WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Abstract and Contemporary Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2012, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member
Tennessee

Hails from United States
New work in progress. Need your comments

I started playing with this and thought I would get everyone's opinion. Is there anything there that I'm not seeing, or whatever

Would really appreciate your thoughts, ideas, etc.
thanks.

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2012, 04:39 PM
Long Island, NY

Hails from United States
Re: New work in progress. Need your comments

Colors are ok. Maybe add some texture as you build the painting out. Composition has COI dead center and thats usually not a good thing. Chuck
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2012, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member
Tennessee

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptunesHeat
Colors are ok. Maybe add some texture as you build the painting out. Composition has COI dead center and thats usually not a good thing. Chuck

Thanks for the comment. I really appreciate it! Ok, I will try the texture thing and see what I can come up with. Remember, I'm self taught,so what does COI mean? I'm guessing "center of..." something, but I'm not sure.

I think I understand... the focal point of the work should not be dead center. Is that right? If so, I understand, and I have learned something.

thanks again, Neptune

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2012, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member
Tennessee

Hails from United States

Hi Neptune,

I worked on it a while and I did what I "think" you said. I can also make the center darker if you think it would help. The texture on the very outside is from a tube I got today. I don't usually buy "premix" tubes, but this one was the most beautiful pink. I had to have it

Let me know if this is any better...

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2012, 10:23 PM
Veteran Member
Tennessee

Hails from United States

Chuck,

One more thing. I will be careful from now on to NOT make the center of the canvas the main focal point. Like I said, I've learned something and now that I know, it makes perfect sense.

thanks,
jumper

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2012, 11:04 PM
Long Island, NY

Hails from United States

I like the texture change, which adds more interest and makes the viewer want to be more engaged with the painting. But I am no expert, and am mostly self taught myself.

COI is center of interest, and there are a few diagrams that can help you plan where to put a COI, and how to lead into it in a painting. I think something like a portrait is different, so if your abstract was more to a portrait type of feel to it then a centered COI would not be bad.

Since you are self taught, make sure you go to your local library and see what you can find regarding painting, drawing, and books on composition, and technique. Books on past masters are great too.

Chuck
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2012, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member
Tennessee

Hails from United States

Thanks for the help. Now I know what COI means And thanks about the texture idea. I think it makes it look better too. The reason that the background was so flat was that on one of my earlier paintings, someone mentioned that my background was too busy. So I was just trying to see what happened when I made the background so flat.

I'm going to look for the diagrams on COI. It will be interesting to see what it has to show.

I'm going to lay this painting aside for a bit, because I've started something new and want to see where it takes me. Then I will come back to this painting with new eyes and try to make it turn around somehow.

I really appreciate the help. Being self taught and not having much work behind me, I can use all the help I can get You're a good soul Chuck. Can't thank you enough.

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2012, 12:29 PM
A Local Legend
Edmonton, where summer is just a couple of bad weeks of skating.

Hails from Canada

There are so many "rules" to composition that it is really worth some time in either a visual design course or books on the subject. My favourite book on the subject is by Henry Rankin Poore. While he focuses on composition in representational art, it can all be applied to the abstract as well.

Chuck gives a good suggestion regarding avoiding your primary focal point dead centre. Some of the other "rules" that I find useful are:
-Use as much of a full range of values in your painting as you can, darkest dark to lightest light.
-In your primary focal point, set your darkest dark next to your lightest light.
-Use complimentary colours to pull focus to your focal point(s)
-Avoid perfect balances (50%/50%): dark to light, cool to warm, neutral to saturated, textured to untextured, and centered focal points (vertical or horizontal)
-Ensure there is a path through your painting that draws the viewer around the composition, rather than leading their eye out of the painting.
-Unify with colours that appear in all areas of the painting.
-Use repetition of elements, but ensure that there is variation in those repeated elements so that they aren't boring.
-Split your painting into 9 sections (3x3) and ensure that each of the 9 boxes are interesting in their own right

But keep in mind that no art, abstract or representational, has to follow all or even most of the rules to be effective. Sometimes a painting that breaks all of the rules is incredibly compelling. Following all the rules can lead to a formulaic painting too and there is nothing more dead than a predictably boring painting. So figure out what the "rules" do for you and then start consciously choosing to follow and break them in every work.

Have fun too!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2012, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member
Tennessee

Hails from United States

Thanks Rick, I appreciate the comments. I purposely refrained from leaning "the rules". I thought it would make me more creative, plus give me a chance to have my own style. But I guess knowing the basics is something I should look into. I've been "trying" to do things "my way", but it seems that most other artist don't seem to like what I've been doing (with some exceptions). Between you and Chuck, I should be able to get some basics down and start fresh again.

The "rules" you put down are a big help. I think I have been doing almost everything backwards, lol. I'm working on a piece right now, but I'm going to take some time and do some reading before I finish it.

Thanks a bunch for your help and pointing in a direction. Thanks to you too, Chuck.

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2012, 09:16 PM
A Local Legend
Edmonton, where summer is just a couple of bad weeks of skating.

Hails from Canada

Please don't assume that a lack of comments means people think your work isn't good. These forums are intended to be supportive, and I think most of us recognize that everyone is on their own path at their own pace. Sometimes it just means they don't know what to say.

It is always easier if someone's work blows you away to provide a kudo comment. And when you are beginning it is hard to blow away other artists with your skill, obviously.

I posted these composition suggestions because I remember how much studying these things helped my own art. And I don't think you've been doing everything backwards at all.

For example, you've got a dominantly warm composition; you are creating depth by overlapping your shapes; you've got a primarily mid-value painting with some darks and lights; and you are varying your repeated shapes. And that is all by intuition. Keep exploring!
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2012, 06:19 AM
Veteran Member
Tennessee

Hails from United States

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the things you said. I "was" wondering why no one would comment on some of my paintings, and that led me to believe that they were not good enough, or something like that. And I certainly understand that most people here are above my talent range, but I also know that if you want to get better at something, do it with the people who are the best at it.

I do have faith in myself, because I'm not going to quit. Painting is something I love and I'm getting better at it pretty quick actually. You should see some of my paintings that I did NOT post, lol

I'm re-working the painting in this thread and right now, I like it way more than before. When I get a chance, I will post the current state of the re-working so you can see the big change in the piece.

Once again, Thank you so much for saying what you did about people commenting on my posts. Now, I'm going to be thankful for whatever comments I get, but don't worry whether I get them or not. This has been a big help to me. And again I thank you.

jumper

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2012, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member
Tennessee

Hails from United States
Re: New work in progress. (updated)

Ok. I have used the same painting and changed a lot of things. I don't know if I like them or not. The top left has been toned down by using a light yellow blend. I changed the top right to be darker and changed the color interaction to be, at least, better than it was before.

I put flowers in this basically because I just didn't know what to do, lol. Overall this is not the style that I want, but I believe that I have learned more about colors (with one or two exceptions in the piece). One exception is the "pink" color for the flower stems. I "thought" that it might look neat, but I don't think it is dark enough to get the right "feel". What do you think?

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptunesHeat
Composition has COI dead center and thats usually not a good thing. Chuck

Or, alternatively, it is a good thing. If all other rules of traditional painting are "take them or leave them", why cleave to this one?
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 11:51 AM

jumper
don't forget that rules are made to be broken
be they set in stone or ink or paint
basically don't set the centre as your focus and all else follows
sorry but the first looked like an exploding pizza...

while the second was going places...
and nice texture

Last edited by maxattack : 05-08-2012 at 11:55 AM.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member
Tennessee

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxattack
jumper
don't forget that rules are made to be broken
be they set in stone or ink or paint
basically don't set the centre as your focus and all else follows
sorry but the first looked like an exploding pizza...

while the second was going places...
and nice texture

I have to laugh... you're right, it DID look like a pizza. And I agree with you, rules are meant to be broken. I intentionally try to make things "clash" sometimes. I'm trying to get the viewer to first go, "what the heck is that?" and then be drawn into the piece.

I'm not great at that yet, but it's something I strive for, not to mention the wonderful help I get here at WC has helped me tremendously.