WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watermedia
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2012, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member
Armstrong Valley

Hails from United States
A portrait on YUPO?

I attempted a homage to Albert Einstein, photographer Phillipe Halsman and artist John Nieto...I think I came close, but no cigar. I decided to try to freehand a mirror image of Halsman's original black and white photograph on YUPO, then color it in with Derwent Ink-tense pencils, in the color scheme by artist John Nieto, then wet the whole thing down.

There is a story told that Halsman famously asked Einstein what he thought of his math being used to slaughter innocents at Hiroshima and Nagasaki a second before snapping this picture, I can't verify that story.

It was a success because it definitely stretched my brain, doing the reversed image while drawing. I have never have talked to myself so much while working - "No, you moron, that line goes on the other side of the face..."
º¿º

Last edited by Rob't Emmet : 05-04-2012 at 10:56 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2012, 07:36 AM
Veteran Member
Nr. Congleton, South Cheshire

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: A portrait on YUPO?

Hi robert - this is wonderful, so different to the usual portraits!

Not sure about the yellow in the background, perhaps that needs toning down? JMHO. However, I'm not familliar with the artists you mention, so that might be influencing my comments!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2012, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member
Armstrong Valley

Hails from United States

Thank you. The background is actually his hair...Einstein had a shock of white hair in Halsmans B & W photo, that Nieto colored wildly in his treatment a few years ago. I was just trying to be accurate to Nieto's color scheme, while dealing with the vagaries of water resistant YUPO. It seems odd to use a water resistant ground for a water based media, but that is what makes YUPO a challenge. I believe where I blew it is the length of Einstein' face, which appears to be slightly longer in the original photo.º¿º
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2012, 10:53 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

Definitely I can tell it is him. I really do like this rendition of old Albert so colorful and alive.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2012, 02:49 PM
Ottawa, ON. Canada

Hails from Canada

Great work! Shows what Inktense can do with enough work! (Which is encouraging for me since as you know I`m new to them)
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2012, 11:14 AM
WC! Guide
Michigan

Hails from United States

This is great; colorful and recognizable...but then I'm no Einstein!

Painting should be a happy experience, not a pressured activity. No artist can paint a masterpiece every time he paints.” ~Lian Quan Zhen -