WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 12:49 AM
South Bucks

Hails from United Kingdom
Angry Really want to rant

But I don't know where to do so
This is the one is about people photographing work, so they can see it at home, and avoid buying ...

I've had two photographers in as many showing days where they could easily afford the work. The last one could have bought me out - well he took it for free.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 04:19 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Portugal
Re: Really want to rant

Do you have any high resolution images on the net so I can print at home ?

Read about it on my Blog
Friendship Is Like Peeing In Your Pants…Everyone Can See It, But Only You Can Feel It.
I'm not lazy because I sleep until late. I just dream alot.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 04:44 AM
South Bucks

Do I have high res images - yes, I paid a fine art photographer to take some images of my pieces (she works with Leonardo and Raphael - they never complained to me about her photos)

I can let you have some limited edition giclee prints, though none of those images were on display - oh, sorry, you were offering to save me the trouble of printing ... so kind

Last edited by Edradour : 05-08-2012 at 04:57 AM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 08:39 AM
Stouffville, Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Wow. That is nasty. Are they all doing that? Could some folks with cameras just be taking snaps to commemorate the experience? The art appreciators equivalent of standing in front of Niagara Falls and having someone snap your photo? I hope that's all they are really doing...not to mention it sounds really tacky to hang a photographed print of painting on a wall.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 09:51 AM
Lord of the Arts
Potsdam, NY

Hails from United States

Perhaps you could come up with a way of showing that makes photography difficult?

So annoying.

This is our ART: useless, boring, impotent, elitist, and very, very beautiful.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 10:05 AM
Western Illinois

Hails from United States

Is it possible to ban photography? Most museums and galleries do that.
Or you could display a copyright statement somewhere.

That is awfully rude.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 10:56 AM
South Bucks

Thanks guys

It's a weekly street exhibition, the art work is on display for sale, along with a lot of other artists. Local rules mean that all the work for sale is original (no cards, no prints – not even hand pulled prints).

Of course, each artist has his - or her - own policy about photographs. Some people have notices saying "No Photographs", and I'm afraid I'm going to have to follow that route, though I don't like being that unwelcoming.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 12:57 PM

Hails from Canada

I once took a photo of a photograph in a kind of outdoor show (it was indoors) in another town. I just wanted to remember the artist. I took a picture of the tag also. I asked him beforehand if I could do it and he said yes and was friendly about it. I somehow didn't feel quite right about it. I liked it. I could have afforded it. But I didn't want to own it. I'm still not sure about it. That said, I love photographing art shows that let me. I get another chance to enjoy the work later on even if it's not the same as being there.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 01:08 PM
South Bucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleu
I asked him beforehand if I could do it and he said yes and was friendly about it.
But you did ask first, and I expect that you would have respected his wishes - and that makes a world of difference.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 01:46 PM
Enthusiast
north by northwest

Hails from England

So without sounding a meanie , if its in a public place then you have only yourself to blame , you would continuously have to police your 'pitch' to stop the 'photo bandits' pinching your work which would make your life tedious in the extreme ! no coffee/restroom breaks or having a look round and networking .

you could put some kind of perspex thing with " Copyrite Robert stuart " written on it , that would spoil a clean photo , something removable if a customer wanted to have a closer look , other than that only show in a gallery that forbids cameras/ photography .

loft
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 05:05 PM
South Bucks

Thank-you loft, but I have little choice if I want to sell my work. I'll be delighted to work with the right gallery when the time comes. Until that happens, or until people flood into my studio, I have to take my work to where people will see it, and may buy - so its the fairs, markets and street exhibitions for now.

Last edited by Edradour : 05-08-2012 at 05:08 PM.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 10:47 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

People now have cell phones with high resolution cameras and most don't ask permission. Happens all the time.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2012, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member
New Jersey, USA

I would consider it flattering, I think. But, I have never sold at a street fair or anywhere, actually. I am almost tempted to ask how one finds out about art street fairs and how to join them. But, as for random photography, I can't imagine such images being made into prints to hang on walls or elsewhere. They are probably being taken in a tourist-like fashion and may be shared on Facebook or Flickr, if even that. If you can afford to do so, I would definitely not hang a No Photographs sign. It will almost certainly turn people off. Maybe hang them at an angle to prevent straight on print-worthy shots. Otherwise, I would roll with it again, if you can afford to do so.
(1) When I like a work and comment on it, I am not doing so to receive feedback on my own work in return. I am just doing it because I like it. (2) Am not that 'serious' person who gets offended when people go off topic on a thread I started. So, say whatever you want! Paul H. Roe here.

http://alwaysmadness.tumblr.com/

Last edited by Jody Schmidt : 05-09-2012 at 09:34 AM.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2012, 10:09 AM
A Local Legend

It is not okay.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2012, 10:16 AM
A Local Legend

okay.....this is just a dream scheme but you could have some fun with the perpetrators. Ask them if you can take their photo and have costumes available you ask them to don. Funny costumes. Use your imagination. Advise them you'll be using said photos for references for your artwork and have an official release form available for them to sign.
Well......it Would be fun....