WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > The Learning Zone
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: Which three watercolour papers do you prefer?
Ampersand 9 2.79%
Arches 236 73.07%
Bockingford 30 9.29%
Canson Montval 26 8.05%
Cotman 3 0.93%
Fabriano 144 44.58%
Kilimanjaro 27 8.36%
Lanaquarelle 21 6.50%
Magnani 2 0.62%
Richeson 5 1.55%
Saunders Waterford 80 24.77%
Strathmore 45 13.93%
Twinrocker 11 3.41%
Velke Losiny 2 0.62%
Winsor Newton 18 5.57%
Yupo 15 4.64%
Other 35 10.84%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 323. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2012, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member

Re: Watercolour paper poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumkin54
Actually Montval is Canson's student grade. Their Foundation and XL lines are essentially sub-student grade (what I call scholastic, ie for little kids grinding through 100 pages a day with little concern for quality).
Their artist grade line is called Canson 100, meaning 100% cotton. It's the one that's cold press on one side and rough press on the other.

Oh well I screwed that up! I had heard that utrecht brand was Canson (it comes with a Canson sticker on it...) and the sticker did say 100...

Sorry folks! I wonder if it would have fared better had the distinction been properly made?

I use those XL pads all day! Don't make a mistake, because a squirrel mop is too rough for this surface and you won't get a chance to scrub or even lift...
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2012, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sashntash
Unfortunately, you can't design the perfect poll.

If we had only been able to choose one brand of paper, I would have had a problem because I like Arches and Fabriano Artistico equally... but for different types of paintings.

I think polls are interesting and I always enjoy reading people's comments about their choice(s). But many people don't participate in any of the polls - which is fine... their choice.

I think your poll got a good response.

Thanks! i really like polls myself and have been resisting the urge to put up polls about everything from pastel fixative to linen vs. canvas to compressed vs natural charcoal to what is the best cerulean blue to everyone's favorite gesso to tape or staple, bristle or synth, dogs or puppies, portraits or landscape, fancy lights vs. regular, paint sober vs other, nude or clothed, smocked, standing sitting squinting winking blinking humming this medium that brand those tools these books contemporary artists to on and on etcetcetcetcetcetcetc

Sorry, I like to know what other folks do!
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2012, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
...If we had only been able to choose one brand of paper, I would have had a problem because I like Arches and Fabriano Artistico equally... but for different types of paintings...

Could you please expand on "different types of paintings" with regards to the papers you use? thx in advance
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2012, 01:13 PM
Germany

I really wonder what I'm doing wrong with Arches. I simply can't work on it. It feels like painting on a T-shirt for me. I can't draw colour out with water on Arches for the life of me.

For vivid colours and great handling, I've fallen on Canson Montval.
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2012, 01:49 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude j greengrass
Could you please expand on "different types of paintings" with regards to the papers you use? thx in advance

In my experience, Fabriano Artistico CP is a little smoother and a little softer than Arches CP. Which in turn, makes Arches just a little rougher and a little harder.

Therefore, I find that I prefer Fabriano Artistico if I am doing primarily wet on dry... what I would call standard traditional watercolor techniques.

If I am doing really wet-on-wet I will use Arches. It seems to work better for that technique. Also... because the Arches - in my experience - has a slightly rougher texture, it is better for dry brush techniques.

So it all depends on what the primary technique will be in a particular painting.

I most often reach for Fabriano Artistico... it is a beautiful surface to paint on. But for really wet-on-wet, Arches works a whole lot better. I think the difference lies in the sizing. Perhaps others who are more knowledgeable about such things could chime in.

I've heard that Arches is sized both internally and externally. Is that true? Are other papers only sized externally? Or internally?

Does anyone know?
Time to play......
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2012, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
In my experience, Fabriano Artistico CP is a little smoother and a little softer than Arches CP. Which in turn, makes Arches just a little rougher and a little harder...

Thanks for that. I now know that I don't have to try Fabriano Artistico as it will have too soft and too smooth a finish for me, reference Arches.

No need for you to try Two River as their handmade paper will be too rough and have to course a surface in reference to Arches.
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2012, 06:34 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Just so there is no confusion......
Fabriano Artistico is very much traditional CP paper.

The differences between Fabriano Artistico and Arches are very subtle.... but noticeable, once you have used both of them for quite a while.

At first, I didn't like Fabriano Artistico at all because I was so used to Arches. Now I absolutely love Fabriano and still love Arches.
Time to play......
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2012, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

I've been using both papers and, although I haven't used either of them a huge deal, I notice that the Fabriano does not take scrubbing as well, probably because it is softer. With Arches if I have a staining color (usually accidental splashes), I have a scrubber brush that I can lightly use to remove most of the stain and the paper surface handles it really well. Using this same technique on Fabriano did nothing to the stains and marred the surface, making it clear it'd been scrubbed.

#54   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2012, 11:13 AM
A WC! Legend
All over the place

Hails from United States

Arches all the way in whatever form it is.
I picked yupo since it was something I tried years ago and liked.
Then I picked OTHER because I can't remember the name of the roll of paper that I get from Daniel Smith. I know it's 4 feet in width and is 156lb...but the name eludes me. I go thru a roll plus yearly on top of my sheets of Arches. Wish I could remember the brand....grrrrr!!

#55   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2012, 04:11 PM
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia

I primarily use Arches 300 gsm as it has a texture pattern I like ( I do not like papers with a regular pattern) and it has plenty of sizing allowing paint to be lifted reasonably well. Most of my work is done on cold press (80%) and the rest is on rough. I use Saunders Waterford at times but not often.
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2012, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valri Ary
Arches all the way in whatever form it is.
I picked yupo since it was something I tried years ago and liked.
Then I picked OTHER because I can't remember the name of the roll of paper that I get from Daniel Smith. I know it's 4 feet in width and is 156lb...but the name eludes me. I go thru a roll plus yearly on top of my sheets of Arches. Wish I could remember the brand....grrrrr!!
I did a search on DS for "156 lb" and the only thing that came up was Arches in a roll of that weight.
http://www.danielsmith.com/ItemList-...r-Rolls--m-770

#57   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-28-2012, 07:38 AM
Veteran Member
Virginia

Hails from United States

My favorite paper is Fabriano Artistico 300 lb soft press, which is what I do all "professional" work for sale on these days. The soft press surface, unique to this brand, is sorta between cold press and hot press. That said, I might try cold press next time I do a big order for supplies because I like the way granulating paints settle into the cold press surface a lot. And I use a lot of granulating paints because I love the serendipitous texture they offer. I can't speak to how much abuse the paper can take because while I lift a lot, I tend to use low or no staining paints when I can or paint around whites/highlights and do almost all my lifting when the paint is still wet. So I don't have to abuse the surface to lift, normally.

I use Arches 140 lb cold press for exploring and practicing and doing studies. I like it fine, it is a very nice paper but not as "stable" as the 300 lb in terms of resisting buckling if I work really wet (not my normal style). I don't like to stretch paper, but usually do attach it to a board with tape. When the stock of Arches that I have runs out, I probably won't buy more because I favor the Fabriano Artistico.

I chose Strathmore too, only because their 140 lb cold press Windpower Watercolor spiral-bound pads have a remarkably nice surface to work on. I like heavily sized paper so the paint sits there for awhile and can be worked; this paper does that. I buy the 6x9 size by the dozen from Blick (super price there) and use them to explore color mixing, do value studies, and practice techniques.

Obviously, when using different papers, you have to adjust your brushwork to each paper's characteristics. But these are the three brands I work on 95% of the time, each with its own particular use.

Last edited by Brindle : 05-28-2012 at 07:45 AM.
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-28-2012, 01:29 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

Guess I have to be different...I love YUPO! I know it has a reputation of being difficult--and...IT IS...but I really LOVE the brightness of the colors on it; reminds me of stained glass! Also, I actually prefer the challenge of working with it knowing that I can always wipe away any mistakes (for the most part). Wouldn't give it up for the world.

A close second would be Arches 140 lb. HP--also love CP--and 300 lb. weight; not a big fan of rough paper. Love the durability and its dependable nature; can't go wrong with Arches if you want predictability in your paper!

Third choice would be Fabriano CP and HP--would love to get some soft press tho. I've haven't actually TRIED it yet but I have a bunch of it (recently ordered) and I'm pretty sure that I'll like it when I do. Heard too many good things about it...

Really would like to try the Saunders-Waterford paper; mostly because of the 200 lb factor but have heard so many good things about it too. I've tried Lanaquarelle once or twice--it's ok, I guess. First paper that I ever used was a pad of Arches...hard to fathom that now! I've also tried a printmaking paper called BFK Rives (Pat Dew used it in a book of hers); it's ok too, I guess--might just have been having a bad day (painting-wise...). Oh yeah, I have also tried (I think it was either Canson or Bainbridge--maybe both) art "boards". It's alot like painting on HP paper only it's a firmer surface. Have to remember to seal the edges all around with canning wax tho...helps keep it from peeling apart when it gets really wet. Love it alot!

Gotta go paint!

Michele

"Insanity--Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"...Albert Einstein

Last edited by artdreamer1 : 05-28-2012 at 01:43 PM.
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2012, 07:20 PM
East Bay San Francisco

Hails from United States

I am all for Arches and Fabriano. Although, I just got handmade in America paper;and, can't wait to try it.
I'll post the results of my creations on my blog http://www.irinasztukowski.blogspot.com/
Cheers!
Irina
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2012, 08:05 PM
A Local Legend
New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Have always been a Saunders Waterford (not) fan, reasonably priced has some texture ,takes quite a lot of abuse,