WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Partner: WetCanvas Live! > Partner: WetCanvas Live! with Larry Seiler
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#691   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2012, 04:10 PM
Enthusiast
Arizona

Hails from United States
Re: Post Your Dailies here...120 Paintings

Hi Larry

Finally went back to this White Tanks Desert Scene - changed a few things and tried to vary the colors a bit so it didn't look as boring. With that said, not sure I achieved what I wanted but will consider it done for now. The landscape painting eludes me but maybe some day I will get better.

Barbara

http://www.bjranous.weebly.com
  #692   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2012, 05:59 PM
Immortalized
Salmon Arm, British Columbia

Hails from Canada

Nanci- No doubt who the star is in your fish painting. It looks like there is a sun beam coming through the water and landing on him/her. The contrast of the cool colors in the big fish being surrounded by all the warm red fish looks great. I really like all the splashes of color in the Music Fest. Nicely done.

Barbara- I don't think it looks boring. You have great depth in the painting with it getting softer the further back you go. Very well done.

Here is #32. After watching Larry's video, "Last Light Impressions," I thought it was time to bring out the wet paint. This is painted with gouache and is painted on water color paper primed with Art Spectrum Rose Grey Colourfix primer. Something completely different for me. Definitely out of my comfort zone.

Doug
  #693   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 04:52 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Canada

This is my first oil painting. Water miscible oil painting to be exact, but using the paint straight out of the tubes, I can't see any difference. But then again, this is all new to me.

This is painted with W & N Artisan WMO's and is painted on an 8 x 10 canvas board. I used a photo reference from the IRL. It was fun and there will be more oils in the near future.

Doug
  #694   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2012, 10:18 AM
on beautiful Quadra Island, BC off the east coast of Vancouver Island

Hails from Canada

thanks for your comments Doug, nice values in the one above. Here is my new daily painting, another close up!
Jasper acrylic on canvas 6x6"
www.firesignartanddesign.com
  #695   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2012, 10:34 AM
A WC! Legend
NE Wisconsin Nicolet National Forest

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougwas
This is my first oil painting. Water miscible oil painting to be exact, but using the paint straight out of the tubes, I can't see any difference. But then again, this is all new to me...

Doug
Nice vibrancy and energy.

A difficult admission, (or perhaps conclusion to come to) for some artists weighing in on this media or that...is that one can hardly overstate the presence of color. One can be off in their use of values which harnesses color, like a bit in a horses mouth...but again, nature's light is so intense compared to what earth pigments can deliver. I like this one as it emits a better presence of light thru color, the harmonies you've delivered. I'd say experiment more with those water emiscible oils and gouach.

Love natures neutrals and somber moods...but many near automatically paint such due to apprehension in their use of color. And they tend to paint such in a dull and muterd manner. I think for many...this is a reason painting set up on location is such a renaissance revelational wake up moment. Your painting sits right there, the subject just beyond...TAUNTING any meger timid attempts! Shouting, "go bold or stay home!"

For those with difficulty painting outdoors for health reasons it can help to view the works of a good many proficient painters that do paint outdoors. You can somewaht learn vicariously from their experiences. My blog has many fine painters Ive listed with links to their web sites.

Nice work Doug...
  #696   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2012, 06:42 AM

Doug, good job on your first oil? Really? Your first? I imagine all your experience with pastel is informing your oil work. I wondered what size this is, because I was particularly impressed with your paint handling of the light between the tree trunks. Especially on a small panel, can be hard to do that part well. Did you use a smaller brush?

Nanci, I love each of the last three paintings here...the looseness of the music festival one is awesome. It's really enough, isn't it? Wonderful....
  #697   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2012, 02:08 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Canada

Larry- Thank you for the encouragement and your insightful comments. I am comfortable using color and I know some colors should be muted so the pure colors can shine, but it is something I have to work at. I guess it is a work in progress.

I haven't been able to paint the past few days, but I hope to be able to give it a go today. I have spent a lot of time going through the blogs you have listed on your blog. I don't think I am half way through the list yet and I haven't even started the list of actual sites. Great information and examples of different styles and how these painters use color.

I plan on using and experimenting more with gouache and WMO's. I love mixing colors and using a brush. I don't know why, but I find I have more control with a brush than I do when using pastels. Then on the other hand, it feels like I loosen up using a brush. Does that make sense? Thanks again for all your help. I am enjoying watching the lessons again. I pick up something every time I play them back. Well worth the money.

Meredith- Thank you. I have played with oils before and did one demo from Susan Sarback's book, "Capturing Radiant Light and Color." I also did a color theory course using oils, but this was the first oil painting that is all mine. The color theory course gave me confidence with mixing colors and I have an understanding what will happen when I mix two colors. And yes, I believe painting with pastels has helped me a lot.

The light between the trunks was painted before I painted the trunks. I just turned the flat brush sideways and painted between the trees and the shadow and then I dabbed the trunks with the darker color. This is all new to me, so I am learning by doing. I don't know if I am doing things the right way or not, but I am not afraid to try things.

Nanci- Big, bold, confident strokes. I love all the abstract shapes. The glint of light in the eye on our left is nicely done.

Doug
  #698   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2012, 12:51 AM
Pittsburgh, PA USA

Hails from United States

Still trying to get loose. Loose in watercolors. Also trying to get the time set aside to paint. I was in the hospital for 7 days and fell way behind. Here is my latest. I have more to upload. I love this painting of the horses. Also, I know the horse on the right gave me a headache. He is way overworked. I failed on that one. But what do you say about this Larry???? thank you in advance... Carol
Attached Images

#699   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2012, 11:48 AM
Northern CA

Hails from United States

So encouraging to see what everyone is working on and the progress being made. I am still painting (slowly, always more slowly than I would like) through all the busyness; Dr appts, daughter home from college, prepping to paint in a garden tour next weekend.

Since I mainly paint with palette knives I have been trying to apply what I read in, "Brushwork Essentials". Another tool in my arsenal might be a good thing. Initially brushes left the impression of painting with wet noodles. It helped to use bristle brushes and I am feeling more comfortable. I do find myself still trying to use the knives when a brush would probably serve better. I am focusing more on florals due to the aforementioned garden tour.
#12,13 and 14 all 5"x7" oil on panel

I am really happy with the blue bottle. It's the first time I've done a transparent glass that 'feels' like glass. While I am happy with the dandelion puffs in the middle painting the background desperately needs help. It kind of screams 'UGLY'. The last one is OK, I think I would do it differently next time.

I found the tone wheel interesting and plan to investigate more after next week. Would that be something a nocturne would mainly utilize?
  #700   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2012, 09:23 PM
Enthusiast
Arizona

Hails from United States

Finished this watercolor painting of the Tulips I started and stopped - completed a lot of other paintings and finally came back to this one. Wasn't happy with the way it was turning out so I decided to do a design with it instead - it goes with the other two previously done. It's on watercolor paper and ink and watercolor to complete.

I do have to say there are a lot of nice paintings on this site.

Now I want to get back to trying landscapes again.

Barbara

#701   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2012, 10:33 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Canada

Carol- Spending seven days in the hospital is no fun. I hope everything is going well for you now that you are out. Your painting has wonderful movement to it. I can hear those horses running. Very well done.

CaKatt- I think we all wish we could paint faster. You are doing fine using a brush instead of a knife. It must feel quite different for you. I'm used to having a pastel stick in my hand, so it's taking a while to get used of brush for me as well. You did a great job on the glass vase. The last painting has a nice unity to it with all those yellows and greens. Good luck with the garden tour.

Barbara- The tulips have a nice soft look to them. The ink outlines give the painting a graphic look. I like all the variety of greens in the leaves.

Here are the latest two paintings. Both are done with WMO's and are painted on canvas panels. The first one was painted a few days ago and I just didn't feel as though it turned out the way I had in mind. It is 9 x 7.

The second painting was done this afternoon after watching the fifth lesson. Larry mentioned painting with a limited palette and premixing a dark, medium and light in all the colors made things easier. I tried a split complementary palette of ultramarine blue, cad red hue, cad yellow light and titanium white. It did make things easier. Didn't have to stop painting to mix a color. It was great! Sort of like painting with pastels, just not as many choices. Anyway, I know it's no masterpiece, but for my third ever oil painting I'm happy with it. It is 7 x 5.

Doug
  #702   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2012, 06:36 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Canada

Here is a 'pigment soup' painting. Before the last painting, I mixed the remainder of paint I had on my palette together to make a pretty pile of mud and set it aside on the palette. I toned the canvas panel with it, rubbing the paint into the surface until it was a nice light red grey. I then added a little dab of the mud into every pile of paint on my palette from the last painting, unifying all the different colors. This is the result.

Painted with W & N Artisan WMO's and painted on a 5 x 7 canvas panel. Thank you Paula Ford for the photo from the RIL. This took less than an hour to paint. Yes! I am getting quicker.

Doug
  #703   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2012, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member
Upstate NY

Hails from United States

Wow, everyone's been doing beautiful work!

Been a while since I've posted. A lot of things have been going on, mainly the disintegration of my marriage. Pretty awful, at times I didn't think I'd survive but w/the help of my friend mr. xanax I did. Husband has returned to the homestead and surprisingly we get along just fine. We're living separated but in the same house, a bit tense at first but things are more relaxed and friendly now.

I signed up for an ongoing painting class at the local art center, Liverpool Art Center. Really enjoying it, my painting has improved. It's great because Sandra can show me firsthand how to do the things that I'd been having so many problems with. For instance trees. Those little buggers were causing me no end of worry, I could not figure out how to do them. Now I have a better grasp of them, and am more confident. I repainted a scene from Green Lakes that I'd done twice before. It's not as I'd like it, but I'm happier with the results. Now I can leave it alone for a while until I've improved to the point where I can nail it.

edit to add that the colors aren't quite right.

Green Lakes Path, Oil 8 x 10 canvas board

Last edited by libby2 : 05-18-2012 at 11:27 AM.
  #704   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2012, 05:22 PM
Enthusiast
Arizona

Hails from United States

A study of winter in the country and the mood it creates

#705   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2012, 10:52 AM
A WC! Legend
NE Wisconsin Nicolet National Forest

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougwas
Larry mentioned painting with a limited palette and premixing a dark, medium and light in all the colors made things easier. I tried a split complementary palette of ultramarine blue, cad red hue, cad yellow light and titanium white. It did make things easier. Didn't have to stop painting to mix a color. It was great! Sort of like painting with pastels, just not as many choices. Anyway, I know it's no masterpiece, but for my third ever oil painting I'm happy with it. It is 7 x 5.

Doug

good on ya, Doug...moody...holds together, harmony...

I am surprised, even with plein air painters..how many painters mix on the fly. That is...see a color, THEN mix it up.

Fine if you paint super fast...and I do that from time to time, but have a lot of experience. For many painters, the light changes so much during the course of the painting, and you can tell the inexperienced because things are painted "as they see them" and "when they see them" which becomes pretty obvious by rendering of light and shadows.

Pre-mixing does a number of things, one it teaches you to begin to see the painting finished ahead of time, in your head...to plan for it, and stick to the plan...thus releasing or saving you from the tendency to chase the light and a slave to the moment.

Also, confidence. When you see it harmonize on the palette and working, you know its going to work in the painting...!

Nice stuff...keep it up!