WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2012, 07:27 PM

Door in Sunshine

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Door in Sunshine
Year Created:
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 10x15
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Door and planters from a reference book.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Would like some input on brushwork and blending, specifically in reference to shadow.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2012, 07:37 AM
A Local Legend
Hill Country, Texas, y'all

Hails from United States
Re: Door in Sunshine

Nice composition and I notice only that you've made a small error in drafting the door. It seems to tilt to the left a bit. Otherwise, doesn't the painting look wispy and unfinished? Well, that's the problem: it's an underpainting now, it just need more layers. Notice that the red flowers are single "smudges" and the green around them one thin layer. The branches are a single thin layer of brown. The door has some nuance in different blue hues which is good but the darks are just black lines. You did ask about shadow treatment and you've handled that well IMO as you haven't made it dark/black which is the most common error. OK, so I argue you need more layers. Here's a illustration.

See how the artist has created a fuller look just because he's kept at it. There's nice balance between the hedge, which is gesturally treated and the door which gets more detail. This artist probably had an underpainting like yours and added more nuance and rubbed out some lines with a scrubber brush.
If you're an insane master, you can end up with a watercolor like this.

It sold for $260,000. The vast, vast majority of us artists will never approach work like this, especially with watercolor, but it's nice to see how far an expert can take it.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2012, 10:07 AM

So going forward, could you suggest 3 things to work on in this painting?

I think the tilt is a function of handed-ness hahaha
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2012, 10:16 PM
Enthusiast
Adelaide Hills

Hails from Australia

Find another door, do another painting
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2012, 10:19 PM
Veteran Member

I would add more detail and depth, as in tgs's example.

tgs: Who is the painter of the door along the waterway? tia
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2012, 06:52 AM
Enthusiast
Sydney

Hails from Australia

i think you could play with your work, even use it for trying different effects. I know it's difficult to change watercolour, but it can be done to a certain extent.I would build it up as suggested with more detail in the flowers, add more interest to the door with shadows but not using black, try to straighten the door even if you need to hide it somewhat with vines or something to do so. If it were mine, i would add some vines hanging down a bit from the top, not have it so neatly outlined, i would not have the roundness of the shrub on the left, i would add more variation in colour, shadow and detail in some of the stone wall and I would change the doorknob from being exactly the same as the door. I would do something a little more with the plant pots to make them more interesting and perhaps not have the bottom of the door so close to the floor.... perhaps a little shadow under the door would work??? These are just my personal opinions, others may not be in agreement. it is a lovely underpainting and could be developed into a beautiful country cottage type scene. The colours and the idea are delightful. I would keep working on it if it were mine. Cheers. Debs. =))
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2012, 06:53 AM
Enthusiast
Sydney

Hails from Australia

p.s. Go for it, you have nothing to lose!!!! =))

Last edited by Debzy : 05-07-2012 at 06:54 AM. Reason: double post.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2012, 03:00 PM
Enthusiast
Boynton Beach, Fl. 33437

Hails from United States

I'm not a water color paintier, but I'm sure that you can get more body into the paints. You have a good wash to start. Now build it up with some paint on your brush to bring out contrast and form. Give it a try. You can always do another.

Boynton Beach, Fl.FONT='Tahoma','sans-serif']http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2008834&id=1336767036&l=a57d27ae4c[/font]
/
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2012, 05:06 PM

1) my biggest complaint is you lost track of your source of light. Your door is strongly lit from the right, but the bush is lit from the left.
2) put more thickness in the bricks around the door. The wall looks really thin.
3) build up your dark colors in layers of complementary colors. This is best done on good quality watercolor paper and a lot of patience.

you said three things, so I will stop there.