WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2012, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member
Cape Cod, MA USA

Hails from United States
Gamblin Radiant Colors on your plein air palette

Interested in what you guys think about the Gamblin Radiant Colors?

Link

"mixtures of pure color and white, at Value 7 on the Munsell System"

Seems like it may be a nice way to have some values premixed on the palette and thus speed up your painting process when on site.

Has anyone used these? I'm about to experiment with them and thinking of just grabbing a primary set to go along with my regular palette.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2012, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member
Chicago area

Hails from United States
Re: Gamblin Radiant Colors on your plein air palette

I have Radiant Violet - I enjoy using it as a highlight both in flesh tones and in landscapes.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member
Cape Cod, MA USA

Hails from United States

cool - are you just using them straight out the tube or mixing to get your highlights?
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member
Chicago area

Hails from United States

I've used it both ways. Out of the tube and mixed with white. It adds a lot of life to a painting.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2012, 11:42 PM
Enthusiast
Reedsburg, WI

Hails from United States

Hi Chris,
I've used these colors in the past. It is nice to just squeeze out those colors, right out of the tube, they always seem brighter straight from the tube than anything that I can mix!
From what I remember, they are all fairly cool colors, I know the yellow is hansa, and the green and blue is pthalo. The green, for example, ends up being close to pthalo green mixed with white, sort of chalky but brilliant.
Oh, I remember seeing a swatch test with radiant white, where it went yellow...
For landscape painting, I sometimes load my palette with a bunch of convenience colors... I really like what mixtures of Modiglianin Ochre, Emerald green and Kings blue by Senellier do.
Painting is fun, I say get them all! It's refreshing to experiment with new formats and colors, even if it puts the wind into your sails for just one painting, it'd be worth it.
Be sure to let us know how you like them, if you get them!

Kyle
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2012, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Cape Cod, MA USA

Hails from United States

cool thanks for the encouragement Kyle - I'm about to do alot of experimenting with paints, brands and nontoxic mediums and the Gamblins are on sale at the moment.

I've spent a good 2 years messing with different 3-5 color palettes and I'm wanting to add color and experiment and do whatever