WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Think Tank > Creativity
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2012, 05:00 PM
olive oyl

Re: The noob questions

Hi Frujin:

I've always called myself a painter but in the beginning, I felt weird calling myself an "artist" for some reason. Felt like too much of a "self-important" word. I really don't know what's changed, but now I'm okay calling myself an artist OR a painter. I barely pay attention to what I say anymore, and the people I say that to don't seem to notice the difference anyway.

As to "what is art or not art"...sigh...people argue about that all day long and since forever and so I suppose we all come to our definitions over time. I'm still reading and learning and forming opinions which are always "subject to change." Others around here have firmer convictions than mine obviously, but nobody can tell me what I should or shouldn't like, or what I should or shouldn't express. THAT does NOT fly.

And as to being afraid to express yourself, maybe you just have to be willing to jump in feet first, or head first, and not care about the criticism of others (hard, I know) or of looking foolish. I can't even count the number of my foolish times anymore. You'll be judged favorably or unfavorably all day long over everything - no matter what - so if you can get that out of your mind and focus on what your own heart is telling you, its easier to keep stepping forward.

(And loved your post, Viking. Hooray for morbidity!)
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2012, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member

frujin, in reference to your worry about expressing yourself where someone not registered can see it, many, many people deal with this by using a pseudonym or going only by first name. If your first name is, in fact, frujin, leaving off your last name doesn't give you very much privacy- not like if your name were Julia or Di or Susan. But you could use an entirely different name or initlals.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2012, 06:09 PM

Any chance I change my nick name here? Admins?
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2012, 07:46 PM
A WC! Legend
Lenexa, Kansas, USA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by frujin
1. What is art and what not? When it comes to [works of art] - is there ANY definition really?

I think, to be properly called "art", the work has to be intentionally created. Moneys, elephants, and cats "may" create "art"--but a sunset (no matter how beautiful) is not "art".

I also think that, to be properly called "art", the work has to be out of the ordinary. A messy table (Damien Hirst) or an unmade bed (Tracy Emin), aren't art, IMO--even if they were "created" by famous artists.

Quote:
2. Who is artist and who is not?

Anyone who makes "art", is an "artist".

Quote:
When you guys say "I am an artist" .. what gives you the confidence to say it? The qualities of your works? The fact that you managed to sell something? What it is?

I've been drawiing and painting, and [thus] thinking of myself as an "artist", since before I started kindergarten. I simply never thought of the word "artist" as a qualitative word. If what one makes isn't terribly good, one may be a "bad" artist--but one is still an "artist"...!
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2012, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member
Chilliwack B.C. Canada

Hails from Canada

My take on this subject goes like this: if you are a mother you cannot be an artist, if you are a neighbour you cannot be an artist and if you are a co-worker you can also not be an artist or so it seems. Thank god I believe myself to be an artist after 20 years of trying and thank god we have this site for the encouragement and to use as a yardstick to judge oneself by. Fay (the artist)
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2012, 11:21 AM

Nature is the art and the artist. Everything else are poor copies and wannabes.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 10:32 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Art is expression and appreciation.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2012, 05:36 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Wow. Listen to us. We humans are so egocentric, we think it's all about us.

wait...

It is

#24   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-21-2012, 11:15 PM
Lord of the Arts

It's very firm and simple with me. I am an artist and painting is what I do. I do not get the agonizing over being called what you are. Don't do agony, just make the best art you're capable of and show it somewhere. Sell it if you want to. Then make more and more.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2012, 01:47 AM
A Local Legend
Glendale, Arizona

Hails from United States

I thought of myself as an "artist" immediately after I sold my first painting, and I've been calling myself an "artist" ever since. Nowadays, I seem to feel relatively comfortable with that.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2012, 08:58 AM

Those two questions are everything that's wrong with art today and if I had a nickel for every time I heard them I'd be rich. Who cares, you know? Obviously art can be pretty much anything - Duchamp made art out of a urinal, Pollock out of drips (I love Pollock btw) the fact of the matter is the ways by which art can be approached are limitless.

But I issue upon you a warning; artwork is a CRAFT regardless of whichever direction you approach it from. By that I mean those who master crafts are those who put forth effort, discipline and thought - not those who meander about aimlessly posing obnoxious statements, or doing obnoxious things concerning their statements.

Chintzy artists are like used car salesman using misleading wording to peddle their products.

Think of it this way: if you saw two gentleman each standing in front of a painting they had made, one was technically successful, conveyed an idea or feeling and showed effort put forth, while another looked like Technicolor mud and its author proclaimed "but how can you say it's not art"? as if to put it on crutches.. who would you respect more?

Crafts take time, discipline and study to be mastered there's no way around it. Don't get caught up in the hoopla.

Last edited by theartofvincent : 06-22-2012 at 09:02 AM.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2012, 03:44 PM
Enthusiast
north by northwest

Hails from England

Its a chicken or egg question
is an artist someone that can paint the ceiling of a cathedral with wondrous scenes or someone chucking buckets of paint over a canvass without any regard or thought to its outcome .....who knows where the two merge and the title of 'Artist' fits .
Perhaps its just a self imposed title for some or a title bestowed upon them by others , I have my own thoughts as to what an artist is , but that's just a personal choice .

Loft

Last edited by loft artist : 06-22-2012 at 03:45 PM. Reason: spelling
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-07-2012, 08:36 AM
Lord of the Arts
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia

If I indulge in the activity of producing visual images of what is in my mind or in my direct vision then, I believe, I am engaged in producingf art. Whether it is "good" art depends on my own assessment or the assessment of others.
If I am regularly producing works which I or others believe is achieving a standard which is well above the average then I believe I may consider myself to be an artist --- until then I am merely one who practises art.
At the moment, I regard myself as an incipient watercolour artist --- sometimes I manage to pull off a good one but too often it doesn't satisfy my intention. But, on average, more are succeeding. The fact that in the last three months I have sold six watercolour paintings may ikndicate that I am producing what others believe to be Art --- note the use of the capital letter ! The fact that I had offered them for sale may indicate that I thought they were examples of Art.
But basically I believe anyone is capable of making art but fewer are capable of producing Art.
Geoff
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-07-2012, 12:43 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

If you're an artist, you're a warrior, it's a war against dreck. So I don't see those who produce dreck as artists, but as anti-artists (perhaps posing as artists... the wolf in sheep's clothing, Duchamp, etc.). Don't worry, your intention makes you what you are.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2012, 04:33 AM
Canada, Toronto

Hails from Canada

These are first questions that newbies always have. Like Mikilangelo (not turtle) said that rock is unique itself, I just need to cut some unnecessary corners. Think about what you like and what you want to paint. All other answers will come in time