite, so I'll be taking great delight in watching the progress and studying your methods.

(Still haven't got around to ordering any Mellotex either.)
  #296   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2012, 07:51 AM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States

Hi Sam. Glad to see you here .... you should try a cat. I enjoy them more than dogs because the fur is finer, the markings generally more involved and the eyes are much more fun - at least to me.
  #297   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2012, 05:27 PM

Very Very cool. great job!
  #298   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2012, 06:08 PM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States

Thansk Moomolithic. I don't think this is one of my best cats ... but I haven't drawn anything in 1.5 years so it's probably better than I have any right to expect. Once I get back to my normal comfort level I ought to do better. Probably not till the next drawing though ...
  #299   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2012, 06:13 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Ireland

Quote:
Thansk Moomolithic. I don't think this is one of my best cats ... but I haven't drawn anything in 1.5 years so it's probably better than I have any right to expect. Once I get back to my normal comfort level I ought to do better. Probably not till the next drawing though ...

You are way too hard on yourself Ken.

We are enjoying your work so much and we are learning so much. Your worst work would be better than most of our best.
I truly wish you would listen ........

#300   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2012, 06:16 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Ireland

Can I just remind everyone that can rate threads if you think that there is great value in them. Kens Threads are full with great advice, so guys .... bring on the stars