WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Florals and Botanical
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2012, 04:25 PM

Hails from United States
My first project share

I recently completed these two botanical pieces as a color study in blending and layering with Copic Marker. I've been striving to create "realistic" botanical works. I am learning and preparing to render in colored pencil, too. Thanks for looking.

The bearded iris is rendered on XPress It Blending Card, Bright white at 8 x 8, the Calla Lily is rendered on an 8 1/2 x 11 and measures approximately 3 x 9. Copic marker with a little npbit of colored pencil detail

Last edited by Charlie's Mum : 05-04-2012 at 08:07 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2012, 07:40 PM
Enthusiast
Alabama

Hails from United States
Re: My first project share

Gorgeous - love the colors & movement, especially the first one.

Michele
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2012, 08:01 PM
Texas

Hails from United States

Lisa, welcome to the Florals and Botanical Forum!! Wow, these are beautiful!! Love the movement of the petals, too! We like to know sizes of your work!

In the May Plant Parade, our Forum challenge, we are trying our hands at Art Noveau married to the Rain Forest's Birds of Paradise! Check it out and see if you would like to join us! We do not reveal until the 25th. Lots of fun!!

Katherine
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2012, 08:25 PM

Hails from United States

Thank you Michele for your kind words. Katherine, sorry I left out the details. I'm learning The bearded iris is rendered on XPress It Blending Card, Bright white at 8 x 8, the Calla Lily is rendered on an 8 1/2 x 11 and measures approximately 3 x 9. Copic marker with a little npbit of colored pencil detail. The XPress It Blending Card paper is an amazing stock to work with for Copic Marker. It's super smooth and allows you to keep the ink wet and move it around a bit for great feather blends and other techniques.

Thank you for the details on the Plant Parade forum. I'm learning so much hopping all over the place.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2012, 02:52 AM
Lord of the Arts
Living the dream on the Riviera

Hails from United Kingdom

Welcome to the forum.

These are both gorgeous, I like the movement you've achieved in both of these. Your colours are remarkable.
I've never heard of Copic markers, are they a felt tip pen?
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2012, 08:10 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Lisa - a warm welcome here - hope you enjoy sharing work and some light-hearted fun too.

These works are superb - I'd say, 'especially with markers', because my experience of the medium is woeful!

Never heard of these markers though or the card ....... wonder if it's available in UK and Europe - hmmmm ...... another medium and another surface for both of us Marion!

Look forward to seeing more of yur botanicals.

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My saa website**
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2012, 08:16 AM
Lord of the Arts
Living the dream on the Riviera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie's Mum
Never heard of these markers though or the card ....... wonder if it's available in UK and Europe - hmmmm ...... another medium and another surface for both of us Marion!

Look forward to seeing more of yur botanicals.

Maureen, I may have to leave home if I buy any more art materials Maybe I can sneak them in through the back door
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2012, 10:44 AM
60mi North of NYC

Hails from United States

Welcome Lisa, these are both stunning. I have heard of these markers and they sound very interesting, especially since you can refill them with the inks they use or get empty markers and mix your own, kind of cool. I haven't tried them personally but still have to think they take some
to get use to using. You obviously use them extremely well!!

Beautiful work..
Elaine

Art is a collaboration between God and the artist, and the less the artist does the better. André Gide Forum Projects: Plant Parade projects in
Florals/Botanicals,
Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2012, 07:21 PM

Hails from United States

Hi everyone, Thank you for the kind words. Copic Markers are an alcohol based marker. They have a large color palette of 358. Highly blendable, the pigment is suspended in ethanol alcohol and releases fully when it contacts the surface. Low to no odor. They are refillable markers with a chisel point on one side and a brush point on the other. Tips can be changed out to a fine point as well. They can also be used for airbrushing. They are an artist favorite for Manga, architectural, product design, general design, etc. I've been working with them for a long time in the graphic design world and I decided to explore rendering botanicals. I enjoy the speed in which I can lay down color and blend. The Blend It card is made in Australia. Marker paper works well too. The copic website is copicmarker.com.

I find that I have a lot of control with these vs. a prisma, tria, or other alcohol marker. They stay very wet and allow for a lot of color movement. I rendered these two pieces in Copic as a color study and practice in realistic botanicals before I tackle them in colored pencil on hot pressed paper. It will take me a lot longer in the CP, but I am looking forward to it

I'm new to Wet Canvas and I love it. Thanks for sharing.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2012, 11:46 PM
Lord of the Arts
hong kong

Hails from Philippines

I love the second one very, very much. What a beautiful flower!

Janet
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 05:17 PM

Hails from United States

Thank you Janet. I just finished admiring your work on your website and blog. Just stunning!
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 07:17 PM
Enthusiast
Kent, UK

Both of these are breathtaking as is your website.
It's not just the colours and materials but a very talented artist here. Wonderful work.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2012, 07:22 PM

Hails from United States

Thank you Margaretta! Your kind words have made my day. I'm working on more to share and have enjoyed this forum so much.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2012, 02:41 AM
Enthusiast
Berlin, the Capital of Germany

Hails from Germany

First of all: Welcome to the forum! I am rather new to it myself but in the few days I've been spending here I learnt that it is a wonderful place to come to. (you will notice that English is not my first language - please excuse me torturing it)
Both of these flowers are wonderful! I love the tenderness of the petals - makes me want to touch them!
I've begun to use copic Markers as well - you can get them all over the world. I get them at my favorite art shop here in Berlin.
I think quite a lot of people would be interested in learning how you did them (including me, I have to admit!). Have you ever thought of doing a tutorial?
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2012, 09:36 AM
Horses make me happy

Hails from Australia

Gorgeous works and impressive blending for a marker.

I have not heard of these markers or the paper before. I think I may just have to check both out. Can you blend further with alcohol after it dries?
Aint nothing illegal til you get caught - Tickle
My RIL Photos Discoveries With Color My Photos