WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Animal and Wildlife Subjects
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 03:38 AM
WC! Guide
near Auvers sur Oise

Hails from France
Re: Sleeping Wolves

Thanks for taking time to do it Gary If I understand right the first glaze has no colour and is to to mke the other layers blend more easily?
Robert

Robert loves arts animals and CATS...
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 08:12 AM
WC! Guide
Germany

Hails from Germany

Thanks for sharing the technique Gary. I find it fascinating and very effective with the oils. I suppose one could use open acrylics for this method but not sure. This is coming along beautifully.

My Blog/WIP's and Tips: Chammi's Art Escapades
My website: chammi-kaiser.de
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 03:30 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United Kingdom

Adore this composition and ref material. Wish I'd thought of it first, lol. Looking forward to more. Kat

www.katdavies.com
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2012, 04:41 AM
Lord of the Arts
Cardiff, Wales UK

Hails from Wales

Yes Robert, the first glaze wets a dry surface to reduce the drag on the brush to allow for a finer line of fur. The idea is to first lay your basic colours down let them dry then do several layers of under painting in the glaze technique to build up more under detail that are not mudded up within the colours you blend. Then I do a final layer of fur with very little blending to have sharp looking fur lines to finish. See the Malamute I just finish.
There is more one can be manipulated this way. If you put a dot of paint on a dry surface and blend in one direction you will have a short probably coarse line but if you did this on a semi wet surface you’ll have a long smooth line. If you blend with a curve action you’ll have a slight turn to your fur.
Depending on how much paint your brush lays on will allow less or more fur action.
Also when your have a semi dry area, you can a raw colour and blend then add the furring of a different colour which picks up hints of this raw colour before you blend out.

Thanks Chammi: A similar method with acrylics is I use a mist spray and wipe dry with a larger brush and then add furring. It dries really quickly so you have to work quickly.

Thanks Kat, glad you like the made up comp.

Painting fun
Gary

Paint what you see, see what you feel, feel what you see and never doubt yourself.
Remember mistakes are just steps towards good images. Me, myself & I
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2012, 09:26 AM
I live for the most in Yankalilla a gorgeous seaside town about an hour from Adelaide South Australia

Hails from Australia

an absolutely brilliant demonstration thankyou so much for sharing I always underpaint but will try the smudging affect next time
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2012, 06:13 AM
Lord of the Arts
Cardiff, Wales UK

Hails from Wales

Jacky, many thanks for your very nice kind comments, I plan to do a simple portrait of a wolf so others my follow this easy technique.

On this up date, I’ve added some snow melting effect to the top right wall of snow with blue & brown greys. The detail was uneven circular motion with some hard and light blending with some white added to show as un-melted snow.

I’ve also added the top furring to the back sleeping wolf, all that’s left with her is the highlights and darks. This top furring is done by adding the fur lines and lightly blending in the body end of that fur line.

Painting fun
Gary

Paint what you see, see what you feel, feel what you see and never doubt yourself.
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-14-2012, 04:17 AM
a Russian living in England

Hails from United Kingdom

aRt4us, I love it incredibly!! Huge thanks for the stages! It helps a lot!
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-14-2012, 10:06 PM
Lord of the Arts
Rockville Maryland

Hails from United States

Gary I have not looked in on this for a while. It's coming along nice ! I know your enjoying this it's showing. Only thing I see and I know you know it , you need to make the front wolf pop.
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2012, 04:54 AM
Lord of the Arts
Cardiff, Wales UK

Hails from Wales

Many thanks Galina, glad your injoying the process.
Yes Dave your right about the front wolf, his colours will pop out when he has his next stage of furring detail.

Painting fun
Gary

#55   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2012, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Canada

Excellent thread! It is a rare treat to get this kind of detail along with explainations and replies to queries. What a great job. It is nice also to be able to get good subject matter from outside our various areas. I have a few pictures posted and have many more I intend to post, mostly wildlife; black bears, moose, grizzlies, many close-ups of eagles, owls, and local ducks and geese. Lots of detailed backgrounds through the various seasons as well to post. Any preferrences? I ask that because it will take time to find and post them all. Thanks again for taking the time!

Jon C.
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2012, 03:51 PM
Lord of the Arts
Cardiff, Wales UK

Hails from Wales

Thanks Jon C. I believe sharing is a must for goodness to prevail over non-goodness, there many WC talents who have shared their skills here, which has greatly helped me to progress forward with my talent. Any wildlife photo would be just fantastic; my opportunity to get out and about to wild life parks is reduced due to my wife disability. In order I would say Grizzlies, Eagles, Black Bears, Owls and the rest.
Many thank again Jon C.

Painting joy
Gary

#57   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2012, 05:19 PM
UK

Hails from Northern Ireland

Gary, this is brilliant and thanks for sharing your blending technique for the fur.

brenda
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2012, 04:43 PM
Lord of the Arts
Wales, UK

Hails from Wales

looking great Gary, nice demo too only thing that is grabbing my eye is the cross shape top right, not sure if you are aware of it.
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2012, 06:36 PM
Lord of the Arts
Cardiff, Wales UK

Hails from Wales

Many thank Brenda for your kind comments.
Thanks Jason, yes it is an eye catcher in the wrong place I fully agree. It was part of the under snow paint and I knew I would be over painting it with more snow melting detail which I have already painted, greatly reducing the eye catching affect. I had some other issues to deal with too as Dave rightly pointed out about the front Wolf’s shape needing to pop out a bit, which now is starting to look good with the next layer of furring going on.
Hopefully a good photo update tomorrow will show these improvements.

Painting fun
Gary

#60   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2012, 09:14 PM
Lord of the Arts

Amazing Gary. I admire how you've achieved the "ruffled" parts of the fur, that's always a challenge for me!
Paige