WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2012, 01:05 AM
Lord of the Arts
McCook, NE

Hails from United States
Re: Monthly Scumble May 2012

Just peachy...I went to get ice cubes earlier this evening for some iced tea and don't 'ya know....everything in my freezer is unthawed! Went up to the manager's apartment....there's nothing she can do until first thing Monday morning. Bruce went to the store and got some dry ice. Hopefully that will keep everything until Monday....or later...who knows. Have to find a new place to live! This manager is not available for anything on weekends. Apparently we have no emergency maintenance and she said nothing's open on the weekends and there are no empty apartments at the moment and no spares of anything. Huh...wonder how other people buy appliances on weekends if nothing's open!! So much for stress free...again.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2012, 01:22 AM
A Local Legend
Arkansas

Hails from England

Bless your heart as if you need anything more to worry about! Hope you can get it sorted soon or you will have to have a cook out!
When our dryer went out a couple of weeks ago no gas dryers were available in store , just electric, and we were told it would take two week to deliver one. We got on line and got one delivered to the door and installed free in two days from Home depot. The very same store which had told us when we showed up as actual people with cash in hand that it would take two weeks!! So you might want to check online!!
Good luck!

C & c's always welcome
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2012, 03:32 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Christine, Jen has a point. Sometimes online companies can respond faster than local area stores, it's a matter of their being set up for rapid delivery if you pay for speed. If you buy your own freezer, don't leave it for the landlord when you move. Those all sound like good reasons to find a new place with better management.

Of course that's something I love about my humble little residential hotel. There's a manager on duty 24/7 - every shift there's someone ready to help if the power goes out or the toilet needs fixing or even a light bulb needs replacing. If this place was a little larger with a kitchen built in, I'd be tempted to make it my forever home. But I'd also be really short on money losing $100 a month in restaurant eating allowance that mostly goes for buying groceries.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2012, 04:27 PM
A Local Legend
Arkansas

Hails from England

Free shipping too!

C & c's always welcome
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2012, 04:34 PM
Lord of the Arts
McCook, NE

Hails from United States

Thanks for the idea! Just ordered a chest freezer online from Walmart. 5.0 cubic feet for $169! Won't be here for a few days, but that's ok. The dry ice is working for now and I almost have ice cubes again, at least! We used to have a chest freezer and eliminated it to downsize for smaller living spaces. But we have the room in the kitchen for it. Just didn't think about it!! Anyway, hopefully future problems solved. Thanks again!!
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2012, 10:23 AM
Lord of the Arts
San Francisco

Hails from United States

There's nothing like having all of your frozen's un-frozen to make you appreciate the small things in life. Sounds like "help" is on the way Christine!

Robert, glad to hear you're going to get some plein air time. You live in one of the most picturesque cities in the world (IMHO). Can't wait to see some of the results!

So I didn't get offered the graphics job, which was disappointing. I wasn't 100% sure I wanted it, but I wanted to be able to turn it down .

Oh well, working on a new painting and combing the classifieds!

Also, got tickets to see Berkeley Rep's production of "Red" on Thursday! I've heard it's fantastic. In fact I'm going with my teacher, Mira, and a friend who's already seen it, but wants to go again. If I love it, you'll start seeing me paint large red canvases. For those of you not familiar, it's about Mark Rothko...and so much more. Won 2010 Tony for best play.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2012, 11:12 AM
A Local Legend
Arkansas

Hails from England

Glad you problems are getting solved Christine. Maybe things will calm down at your house for a while now!
Kris, I am so sorry you didn't get the job, so frustrating. On the plus side it means we get to enjoy, more of your beautiful paintings.
Maybe you could put them online like Robert does. He seems to sell his okay
Perhaps get some advice from him and have a go.

C & c's always welcome
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2012, 11:19 AM
Lord of the Arts
McCook, NE

Hails from United States

Ok, the WC gremlins have moved into my apartment! My freezer is working just fine now and everything is frozen again!! We unplugged the fridge, waited like a minute and plugged it back in. Now it's working. But I still would like a different fridge, since obviously we don't know if it's going to continue to work or not. Hubby's insulin has to stay in the fridge, so can't take chances with that either. But anyway....I have the Twilight Zone theme running through my head...!! lol
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2012, 01:21 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Christine, that's just spooky. I like your idea - if you own your own, you'll be much more likely to be able to trust it. Especially when hubby's survival depends on it.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 03:48 PM
Lord of the Arts
McCook, NE

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsloan2
Christine, that's just spooky. I like your idea - if you own your own, you'll be much more likely to be able to trust it. Especially when hubby's survival depends on it.

New fridge just delivered. Freezer being delivered Thursday! No more gremlins!
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 07:04 PM
Central Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

Christine- Yeah for the new freezer! We've been looking at getting a bigger one, but that isn't going to happen yet. Lee Valley sells freezer alarms if you need one- If the freezer gets too warm an alarm will sound. That's been on my want list for a while. I hope a job shows up for you.

Kris- sorry about the job. Design work can be more gratifying than you might imagine. It's a nice complement to fine art. Maybe something better is on the horizon.

Sounds like everyone has been having a string of bad luck. I'm still in some kind of funk I can't seem to shake.
We've been having a challenging couple months too.
My job is now gone. I miss it more than I expected.
My husband hit a deer with the car, thankfully not a lot of damage and now I have venison in the freezer.
Husband has knee surgery scheduled, he'll be off for 6 weeks (the last time he was off with 2 broken arms, I almost killed him... hoping this goes faster)

We've been getting hit financially from all angles lately, Ooops we forgot to take out your local taxes- you'll have to send them a check. First car in to be inspected- won't pass -need new tires. So we switch for mine to be inspected- need new tires. Tractor tire repairs. Dogs run off (I died a million deaths) Otis comes back limping 200$ for the vet.... Computer problem- call the IT Guy. ETC... I'm ready for the tide to turn.

But it's spring- time for renewal. I finally got a picture of the mountain across from us that shows the incredible colors of spring. It's even prettier in real life. It's all green now, but WOW what a spring!

#27   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 08:30 PM
Lord of the Arts
McCook, NE

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBfarmgirl
Christine- Yeah for the new freezer! We've been looking at getting a bigger one, but that isn't going to happen yet. Lee Valley sells freezer alarms if you need one- If the freezer gets too warm an alarm will sound. That's been on my want list for a while. I hope a job shows up for you.

Kris- sorry about the job. Design work can be more gratifying than you might imagine. It's a nice complement to fine art. Maybe something better is on the horizon.

Sounds like everyone has been having a string of bad luck. I'm still in some kind of funk I can't seem to shake.
We've been having a challenging couple months too.
My job is now gone. I miss it more than I expected.
My husband hit a deer with the car, thankfully not a lot of damage and now I have venison in the freezer.
Husband has knee surgery scheduled, he'll be off for 6 weeks (the last time he was off with 2 broken arms, I almost killed him... hoping this goes faster)

We've been getting hit financially from all angles lately, Ooops we forgot to take out your local taxes- you'll have to send them a check. First car in to be inspected- won't pass -need new tires. So we switch for mine to be inspected- need new tires. Tractor tire repairs. Dogs run off (I died a million deaths) Otis comes back limping 200$ for the vet.... Computer problem- call the IT Guy. ETC... I'm ready for the tide to turn.

But it's spring- time for renewal. I finally got a picture of the mountain across from us that shows the incredible colors of spring. It's even prettier in real life. It's all green now, but WOW what a spring!

OMG! Is there something in the water? Air??!! Thank God we don't own a car right now!! I can't imagine....!! I guess it always gets better before it gets worse again though! Hubby's feeling better, appliances taken care of, the cat is healthy! Hope things get better for you as well! Ain't life grand!
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2012, 07:19 PM
Owen Sound, Ontario

Hails from Canada

hehe, I just did 700$ in repairs on my car, my front suspension went out...and by went out, I mean I completely cracked a ring off the helical spiral - oppsie. Luckily, my dad and little brother can do the fixes (dad is a mechanic, and little brother is in school for mechanic); so I only had to pay for parts, or else it would have been a couple more hundred tacked onto it. Not too bad though, first major fix, and it is a 2003 used car, so I've been overly lucky with it.

Hopefully things start looking up for everyone else. I'm off today and tomorrow, so I'll be studying and then I have a small string of 5 shifts, plus call afterwards - I'm hoping to get called in a couple times to offset the cost of that car fix; just so long as it's not a 3am call...those are hard to get out of bed for, and even harder the next morning at 8 going into work...

My job is done at end of June, it was a temp contract position; but there is a lot of shuffling going around in the hospital corporation, and I'm sure I'll find a new position, on a permanent basis, shortly - I should probably be more concerned but if I learnt anything about looking for a job before - you can stress all you want, but the chips fall where they fall. I sent out resumes, and am keeping on top of listings, not much more I can do about it...maybe I'll get lucky and have a month inbetween this and a newer position...lying on the beach? please!

I had a couple watercolour commissions come in, so I'll be busy with those as well. Unfortunately probably not too much time for pastels in the near future. I also got my sketchbook in from the 2013 Sketchbook project by Arthouse Coop...so excited to get started on that!
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2012, 03:48 PM
Owen Sound, Ontario

Hails from Canada

...so in regards to the chips falling as they may with the job search:

I got an interview for next week

Part time, but nothing in health care employment in Ontario is full time these days from the start; unless they're desperate...saves them money in paying out benefits
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2012, 04:07 PM
Central Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

Angie- Nice have a mechanic or two in the family. (and a plumber, electrician....) Still an expensive car repair.
Congratulations on the interview!

My husband's car is rough, the deer damage isn't the worst of it, so we're not fixing anything cosmetic. He is hoping to get at least another year out of it before we need to look for another.