WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2007, 05:23 AM
Lord of the Arts

Re: Dangers of oil-painting-fumes:/

Quote:
If you look to bob ross vids, you see all kinds of black/brown spots on Bobs hands.

And??? Plenty of people who have never used paint have brown spots on their hands

Enion your right, i dont have proof. And i may not say something because im not a docter. BUT, Whats the chance that bob ross with a light scin, therefore probebly more sensitive scin (not of an elephant), has spots on his hands and paints. And again its only an observation. I wouldnt take the risk. take your measures. People wearing gloves aint crazy in my opinion.

And bob ross didnt become old. LOL

Enion/tallguy i thank you for your opinions about oderless paint.

Last edited by wetbob : 05-22-2007 at 05:29 AM.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2007, 06:56 AM
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia

The brown spots were most likely liver spots or something similar. One of the downsides of aging.

Bob didn't get me started it oils, but it still annoys me how the two quick Bob style paintings I did get the best comments from friends who have seen them. I consider explaining the meaning of art (or what I consider art) and how they are not good examples, but then hold my tongue. Some of his methods do come in handy with other paintings. I was surprised with all the anti-bob threads in wetcanvas.

So wetbob, where are your latest attempts? Don't be shy.

Jason.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2007, 08:11 AM
Lord of the Arts

I know what you mean tallguy. frustrating that they are the best. My sister makes compliments about one unfinished painting, that it is so nice. When i look at it i must cry for hours. When i paint something that i think is really nice, i dont hear anything from her. I can send in bob ross paintings which are nice. But people here wont appreciate. In fact i dont paint ross style paintings anymore. I dont know why. Maybe im attracted to painting objects that i can. Like cows, lighthouses and van Gogh reproductions:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=419485

One of my latest unfinished paintings. Ill try to send more. I think its hard finishing paintings. But i keep being loyal to my teacher, Bob. Like it should be. Thats why i tend to say something back to people that aint positive about Bob. He filled his pockets with money and everybody knows him in the world, try to achieve that if you know it better. I see many paintings on WC that are Bob Ross like. But i dont mention it. When i start a paintig i often/most use his methods or things that i learned from him. Thnx bob.

The brown spots can often be seen on women that always go to sun labs. Rimpled brown skin with all kinds of spots on them when theyre old.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2007, 08:37 AM
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia

Your backyards painting isn't bad. I missed it in the color theory channel. I cannot help with the color mixing, but Van Gogh had much less blending and the brush strokes are laid down and left alone.

I haven't found a problem finishing paintings even when I know it isn't going to turn out as one I will like. Take the bad ones as practice and paint over them like I do

Jason.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2007, 01:05 PM
Lord of the Arts

Thats what was the most difficult thing to do.
Quote:
and the brush strokes are laid down and left alone
Just making errors and accept it. and leave it. Van Goghs toutch is very fresh! Salut wetbob.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2007, 04:44 PM
A Local Legend
Poitou-Charentes

Hails from France

I think my tolerance for turps gets less all the time. Even being around it for a short period of time leaves me with a bit of a cough and a slightly sore throat - very frustrating! I use as little as possible and always seal up my bottles immediately after use.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 07:26 PM

my situation is a little different I breath thru my neck. There is a hole there
that allows me to take air. They call them Neck Breathers. I wear a soft mask around my neck that covers the hole. This year I went out to oil paint
in a shed which I havent done before. It does have ventillations with two
windows. And i leave the door open. I am still breathing these fumes but
no one has said how toxic are they and what are the actual dangers. I feel really dizzy as I havent opened the two windows yet. I stay out for 4 to
5 hours a day. I know my hair aint gonna fall out or anything but is shortness
of breath is what im really feeling as dangerous. So what are the dangers.
How do they manifest. Is one shortness of breath?
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathustra
I think my tolerance for turps gets less all the time. Even being around it for a short period of time leaves me with a bit of a cough and a slightly sore throat - very frustrating! I use as little as possible and always seal up my bottles immediately after use.
To me, "as little as possible" means "none at all"

Here's one way to go about it:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=749821
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 09:05 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by budhabee
my situation is a little different I breath thru my neck. There is a hole there
that allows me to take air. They call them Neck Breathers. I wear a soft mask around my neck that covers the hole. This year I went out to oil paint
in a shed which I havent done before. It does have ventillations with two
windows. And i leave the door open. I am still breathing these fumes but
no one has said how toxic are they and what are the actual dangers. I feel really dizzy as I havent opened the two windows yet. I stay out for 4 to
5 hours a day. I know my hair aint gonna fall out or anything but is shortness
of breath is what im really feeling as dangerous. So what are the dangers.
How do they manifest. Is one shortness of breath?

If you are using solvents - turpentine, mineral spirits, or odorless mineral spirits - you really need to use proper ventilation. This means the windows need to be opened!

Considering the air you breath is not being filtered in the usual way - through the nose, sinuses, etc - I would discuss the use of solvents with your physician. This is not something to be taken lightly.

Here is a brief rundown on the possible effects of solvents:

Quote:
Turpentine and Substitutes

By Michael McCann, Ph.D., C.I.H.

Turpentine is the classic solvent used by artists in oil painting and for clean-up. There are two basic types of turpentine: gum turpentine, distilled from the sap of pine trees; and wood turpentine, distilled from the pine wood. While wood turpentine is more hazardous than gum turpentine, both types are highly toxic by inhalation and skin absorption. Acute health effects include eye, nose, and throat irritation, narcosis (headaches, dizziness, nausea, confusion, rapid pulse), and at high levels, difficulty in breathing, kidney and bladder damage, convulsions, and possibly death. Chronic health effects include skin irritation and allergies, kidney and bladder damage, and nervous system damage.
I have seen many cases of allergic reactions and several cases of severe kidney damage in artists using turpentine. As a result, I recommend substituting safer solvents for turpentine.

The general turpentine substitute is mineral spirits (paint thinner, turpenoid, Varsol, Stoddard Solvent). Standard mineral spirits can contain about 15-20% aromatic hydrocarbons, giving mineral spirits their distinctive odor. The aromatic hydrocarbons are also the most toxic component. Acute health effects include eye, nose and throat irritation, and at high levels, dizziness, lightheadness, nausea, etc. Chronic health effects include skin irritation (but not allergies), and brain damage from long-term exposure to large amounts. Mineral spirits are not absorbed through the skin. In general, mineral spirits are less toxic than turpentine.

An even safer substitute are odorless (or deodorized) mineral spirits or paint thinner. The more toxic aromatic hydrocarbons have been reduced or removed, hence the milder odor. Since turpentine evaporates more quickly than mineral spirits, hazardous, high concentrations are achieved more quickly with turpentine than with mineral spirits. Turpentine is also more flammable than mineral spirits. Turpentine has a flash point of 95 F, meaning that enough vapors can form at this temperature to catch fire if a source of ignition is present. Mineral spirits, on the other hand, have a flash point over 100 F.
In conclusion, mineral spirits (especially the odorless type) are preferred over turpentine because of lower toxicity, lower volatility, and lower flammability.

Art Hazard News, Volume 11, No. 9, 1988

This article was originally printed for Art Hazard News, © copyright Center for Safety in the Arts 1988. It appears on CAR courtesy of the Health in the Arts Program, University of Illinois at Chicago, who have curated a collection of these articles from their archive which are still relevant to artists today.

As you may be aware, you can paint solvent free. If you search for solvent free oil painting you will get many sites with much advice.

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 11:42 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Ventilation is not an open window let alone a fan. Ventilation is exchanging the volume of air in a room with fresh air from the outside within a given time. This requires proper cross ventilation by having multiple open windows, doors and fans sufficient enough to be able to move the air in and out of a given space. With proper ventilation and proper product use any solvent typically used by artists can be used safely. Just ask OSHA.

Ignorance is a powerful tool against oneself and there are those that know and use it. What would a regular family doctor know if asked about solvents other then to ask, are you following the manufactures warnings. Some will believe manufactures’ marketing / propaganda (Gamblin) to the point of ignoring the product warnings. If you should ever find yourself at a point where you end up in court against a manufacture what defense will you use, that their product has a higher PEL then another solvent therefore it is safer while ignoring all of the product warnings.

Indeed solvents are grossly overused and even misused in oil painting today.