WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2012, 07:45 PM
Houston, TX

Hails from United States
WIP: Oil Portrait "Pug Daddy"

A dear friend's father passed away last week. She is the founder of the local pug rescue I support and foster for. Money is tight for me right now, but in lieu of donating to the rescue as requested in the obit I'm painting a 16"x20" portrait of her dad and one of her favorite senior dogs; both of whom have now passed.

I'm limited with reference photos; the best I have is one taken by a fellow rescue volunteer that I know she loves. It's horrible as far as color; but the expression and connection between man and dog is great. I'm going to give it a go.

I did the underpainting in acrylic/glaze (my normal procedure since it dries fast. Then I'll switch to oils for blending. Because I'm trying to finish it in less than 3 days, I'll probably not be able to do much glazing.

I'm posting this as a WIP since I'll probably need help! I changed the composition to focus on the faces of the two old men. I work with a brush better than a pencil, so I do my underpainting in lieu of a detailed drawing. I didn't waste a lot of time on anything but the faces so things may change.

C&C, input welcome!

Karen
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2012, 10:52 PM
Veteran Member
Great Lakes

Hails from United States
Re: WIP: Oil Portrait "Pug Daddy"

Nice! I think you've captured the man's loving expression well. I like the style of drawing as well.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2012, 12:11 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

I think you're doing great. Keep us updated on the progress! It's a wonderful thing you're doing with this painting.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2012, 01:28 AM
The Left Coast

Hails from United States

This looks good.. one thing that comes to mind is - neither of them is looking at the other.. at least the man might look at the dog ? The dog head needs a bit more observation to get the perspective of the eyes to muzzle/nose correct - though I know you are just building the painting!

-Kevin
http://www.tumblr.com/blog/kevinwueste
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2012, 09:57 AM
WC! Guide
Peoria, Illinois

Hails from United States

This is a really great pose of them together! It has a nice sense of compassion and tenderness- a wonderful memorial and donation.

His head has gotten a bit narrow, and do watch your light side values as you work into oils- they have become a bit dark- lighter ones will help with form. Here is a side by side of his head (hope you don't mind):

www.KenTiessenArt.com
All Comments or Critiques welcomed...always!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2012, 07:44 PM
georgia usa

Hails from United States

I love the wistful look and kind expression on his face. You did a good job putting the 2 of them together. They look content and connected. What a great tribute.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2012, 09:23 PM
Houston, TX

Hails from United States

Well, here I am at the end of day 2 (yesterday was only about 4 hrs). I'm working in oils al a prima (since I have no time to do multiple layers of glaze).

I like the face, but I need to add some more color. Hopefully it will dry enough by tomorrow for me not to make mud. The reference might just as well have been black and white for all the information I got from it so I'm just kind of winging it here.

I fought with the shirt for an hour before just doing kind of an impressionistic version; the arm is in a different position in the reference, and without something to look at my fabric folds looked forced. Maybe I'll leave it this way after adding some more darks.

Pug tomorrow, then try to make the whole thing look cohesive. Thanks for the help everyone. I can use more input, now.

Ken, the face width error seen on the underpainting was a function of my photo; I didn't shoot it from straight on, and corrected it in photoshop using distort. I blew up the original to 16x20 on my printer and traced in the main landmarks so I wouldn't be off big time.
Attached Images

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2012, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member
Southport, NC for the present.

Hails from United States

He has that lost in thought expression. Wonderful gift that will always have meaning to the family. Well done.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 03:24 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Canada

For a little more input, I think the left (his left) eyebrow is dropping a bit more than the referrence photo from the relationship with the bottom of the hat brim.

Jon C.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 07:06 PM
Houston, TX

Hails from United States

Well, I thought I was done until I saw this picture. The shirt STILL needs more work. I had to make up folds since the arm is in a different position, and it looks like it. I still can do touch-up in the morning, so if amyone sees something else I need to fix, please chime in!! I'll post the reference again so you don't have to scroll up. Thanks for the help.
Attached Images

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 07:53 PM
A Local Legend
Arizona

Hails from United States

I comend you on how your pulling this together-- I like how you have become the artist of the subject and not just copied your doing very well.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2012, 09:51 AM
Immortalized
Ct. usa

Hails from United States

hello
nice WIP .
the shirtfolds look okay to me - it's a secondary thing .

double check his left cheek .
the ref pix seems to have just a bit more of a smile ,
but without seeing it , i wouldn't have mentioned .

a very thoughtful gift , sure to be appreciated .

Ed :}
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2012, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member
Chicago, IL

Hails from United States

This is a wonderful portrait and will be a great gift. He has a gentle look to him. Personally, I would focus on the face and not too much on the clothing.