WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2012, 11:52 AM
A Local Legend
Arkansas

Hails from England
Re: The "Goal Post" for May 2012

Doug I love your latest oil painting. You did a great job especially considering it was your first time. I like to change mediums especially if I am having a slump. Slopping with oils is always fun.

Magda, interesting painting. I don't know how to advise you but I like it.

I haven't done any painting as I am busy getting ready to go to my daughter's this weekend, probably the only painting I will do there is for the new baby to be room. Something about painting stripes on the blinds!! I probably will need sunglasses.

C & c's always welcome
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2012, 05:25 PM
Enthusiast
South East

Hails from England

I also like the lastpainting on your blog Doug. It looks good and also that is as you saya quarter of the way to your target.

The beach would be niceRobert although I think you may find the sand too hard going to makea foray down the beach, especially with the rollator. We did a lot ofbeaching when my children were young and pushing the push-chair wasan impossibility - it had to be dragged. I'd hate for you to get stuck

So you get to paint asingle colour on a wall the Jen? How abstract is that? Best wishesfor the new baby.

Charlie has been busy busybusy.

Sorry to leave outeverybody else but I have to get on as I am going to upgrade thismachine with windows 7. I've done the clean install (I wanted it thatway) but now have to download the programs that I use. All myfavourite price BTW.

I've been racking up thebrownie points and my halo has this lovely glow http://www.smileys4msn.com/displaysmiley.php?show=1064 with all the steamcleaning going on. Also realised that swapping printers with SWMBOallowed her 64bit machine to have my modern versatile printer (my old one died last week)whilstmy older 32bit machine runs her Dell V505 over the wifi for which the techies saythere are no 64 bit drivers.
jim
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2012, 05:29 AM
South Africa, Randburg

Hails from South Africa

Thanks jim for noting the different light directions. I actually had it right when I was using different images in the background (which I discarded before even wanting to post anything) Completely forgot to keep checking on it while working - tell me if I did it again, please

Charlie Good luck with your exhibition and "PGE stuff"
I don't really know how to unify my cosmos with the background, but I am playing around with a few ideas - thanks for taking the time to look.

Cali: Better late than never! Good goals, we'll cheer you on!

Doug, well done! I wish I could work so fast...

Judi, I hope you get a great deal on your new laptop.

Jen, I also painted my kid's rooms - first Teddy bears and Rabbits, then Clowns - Huge ones! Now we'll have to prep the walls properly before painting the more usual one colour only walls.

Anyways, I have done one of the Spotlights and drawn a cardinal for the next one. And, of course still planning the oil painting. Maybe hoping to finish it before end the month is a bit too ambitious, but if I don't try, I'll never succeed.

Do any of you sell prints of your artworks? Through which site would you go? I am considering Fine Art America (if I don't find any reasons not to) - anyone had experience with them?.

Magda de Lange
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2012, 08:16 AM
Enthusiast
South East

Hails from England

Just a thought Magda, if you composed that piccy via your software then flipping either the FG or the BG horizontally would make the light look as if it was coming from one direction.
jim (getting on with the housework).
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2012, 05:45 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Cali, yay for your goals!

LOL Doug, you are so right about waiting room magazines. Half the clinics I've ever been to assumed men didn't read. Those that had any men's magazines assumed all we do is hunt, fish and buy expensive suits. Once in a great while, about one in ten, I'd see something like National Geographic or Smithsonian, some photo heavy nature magazine that was readable.

This clinic didn't even have magazines so there was nothing to get mad at. The other one has no adult reading, just a rack of toddler level photo books about babies. So I have to bring sketch materials or read Kindle books on my iPhone.

No drawing or painting since Monday's orchids sketch. Nothing. Tuesday morning I went out to Safeway with my home care worker, bought super high quality cat food for Ari, cat treats and some human foods including yogurt to share with Ari. "Cheese" is my theme of the month more than meat. Then was so tired I slept on and off waking up whenever my pills wore off.

Repeat on Wednesday, getting up early in the morning to get to my shot appointment and running into lots of trouble with Paratransit running almost an hour late and eventually getting me a different driver. I'd set the pickup time with half an hour to spare and that still wasn't enough. The stress caused a massive fibromyalgia flare, so Thursday I didn't even go online except to read articles - wasn't up to typing responses, just reading articles and sleeping a lot. Now it's three in the morning on Friday and I'm awake.

Going out this afternoon to do the bulletin board for the Unitarian Universalist Small Group Ministry - the old bulletin board about it was so old the construction paper faded, so it's time to put up new poster paper and stuff. It'll be a challenge because I don't do collage, but not too bad because I'm just drawing cartoon figures and cutting them out and drawing captions and cutting those out, in marker on colored paper.

I'll post it in the Scumble if anyone's interested. But this seems to be the week of doing things besides artwork. Very frustrating to get that tired out.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2012, 06:52 AM
Munich, Germany

I haven't gotten any art done apart from one journal sketch this week (although I did make it to bookbinding), but I've been extremely active in other ways. I went to a medieval market twice this weekend (kind of a little like a ren fair) and wound up between that and archery spending something like 7 hours walking around over the two days --an astonishing amount for me these days. I also had three doctor's appointments (apparently I'm anemic now on top of everything else, and the blood test results still make no sense to the doctors) and today I started physical therapy to strengthen my lower back to help prevent more disc slippage down there (finally!!). That last bit, though, has helped my mood quite a lot. I'm still annoyed with myself at not having managed a single sketch at the medieval market, though. I had my sketchbook with me, but the first time there was a 3 year old girl in our group (the daughter of a friend of mine), and the second time it rained most of the time
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2012, 08:12 AM
Enthusiast
New England

Hails from United States

Rob...I feel for you and empathize with your fatigue ...I spent yesterday lying about after spending Wed. 'out' all day.

But I did come up with a laptop! It's an HP Notebook, and so far I like it. I managed to get it pretty much set up myself, as the instructions were easy to follow. But I have the 'computer doctor' coming this afternoon, just to check things out for me.
Then I should be back in business. None too soon, either, as the old laptop wouldnt 'come up' for me yesterday when I tried it.

This one is a bit different from the old one, as it has the Windows 7. My desk top and (old) laptop have the XP which I like a lot. And I have the Word 2003 on both . The new one is offering 2010, but at too much of a cost. so will have to figure out what to do about that.

anyway, I'll be taking it downstairs later today to try out finishing the lily from the Spotlight....and then some....

C&C always welcomed and appreciated
JudiB
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2012, 11:27 AM
A Local Legend
Arkansas

Hails from England

Well it seems to be a week of not getting art done! Life keeps getting in the way for all of us!

Robert hope you get back on track really soon. I hope your collage notice board works well for you. It will at least brighten up the lives of those who look at it and I am sure a frisky Ari could fine his way onto it!

Mercy hang in there. The medieval thing sounds like a lot of fun.

Judy I hate it when computer goes off. Darn things have become so important to us that it quite throws us off when they don't work!

I hoped to do a Spotlight at art group yesterday but we ended up sorting and bundling books ready for our big move instead!

C & c's always welcome
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2012, 03:39 PM
A Local Legend
Norfolk England

Hails from England

I'm sorry folks that I've done it again, dropped off the map for a bit.
I just want to say, Robert, the Ari sketch page is a dream. I love each and every one of them!

I've done 3 for the spotlight so now I must move on to my other goals.......

check out the Pastel Guild of Europe http://www.pastelguild.org/
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2012, 08:08 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Purr thank you for your comments on the Ari sketch page! I still need to pack all that art and ship it to Sweden, but I'm waiting for a good day when I'm up to doing something that physical.

Today's bulletin board was a bright success. Unfortunately I forgot to snap a photo of it when it was done, but when I go back for the next small group ministry I'll get a photo. It worked. It's very, very bright. All in collage with one black marker to do captions. So that's a first for me and a tick for Other Accomplishments.

Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2012, 11:02 AM
Enthusiast
Berlin, the Capital of Germany

Hails from Germany

Robert, I am looking forward to see a photo of the bulletin board!
I had to wait until Thursday to do some art. I was so happy on Thursday evening to have some time to do some lineart for my next copic piece! But then I got into a kind of flow and got two pieces finished (I uploaded one to my May Virtual Art journal, the other one is a contribution to the Plant parade in the florals forum).
I also struggled with refilling one of my markers. I haven't got a 3D sight which means that I have difficulties with pouring liquids in containers and of course dripping droplets of ink into small containers. Fortunately I did all this with some newspapers on the desk, so some of the ink went onto the newspaper. But in the end I managed to refill the marker...
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2012, 07:49 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

I won't have a photo of it until week after next, the third Tuesday of the month. But I'll try to remember to get one then. It came out well. People liked it. Came out very, very bright!

Ulla, so cool you did a Plant Parade painting. The reveal date on those always drives me nuts. I get frustrated not posting and then forget to post on the reveal day. Would you please message me and bug me to post mine? I just did one too - got a Tick for today that's a Plant Parade painting.

Of course, against the spirit of Plant Parade's reveal date, I also blogged it as a step by step demo on Rob's Art Lessons so anyone who's too curious can see it there. With what I think is a pretty simple lesson, easy to try at home.

#73   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2012, 06:33 AM
Enthusiast
Berlin, the Capital of Germany

Hails from Germany

Robert, I hear you--I will blog mine as well on Monday because I think that not everybody in the Plant forum will read my blog... I'll message you on thursday and remind you (have to write that into my hitask online calendar in order not to forget it).
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2012, 03:48 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Ulla, thank you! I know I'd forget otherwise.

Tick - painted a little watercolor Ari from life today. It's a daily painting even if it hasn't got a background. He's too cute to resist. Whenever I falter, I should just look for my cat and see if he inspires me.

I got too sick to stay in Johannes' paint along today but I did paint a little Ari, so that counts for a tick.

#75   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2012, 04:43 PM
Owen Sound, Ontario

Hails from Canada

So I wrote my Computed Tomography exam on Friday - piece of cake...mind you I always do a franic 'panic-study-session' and then laugh after because it was a piece of cake (answers to questions in other questions? yes please!). So I guess the 'study' portion of my one goal is done, and the passing part I'm sure will happen too...I'll find out in 6-8 weeks.

I won't be able to tick off my "plein-air" up in Northern Ontario with my Mom...it was really windy, and chilly - and they were working the crops into the fields, so I was helping them with that and not able to go outside with my pastels. Maybe another time.

Robert - I'm working on a Plant Parade piece as well, and I am also frustrated that I can't post before the reveal date. I'm doing it with pastels on a support that I prepared with the Acrylic Gesso Ground from Golden, and I am wishing I could post as a WIP to get some help. Although...it's not looking very "Art Nouveau-ish"...so I'm not sure if it'll even make it into the plant parade.

To comment on the 'clinic magazines'...my x-ray waiting room in the hospital has mostly girly magazines, but thats' because 8 girls work here, and only 1 boy in this department, and so we bring in our magazines when we're done with them. There's nothing in the budget for buying magazines...compared to the equipment / supplies we need it's not as necessary; and espcially since most patients don't wait more than 15 minutes - there's a tv they can watch if they don't like the magazines. So they're all gardening and such. I have caught quite a few elderly men going right for the Cosmo's though lol. One positive point though, we tend to throw out old ones...we don't have 2-3 year old magazines in our waiting rooms like other places, but it's more of a "dirty fingers" reason: people coming in are sick, and not everyone washes their hands properly; it's just another way to pass germs; and people who may have things like cancer or other immunocompromising illness don't need those germs. So we get rid of them after a short while. Woah...I didn't think it would be that long of a response. sorry...

Jen - I wish I got more art done this week too...I guess it that exam just took up all my time.

Judi - yea on a new laptop!! I must say that I like Windows 7 way more than XP; but that's just me. You never know, you might take to it once you get used to it