WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Figure, The
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2012, 09:52 AM
Enthusiast
Kentucky

Hails from United States
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Make your mark!

I have noticed that mark making has not been addressed much or considered very much as a visual element. So I did this little quickie demo to start a dialogue about it. Using a basic pose made up out of my head I have varied my mark making and also head position which has also caught my attention as to body language, note how it changes the meaning.

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2012, 04:51 PM
A Local Legend
Arizona

Hails from United States
Re: Make your mark!

nice thanks for sharing this one.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2012, 05:45 PM
Texas

Hails from United States

Having first become aware of this term after you used it in another thread, and after having done some online research, I find myself at a loss to understand how this differs from 'style' or 'technique'.

I realize each of these terms may have precise individual descriptions but it is the difference in concept that confuses me. Obviously an image of a given subject matter that is realistically rendered will convey a different 'mood' or 'meaning' than the exact same subject matter that is rendered in an abstract or impressionistic way or that is created using a different medium.

What is the significant difference that I am missing?

Lee
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2012, 06:52 PM
Enthusiast
Kentucky

Hails from United States

Lee
Mark making would be a set with line making as a subset, a continuous mark. Brush work is a subset also. All formal elements are abstract properties that are used as artistic language. Mark making is a primary one it can be simple or complex. The brush you used in your photo manipulations are mark making the line quality of your edge in the figure even though based on photography are marks. Marks can be used for texture, line, shading, symbols, words, in color painting pointillist-impressionist used them to help the eye mix colors at a distance. Emotion and character is expressed thru marks all these figures read as figures the more traditional ones are just as abstract. They just fall into a commonly used language that artist use. Mark making can be used for a different style, You can use different mark making in drawing of similar style. It is primary, primordial but it can be put into service in many complex ways it has a great deal of potential for those that will but give it consideration. I hope this will give you more food for thought. There maybe confusion about this that is great work it out. Half the fun is in the exploration, the Aha! the links that come at the strangest times. Play with it. You are already, you're just are not aware of it.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2012, 08:52 PM
Texas

Hails from United States

I appear to be a bit slow on the uptake about this concept - or at least about how it affects the individual artist. From what I read online and from what you have written, I get the basic premise that mark making is probably a very early attempt by humans to communicate a thought or a mood or information visually. I grasp the fact that mark making is a fundamental approach that uses very simple building blocks to construct almost any complex concept. By extension, I can understand that the written language is just a codified and standardized assemblage of specialized marks. Following this train of thought then even spoken languages or music can be considered as nothing more than codified and standard assemblages of specialized audio marks.

In digital art of any sort - the way I see it - the basic mark is a little square pixel, each with its own individual and adjustable properties of brightness, color, intensity, clarity etc.. Everything else falls into (as you state) subsets which are derived from unique combinations of these little squares. Straight and curved lines, textures, shadowing, highlighting, etc. The juxtaposition of these pixels can be smudged, softened, sharpened, blended, etc, but no matter how much you try, you cannot get away from this fact. The best you can do is to just make some squares that are smaller until you get to the single pixel level.

At this time, I feel like the entire concept of mark marking is in fact so fundamental to creating any form of art that it is in many ways almost a moot concept. By the fundamental act of scratching in the dirt with a stick or picking up a paint brush, or drawing pencil, or computer mouse, and creating something that never existed before; one is already immersed in the creative use of mark making. In other words, is there any form of art where mark making is absent?

Lee

Last edited by LeZart : 05-06-2012 at 09:08 PM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2012, 09:17 PM
A Local Legend
San Diego, California

Hails from India

Hi Mike, good stuff. I have always found it difficult to detach myself from the shapes in front of me and instead concentrate on "the what" in front of me. The what being, what is going on, what is the mood, the body language, the expression, the dialogue, the connection etc. It is very hard to get in that mindset, so it was eye-opening to see this experiment of yours. Thanks for sharing.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2012, 12:37 AM
Enthusiast
Kentucky

Hails from United States
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: Make your mark!

Mark making can become words-letters, that is one out come. People have been analyzing handwriting for years, it does not matter what the subject matter is a trained eye will see what the writer has revealed about themselves through their mark making. People that design fonts do so to communicate some qualities like stability or looseness or simplicity or casualness and more. Line quality, an extended mark can do the same and more it has flow, rhythm, suggest tension, relaxation, weight, energy,volume, light and shade, edge type,character,etc. Yes it can be a pixel or dot, photos are just a collection of dots but it can be much more. If one studies pen and ink drawings of the past, different artist used many different hatching patterns to render structure, texture, light and shade. they are very inventive and each has his or hers own solution to these. Considering the very small footprint of a pen nib it is wonderful to see such mastery of mark making in a limited medium. Conte stick by contrast has so much more variety of line width and texture, yet does not have the range of expression in art done that pen & ink has. Maybe because it is not used as extensively as pen & ink was. Even today inkers are not as well versed as inkers of the past. I am talking visual mark making as opposed to music mark making as I have little I can say about that. I will do some more demo sketched to elaborate visually what I am talking about. The idea of head position as part of body language is very similar to what mark making can do. I will try to demo that more too.

Last edited by mburrell : 05-07-2012 at 12:41 AM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2012, 11:03 PM
Texas

Hails from United States

I am still more than a little confused about mark making, but I have little doubt that the following images are valid demonstrations of what is being referred to:
Image 1 - a close up look at the mark making
Image 2 - the complete image
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-16-2012, 08:03 PM
Enthusiast
Kentucky

Hails from United States

Yes this is an example of digital mark making resulting in a value, texture study.
It is using topographical contours to do this. My figure on the far right uses cross contour lines to express form and rhythms. the results are very different.
I will work-up some sketch-drawings to discuss the organic line as opposed to the considered line. If some one has ideas about these please jump in.
Mike
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-16-2012, 08:39 PM
Alameda, Ca

Marks are probably the most important part in my drawings.

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2012, 12:25 AM
WC! Guide
Chattanooga, TN

Hails from United States

this is proving to be an intriguing discussion.

I also seemed to limit my understanding this term to refer to the beautiful work shown by tintero. Never considered digital to be included. hmmmmm I'll have to keep reading, always open to new ideas.

thanx so much for starting this thread.

life is good

greg