WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Figure, The
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2012, 03:39 PM
Enthusiast
Wellington

Hails from New Zealand
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: **~LD- after much time * its hard to keep goin~

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethanyt
You do know that your "worst" drawings are still more skillful than most "best" from the rest of us!!

Couldn't have said it better myself!
The last one has two wonderful drawings on it.

Jonathan.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2012, 06:12 PM
Lord of the Arts
London

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: **~LD- after much time * its hard to keep goin~

I like those last three or so... Another session and you will be flying... Until you crash... Then fly again then a nose dive get up, fly a bit.... Wham... Ouch! Who would be an artist eh?
Rob
Blog: http://www.treeshark.com/treeblog
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2012, 08:49 PM
A Local Legend
Arizona

Hails from United States

Trevors-- you are kind and I am greatful to share this world with you-- keep up your watercolor's.

I'll try to stop beating myself up. But it really is because I have such high standards. That I am never there, so it may go on for my lifetime UUGGHHH !! I just need to settle down and relax-- well maybe not-- but to get back to work at it.

I apreciate you and also your work.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2012, 08:55 PM
A Local Legend
Arizona

Hails from United States

Jonathan--

I am humbled by these words, and truly dont feel I fit the bill.

But thnak you ever so much for the kindness shown and encouregment !

Rob--

LOL !!!!!!!!!!

I cant tell you how much you made me laugh here.. You did say it in a nutsehll. what we artist's go thru.... and that just the half of it all.

well-- I feel deeply-- in a serious way here-
That in heavens spiritual relm -- it must- and will be so wonderful for all the artist's souls singing along-- as we all are really the same and know one another souls.

Thank you , I look up to you and your work.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 03:31 AM
WC! Guide
near Auvers sur Oise

Hails from France

They re all very good and inpirational Carol thanks for sharing
Robert

Robert loves arts animals and CATS...
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 03:50 AM
south coast Australia

Hails from Australia

Carol- I had a thought when you replied to Sir K.
Are you standing at an easel? Have you set up so that you just can look at the model and then easily turn your eye to the paper- without having to move your body and head? Are you working sight-sized?
I also have worked in a very small space and with little room. I do work sight-sized and struggle to get smaller.
I set up (I am right-handed and I stand) so the easel is on my right- the model on my left. then I don't have to move much- just a slight move of the head to glance at the paper and back to the model.
Just a thought- it may be that you have solved these issues already...

#22   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 08:29 AM
Lord of the Arts
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia

Hey ! do you remember KISS --- Keep It Simple, Stupid.
I agree that you should tackle one thing at a time. Just as an example (say, a back view)---
Look at and take your eyes down the left side; now draw from the shoulder and down to the elbow and up to the armpit; come down the side of the body and define the hip; then into the left side of the upper leg, knee and lower leg. Pause. Deep breath. Look carefuuly at the shape made between the legs --- the "negative space". Draw that space. Now treat the right side in the same fashion.
Now that is maybe not the ultimate advice on how to draw the figure but it just gives you an idea of how to simplify your approach and then you can develop from there to as far as you wish. It is only a small recovery period that you seem to need. Make haste slowly. Take your sketchbook with you --- there will be lots of 3 minute subjects around!
Enjoy!
Geoff
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 12:16 PM
A Local Legend
Arizona

Hails from United States

Hey Robert-

You are very kind and also an artist yourself in your own right-- and I am of many thanfulness for your support of me.

Beth-

You sweet lady and great artist-

Lets see if I can get down whats in my mind. Yes I take a lightweight portable easel, Ive worked out a little droor devider thing- that I have hooks on that hangs from the easel tray, so it can hold the materials I happen to be working with - ect- conte- pencil. such There is NO ROOM for any table or nothing.

The space is half of a double garage with a 4 ft x4ft stand in middle. between this stand for model and the wall is about maybe 4 ft, it is very cramped. I also right handed so-- yes I try my best to set up so that I look just to my left ( at the model and back to my pape)r. This doesnt always work out as I might end up having to look sideways to the model.

And I fight drawing small ( prone to seeing in lareger size but just use my eyes for measuring. Its just that My ideal is to have the model much further away from me. ( I dont even like to paint portraits with model right upon me. I seem to see the whole image better at a little distance.But we can't always have the ideal.

Well it seems Im making all kinds of excuses here, and really I dont want to do that. Everyone here has been so kind to me and shown their friendship .
I think it juts boils down to do it- do it - doit. But will be leaving in couple weeks.

Ill try to get down the road some before then.I really think I just need to go back and cunstruct, construct.

well Thank you for being that support freind, and keep up your wonderful art girl.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 12:23 PM
A Local Legend
Arizona

Hails from United States

Goeff--

Wow!!
I surely thank you for all your time and input. It seems Ive caused a some waves here-- over all my whining !

I get what your saying--- and to me it reminds me of contour drawing a lot. That in itself is a good practice-- and to also try to draw that line wthout looking is good practice.

Really-- I just need to go and show up and draw. It has been a VERY long time since ive participated in LD. I love paintg process and primarily portaits so I end up there, HOWEVER this has suffered for it all.

But I will truly try to follow all the advice on here and stay simple--- construct-- or gesture- or shapes/shadows. ect. I'll try me best.

Thank you very much
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 01:02 PM
WC! Guide
Modesto, CA.

Hails from United States

some very nice work here.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 01:03 PM
WC! Guide
Modesto, CA.

Hails from United States

there is a lot to like in these drawings.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 08:29 PM
A Local Legend
Arizona

Hails from United States

Thanks Jack-- I hope I give you the same encouregemnet as you deserve it also.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2012, 04:16 AM
south coast Australia

Hails from Australia

Now I am wondering how you can do some ld on the road? Ipad? laptop? or if you are on a budget- some kind of photo print-outs so that you can keep the hand-eye practice ticking over until you can get back to the real thing? some books with master nudes for you to copy? you could even set a timer to get the speed practice done...
see I am thinking of you and wanting you to keep on going... all the best to you!

#29   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2012, 11:42 AM
A Local Legend
Arizona

Hails from United States
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: **~LD- after much time * its hard to keep goin~

Beth lady,

I do have an Ipad--- got it while in CAsey Baughs workshop. Used it to photo the model-- then turn it into greyscale, back and forth.

Casey does this and also uses it to find his placement.

Of course we know you cant photo the nude model.

I tried using it once while on the trip afterward, and I pretty much suck at it. Have no practice in it.

here is a quik skecth I tried to do in the hotel we stayed.Of course we know the people moved away soon.

Do you know of how I could get images of nude figures on the ipad to draw from?

I've ony twice tried to do this sketching with the ipad, now this is another learning curve.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2012, 12:23 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

Looks great Carol , looks like you have it under control , I'm slack I don't use my iPad much , gave it to my son ... There's some great sketch art apps you can download just do a search in apps and it should bring them up !

Maybe I get it back :-)