WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > Palette Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 12:24 AM
Enthusiast
California

Hails from United States
Re: Am I alone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drollaeem
In some ways just having hobbies is an indulgence, but it keeps us sane and reasonable so that makes it necessary. Otherwise we'd be frothy at the mouth, and bad neighbors, and hate puppies, and all of that.

This pretty much says it for me. And if you have nice things while keeping a generous, friendly nature and don't become overly attached to nice things, people will know that you have your priorities in a healthy place.

To me, buying a Craig Young palette would be like buying a work of art (except that you can put your paint in it). Nobody really needs to buy art to survive. But art really is necessary.
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member
Toronto

Hails from Canada

I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would take offence to your instructor's comment. I think it a cute joke, and see no backhand to it in the least.

Sounds like s/he was complimenting your choice of supplies. Nothing more, nothing less. Someone indicates they're jealous of something of mine, how could I possibly be offended?
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 08:33 AM
Enthusiast
Miami,FL

Hails from United States
Post Re: Am I alone?

Tred,

From the mouth of a great man:
"Care about what other people think and you will always be their prisoner.”
- Lao Tzu

Bob
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2012, 10:52 PM
New York

Hails from United States

I think it's important for me as an artist to have beautiful, well-designed and very well made things around me when I paint. For example, I could use an empty jar from the supermarket to hold water in my studio, but I look for the most beautiful container I can find. I don't want to make a distinction between the paintings I hang on the wall and the other things I have around me. Expense does not track linearly with these qualities. A beautiful rock, an interesting feather, things like that compete with Craig Young palettes.

Richard
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2012, 04:24 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr113
For example, I could use an empty jar from the supermarket to hold water in my studio, but I look for the most beautiful container I can find.

Richard
Raspberry jam jar and Prego spaghetti sauce!! I'm working my way through a gigantic jar of salsa right now so I can get a bigger jar for my second container.

#36   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2012, 05:01 AM
A WC! Legend
Australia

No-one should justify their art supplies.

I don't consider anyone luckier than others.

If we are not happy with the supplies we have, then it is our choice to rectify that.

It is not the supplies that makes the artist, it is the person behind the tools, and their passion for making art.

Happy painting!

Cheers

Blog
~ Location Sketches ~
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2012, 06:59 AM
Enthusiast
UK

Hails from United Kingdom

To complete the list of watercolour "indulgences" (I call them "essentials" if one is serious about painting in this tricky medium) and since you are in Australia why don't you get hand made Blue Lake R20 Double-sided Paper?

Its surface texture is nothing like any other I have tried and even the late Zoltan Szabo was impressed with it when I showed it to him years gone by.

They have different papers, e.g. limestone, warm white, grey mist. They also produce or used to produce a blue tinted watercolour paper.

"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance."
"I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance."
Socrates.
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2012, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member
Nr Bath, United Kingdom

Hails from United Kingdom

Don't let the ****** get you down Tred although from what I know of you I don't think there's much chance of that .

If you can afford it why not? Of course it is a bit of an indulgence buying
top of the range Kolinskys, Craig Young palettes and hand made paper (I don't buy hand made paper -well I have bought some -), especially by less talented people like myself .

In my case, as my wife constantly tells me, I go overboard on my hobbies but fortunately I don't have too many. Books are my other thing and I love owning them. If some idiot can afford to pay $74 million for `The Scream' then what we art fanatics spend is a drop in the ocean, even less so.

What some may not understand - like books - one of the pleasures is owning them and this applies to Craig Young palettes. Any fool knows it doesn't make you a better artist . Yes, I know it's tough on those whose financial situation prevents them from doing so and one upmanship is to be avoided at all costs. After all the only thing that matters is the paintings that result. You only have to look at some (many) of these third world and asian artists who produce fabulous artwork with, in many cases, the most basic of materials. Look how much money can be spent on golf, photography, drinking, smoking and a host of other things. My only indulgences are art and books, nothing else, apart from cheap lunchtime offers for`seniors' . Keep on painting and if necessary change your tutor.

Peter

"The Watercolour Log"
www.watercolourfanatic.blogspot.com/
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2012, 01:14 AM
Enthusiast

Ah...Kolinsky brushes...dream come true for me! While quality supplies won't make you the next well known artist necessisarily, they certainly never hurt the effort!

Pam
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2012, 03:36 AM
Alameda, Ca

If it works for you then you shouldn't worry about what the other say.
I am sure you are not alone , we all want the best of the best, but personally talking, I have to say by experience that the "best" brands or the "finest" products not always work by themselves .... I love pastels... I got the whole collection of sennelier and couple hundreds of unison (quite expensive stuff) but few months ago I found myself doing about 80% of my work with nupastels from prismacolor which are relative inexpensive.... the combination of finest and not-so-fine worked for me... I also work with synthetic brushes for the first layers of my oils and use expensive kolinsiky brushes for details..... not because I want to save money but because mixing brands and certain quality of products give me good results.
just a white paper and an inexpensive charcoal stick can do amazing works of art in the right hands.
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2012, 05:40 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Australia

Hi Tred

I am new to art, (less than a year) started with sketching, then moved on to Coloured Pencils, have now also thrown in Pastels,have inks standing by, expermented with crayon, and am taking WC classes.

I recently bought the top of the range, rolls royce of of coloured pencils. I did the same with watercolour pencils....and on it goes. I stopped drinking, and when I did, art took over (a good thing). Like another said, not into shoes or handbags. So I spend a lot of time researching the best art materials, books, DVDs etc. Like you, I eat, breath & sleep art, and anything that takes me away from it, I resent!
I don't always buy top of the range stuff, the most expensive or best quality--I do do my research--which is part of the fun, but I usually wind up buying good stuff. The only reason I do not buy Kolinsky Sables is because of animal welfare issues. However, if that were not a problem, then I would buy them (am happy with my synthetics, though).

Now, although I spent close to $300 AUD on a coloured pencil set, I spent over $500 on ONE lens for my camera--and anyone serious about their photography has more than one lens! As others have pointed out, the cost of other hobbies/interests can be parallel.

Why feel guilty because you don't think are 'good enough' to use the top stuff? It probably adds a psychological boost. We are also warned to not scrimp and buy cheap or student grade paints, and to test brushes, and this also applies to coloured pencils, pastels...I could go on. So using good quality stuff, if expensive, is likely to make your paintings better anyway.
However if like me you sometimes think that you should be spending some of this money on something else-because you already have a ton of gear- then maybe that's something you need to look at.

Enjoy your passion/obsession.
cheers
Donna
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2012, 11:51 AM
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia

Thanks for all the replies to this thread.
I didn't take my instructors comments as anything other than a general comment as she is a nice talented person. I really wanted to know if there were others who are self indulgent when it comes to their art.
Char mentioned a list of hobbies that other people spend money on and I did feel guilty when I realised that photography -5 camera bodies and 13 lens's, fishing - 12 rods and 43 reels (well; I was a fishing journalist) and woodworking tools -over 40 years I have built up a large collection of infill woodworking planes. In comparison the money I spend on my art is miniscule. The camera gear is 35mm and never used. The fishing gear is used on a fortnightly basis, the planes are now considered an investment as I'm too busy with my art to practice woodwork. Oh the 5 ukulele's are used regularly.
I am enjoying retirement and given my life over again I wouldn't change a thing. My long suffering wife of 52 years is understanding but, at present is asking why I need 3, ten inch, reel to reel recorders set up in the stereo rack in the lounge. They are to record my vinyl records - how many - don't ask !!!
All this has nothing to do with art but I have to own up that I am indulgent and it's comforting to know that I am not alone!
Cheers
Tred
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumkin54
Raspberry jam jar and Prego spaghetti sauce!! I'm working my way through a gigantic jar of salsa right now so I can get a bigger jar for my second container.

I favour jam and sauce jars too, and have just made myself a brush container from a Lindt chocolate tin and acoustic foam. My family were very keen to help me with that one!
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-14-2012, 01:17 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tred
All this has nothing to do with art but I have to own up that I am indulgent and it's comforting to know that I am not alone!
Cheers
Tred

This is why I mentioned that if something deep down is niggling at you, perhaps suggesting you pull back on owning so much stuff (top of the range or junk), then it might be worth listening to that voice. There is nothing wrong with owning, as someone mentioned here, the pleasure is often in the owning-beautiful, inspiring, well-crafted things. The problem is when they own us.
Addicts often look for like-minded people to justify their behaviour if they sense something's a bit obsessive, addictive or not in line with their core values. And that's the key point, here, I think. Is your behaviour in line with your core values, or is some part starting to conflict? This is not something you need to answer publicly, but to take time within yourself to reflect upon.

Very often the desire for 'more' is trying to meet another need, or is an attempt to reduce anxiety. This is what compulsive shopping is about. Finding other people who do the same thing may not be satisfactory, as they may well be very comfortable with their behaviour, and it does not conflict with their core values. I could buy 10 pencils and think it too much. Another may buy 100, and to them, this is enough. It's relative and subjective. The fact that you raised it suggests, but by no means indicts you, that a part of you is possibly not completely at ease with your need for more--your wife's comments might be part of it, as is your revealing other areas of your life where you seem to have a lot of stuff. Again, it's not wrong--it's only wrong if it's constricting you, taking up space, you don't know how much/what you have or where it is, you never use any of it, you are always on the look out for the next thing that will "make" you, or give you peace, confidence, skill or fulfilment that you believe you need.

Quality art supplies--whether you have, or don't have talent (in your biased view), is not wrong, or an issue. It's great--if you enjoy what you have, and love using them, and get a little thrill every time you pick up that brush or palette or whatever. It's an issue if, no sooner have you bought the next 'new' thing, then you need another new brush because then, only then, will you be 'good enough' as an artist--that new brush is what you need to become the person you aspire to be. It's very subtle the way this happens, and we can always, always justify spending to ourselves, if we want something badly enough.

anyway, this is not a judgment or critcism, only that some of what you said suggests that there may be more to this for you, and that a part of you is not entirely comfortable with the situation.
hope this helps
cheers

Donna
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-14-2012, 06:59 AM
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia

Donna,
Addict and compulsive buyer - I don't think so. Nothing deep down is niggling me neither do I hear voices.
I have spent the best part of my 73, years (seventeen of them in the Royal Navy where hobbies were difficult) buying and selling items to do with my hobbies, usually swapping one for another. I used to shoot - not native Aussies but pommie imports, pigs, foxes and rabbits but sold my guns and bought guitars. Not through any misguided sense of animal liberation (I paint with kolinsky brushes and shave with a badger hair brush) but the logistics of travelling out west a couple of times a year was indulgent. Once playing a six stringed instrument became difficult, through arthritis, sold the guitars and bought ukes. Four strings are easier than six!
I might add that by purchasing high end products they more than keep their value.
I started watercolour some 15 years ago, purchased the necessary equipment and a lot of books but couldn't continue due to work commitments. Now retired I'm back into it again and have purchased quality gear to augment my initial watercolour equipment.
I now purchase paint, paper and and anything that will make life easier in my efforts to be a competent watercolourist.
I have to go now and compulsively purchase a tripod Butler and the new Jake Winkle book. I must remember to make an appointment with my psychologist tomorrow because this thread has, in no way, helped with my problem.
Cheers
Tred