WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > Oil Painting - Hall of Fame
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#106   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 01:49 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States
Re: What's On Your Easel?....May 2012

Thank you, Becca and Paul! It's 9" x 20" on linen, Paul.

#107   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 04:46 PM
London, England

Hails from United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnhouser
Graham, you seem to have good self control with your color - I love paintings that focus on one color and have only a few other subdued, complementary colors. Did you use a very limited palette? As a beginner, I have to use a limited palette just for the sake of harmony, but my colors still tend to be brighter than I want (I love tonalist works, I just can't produce them!)

Hi Heather, thanks for the compliment. My palette isn't particularly limited - on it I have 3 yellows, 4 reds, a green and 2 blues, plus white of course - although I probably only use about half of those colours in most paintings.

What I do find helpful in maintaining harmony is to use one base mix - might be of any colour, perhaps sky or background foliage, something like that - and then try to incorporate that into other mixes as I make them up.

Hope that is of some help!

My website: Graham's paintings
  #108   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 05:02 PM
London, England

Hails from United Kingdom

Untitled work in progress, oil on panel, 20 x 10". From a photo I took in Arizona with my brother-in-law Dan last year; hopefully I'll get some more done to it in the not too distant!

Bit of glare still from the wet paint, but you get the idea I expect
Attached Images

My website: Graham's paintings
  #109   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 05:25 PM
WC! Guide
?????

Hails from United States

Lovely, Graham...You do well with these arch features.
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #110   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2012, 02:59 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Have been very busy lately.

Here are a few recent paintings. Quite small.

5" x 7"

8" x 10"

#111   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2012, 03:34 PM
WC! Guide
?????

Hails from United States

Nora, they are beautiful!!!
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #112   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2012, 04:13 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Wow, Nora! These are incredible, and they're both from life, right? I wish I could paint fast enough to get results like that.

#113   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2012, 05:28 PM
Virginia, US

Hails from Norway

Hi Nora,

I have a question about the top painting of the two - it looks like there are brushstrokes or indentations from a brush going across the colors - from the woman on the left all the way to the right edge of the painting. Does it just look that way from the photo, or... oh, did you paint over another painting?
  #114   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2012, 06:45 PM

Elvis - Fantastic, very atmospheric.

K - I really like it, the handprint on the face, never seen anything like that before, is that traditional? Symbolic?

Been working more on Captain Jack, I like the looseness in the hair but really need more detail, itching to work on him more but the paint is still too wet.
  #115   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2012, 06:54 PM
WC! Guide
?????

Hails from United States

Punk, he does have attitude!
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #116   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toril
Hi Nora,

I have a question about the top painting of the two - it looks like there are brushstrokes or indentations from a brush going across the colors - from the woman on the left all the way to the right edge of the painting. Does it just look that way from the photo, or... oh, did you paint over another painting?

Thanks Becca and Nancy. . Only the woman is from life Nancy, I did the painters from a picture of two do my friends.

Tortil:

You are seeing the gessoed Masonite surface, which I sometimes use to prime my wooden panels. I like to leave the the roughness showing on some of my pieces. The light is hitting the surface just right so you're seeing it a bit more prominently than they are in person. These digital cameras pick up every detail.
  #117   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2012, 12:18 AM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Nora, I wish my digital camera picked up every detail. Every time I post something it looks like I airbrushed it - no strokes at all! I am going to dip into my savings this weeks and get a Canon Power-shot! Cheap as I am, I'm still determined!!!!!!

#118   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2012, 02:09 AM
South Africa, Randburg

Hails from South Africa

Thanks for your replies, Freesail and Becca!

Can't wait to see your painting completed, Graham. Looks great so far.

Nora, you have made your style yours! Love how you leave the brush strokes showing. When I try do this, I can't seem to get it so it is not too distracting. You manage that so well.

punkmuppet, I'd love to see how Captain Jack turn out. I like the background already.

Nancy, go for it! A good camera really does make an artists's life so much easier.

Magda de Lange
  #119   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyMP
Nora, I wish my digital camera picked up every detail. Every time I post something it looks like I airbrushed it - no strokes at all! I am going to dip into my savings this weeks and get a Canon Power-shot! Cheap as I am, I'm still determined!!!!!!

Can't go wrong with a Powershot. I have three Canons and my small Canon point n shoot is just about as good as the other dslrs. Love Canon cameras.
  #120   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2012, 09:55 AM

Nancy,

I really love your use of color and the mood it creates! It is really beautiful.

Happyflower

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyMP
Her face is beginning to look more like Edith. she's still cute, but a little more majestic. The last post I did of her had her right eye rolling out of its socket, which would never do! I still have some color adjustments to make there, but I think I need to get the rest of the figure in, instead of going "windowshade" method!

Here's the next step on "Edith has left the building."

I hope Photobucket worked. Our uploader is saying "ack!"" again...