WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Illustration
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2012, 11:41 AM
Chesapeake Bay

Hails from United States
illustrations for investing blog

Hi, Everybody!

This is the first thread I've started on the Illustration Forum.

These are some illustrations that I've done for a blog which I am in the process of creating: http://machoinvesting.blogspot.com/

This blog is a spoof on the investing world.

C&C always welcome. I won't even flinch if somebody posts the ultimate negative criticism: "Why are you trying to illustrate this blog? It works better without illustrations."

Many thanks for your help.

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-07-2012, 10:34 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States
Re: illustrations for investing blog

I think the expression of the first one best conveys a "spoof on the investing world". A kind of sarcastic smile. The last one is nice for the color, but the smile is too ... sincere.

And kudos for creating your own illustrations for your blog. Too often blogs rip off artist's work that they find on the web because they think it should be "free" and that the artist should be grateful for the "exposure". *sigh*
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-12-2012, 10:36 AM
Chesapeake Bay

Hails from United States

Hi, LittleBear,

Thank you for your very astute comments. Drawing this character is still a WIP for me, and, you're right, the last illustration is a bit weak.

BTW, I took a look at the scientific illustrations on your website. Extremely impressive! I encourage everybody to take a look.

Thanks again!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-12-2012, 11:15 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Thank you! I know nothing of investing so I can't comment on your blog, I'm afraid. But I look forward to seeing more of your drawings!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-13-2012, 01:14 AM
WC! Guide
Chattanooga, TN

Hails from United States

i don't know anything 'bout investing either, can barely pay the bills, nothing left over...

Don't know why you chose those hats and that bowtie, but in my mind I feel it works. It has a bit of an oddity to it, perfect for illustrations.

No time to look at the blog now, but will later when i have more time.

Thanx 4 posting these, Greg
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2012, 11:24 AM
Chesapeake Bay

Hails from United States

Hi, Greg,

Many thanks for your kind words. Hope I can live up to all these compliments!

Please check out the blog when you get a few minutes. I think you'll enjoy it.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-16-2012, 03:53 AM
Cork, Ireland

Hails from Spain

Hi ibisbill,

I like the style you are going for your illustrations, and agree with the comments above, I think you got a good facial expression in the first illustration. I'm really bad at drawing faces and expressions myself (that's why I avoid doing it as much as I can!) so I think you are doing a very nice job and they enhance the overall look of your blog. Looking forward to seeing more of them.

I visited your blog and enjoyed your entries. They are funny, yet sarcastic and critical, a very good read, I hope it goes well!

Antonio
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2012, 10:44 AM
Chesapeake Bay

Hails from United States

Hi, Antonio,

I really appreciate your comments and your support. Thank you very much!

One book that I've found extremely useful (and literally eye-opening) is the "Artist's Guide to Facial Expressions" by Gary Faigin. Faigin teaches you things like, for example, how to draw the slant of an eye-brow so that it conveys either (1) anger, or (2) fear, or (3) boredom.

It is mind-boggling how sensitive our eyes are to facial expressions. For example, you can add tiny little shadows under the cheeks, and -- like magic --- your character looks happier (because cheeks tend to puff out when the person is smiling). It really is almost magical.

Thanks very much again!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-23-2012, 05:58 AM
Cork, Ireland

Hails from Spain

Hey ibisbill, thanks for the book recommendation, I will definitely check it out, as facial expressions is on my list of things to learn properly. And you nailed your comments about how easy, and at the same time who difficult is to get an expression right (or wrong). Just a small line changed and you can go from one mood to another...also just bad proportions can a face look stiff, not natural...it is almost magical indeed

How's your blog doing? I went to visit it but didn't see any new entries. Did you do any new illustrations for it?

Antonio