WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Figure, The
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2012, 12:07 AM
kirants kirants is offline
A Local Legend
San Diego, California
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,500
 
Hails from India
Re: Putting my toe in the water

Hi Lee, welcome to the figure forum! I am just a student of life and don't know much about art stuff. I strongly believe that art is in the eye of the beholder, one of the reasons I tend to title my posts here studies , because it is essentially what am doing. Whether it is a piece of art or piece of crap, I leave it to the viewers. No offense taken. I think folks that say what you posted is not art are just voicing their personal opinion, so am not surprised. I don't believe anyone has any personal gripe with you as such, just aren't tickled too much by what they see.

Having said that, I do like what you are doing. An exploration of the self, interpreting, trying to portray in multitudes of ways, am sure makes you think about yourself, your connection with the world/nature/the spiritual etc in as strong a way as I feel when am trying to draw someone(thing), be it from a 3 dimensional object in front of me, a 2 dimensional photo reference or a master original. Hence, am of the opinion that your work fits this forum well, as it is surely a celebration of the human figure. But, it is up to the moderators to decide ultimately.

I do love the Hoop 6 one. It kind of has a pentagram feel to it. The tension in the musculature is well captured. Am also intrigued by the first image in your second set. The top image has a bulged belly, which I could look at as perhaps a beer belly, or perhaps a state of pregnancy ??? Does raise some questions.

Anyways, long story short. Am not an art person, so am not good at interpreting and evaluating work, but am just trying to figure out what could be lurking beneath the surface of it. It would be interesting to hear stories behind some of the works.
__________________
- Kiran [ Latest work: The Great Big Lollipop - A children's illustration book ]
Reply With Quote
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2012, 01:11 AM
LeZart's Avatar
LeZart LeZart is offline
Senior Member
Texas
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 389
 
Hails from United States
Re: Putting my toe in the water

Hi Kirants. I appreciate the welcome and the input.

The double image 'bulging belly' posting you referred to was presented as a one time example of the extent of my manipulations. It was posted as a comparison between an actual photo before and after manipulations. Look at the image a little closer and you will see changes other than just the loss of the belly. I went out on a limb by posting it. At the age of 67, I am not particularly happy about the way my actual body looks. I have my share of wrinkles, crinkles, age spots, sags and bulges - the bulging belly being the most obvious, lol. This entire experiment with creating manipulated nude male images was never a planned endeavor. It is the result of unconnected threads coming together. It started with a photo I took to see the before and after results of a medical procedure on a part of my body not even viewable to me in a mirror. The resulting image was not flattering. Seeing yourself naked in a photo is not the same as seeing yourself naked in a mirror, lol. The next piece of the puzzle was added as I began learning what was available in the way of digital editing programs and experimentation with the various tools such programs offered. Vanity played the next part in the story. Once I began to see some of the possibilities of digital editing, I had to see if I could do a full body digital makeover on myself. I worked at finding ways to digitally undo what age had done. The next thing you know, I am posting manipulated naked images of myself online and calling it art, lol. Very few of my images have a meaning behind them beyond my attempts to create visually interesting and unique works at as high a quality as I can.

Lee
Reply With Quote
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2012, 11:22 PM
ArtistOz's Avatar
ArtistOz ArtistOz is offline
A Local Legend
Australia
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,565
 
Hails from Australia
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: Putting my toe in the water

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevors
Its photography and digital manipulation and it doesn't belong on this forum !
Strange reaction Trevor seeing as how the figure forum is subject specific and not media specific.

Lee I would say keep exploring what you want, learn as much as you can about your craft ignore the squabble of what is or isn't art it has been going on for centuries.

Marcel Duchamp showed art could be about ideas as much as anything else and he wrote a defense about the Fountain, a urinal he placed in an avant-garde exhibition that was not ready for him or his ideas surprising considering it was a show about avant-garde art. “Whether Mr. Mutt with his own hands made the fountain or not has no importance. He CHOSE it. He took an ordinary article of life, placed it so that its useful significance disappeared under the new title and point of view — created a new thought for that object.”

Duchamp took ordinary things he called readymades and displaced them from their original and ordinary contexts and they became art, you can see them in Museums and art galleries.

For me art is taking an idea and making it visible something you are doing, one day someone will come along and take an idea and make it invisible then my life as an art critic will be redundant.

I like the figures in the first two images but feel the compositions need more thought think more about composition and design about how you organize the elements in the picture. Ideas, mediums, tools and ways you organize them are all important to the end result.

You may only have an audience of one, so what, its about the work not about you. Once it goes into the public domain all we have is the work not the reference. You can't control other peoples responses, the worst thing that can happen is to have views and no responses, keep working if the idea is good you will find a way to make the work good, even art.
__________________
Bill,
"Classically speaking, the nude does not refer to a person. Its not a portrait its a design." Kenneth Clark
http://www.flickr.com/photos/artistoz/
Reply With Quote
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2012, 03:48 AM
dgford's Avatar
dgford dgford is offline
Lord of the Arts
Sydney, Australia
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,121
 
Hails from Australia
Re: Putting my toe in the water

Lee. You have done a wonderful thing. Instead of just getting "pats on the back" you have stimulated controversy and comment, dialogue and dichotomy, opinions and attitudes, discussion and argujments. But that is what a "forum" should be --- an interaction of perceptions.

Yes, "The Figure" is the place for your work but beware of the path of narcissism --- Rembrandt and Van Gogh gave us warts and all. If some parts of you are somewhat large... OK, that's you, the model so allow truth / integrity now and then . If other parts have shrunk a little there should be no compelling need to magnify them.

I still believe that you are not an artist until you get away from just rearranging 2D images ready-given --- for example, you didn't even put a bit of original adaptation of the bench seat. You merely used it as a cut-out. Whilst you predominate in that sort of "artistic"(?) activity you are failing, in my opinion, in your quest to be an artist.

As you may see, we are are a divergent lot but we all cherish the opportunity that WetCanvas gives us to interact with friends from across the globe --- without rancour.

Geoff
__________________
Success is a Journey
Reply With Quote
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2012, 05:41 AM
ArtistOz's Avatar
ArtistOz ArtistOz is offline
A Local Legend
Australia
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,565
 
Hails from Australia
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: Putting my toe in the water

Geoff you seem to have missed, lost, ignored or forgotten Modern Art and its artists by your defining in your two posts the idea of 3D into 2D as only legitimate art practice and manipulation as a non art practice. You seem to ignore or dismiss all the processes lee went through before he got to the manipulation part of his process.

So you would say the photorealists of the 1970's who copied photographs are not artists because their subject matter was a flat piece of paper? And all the artists who learned their skill in copying 2D drawings into 2D drawings and all the artists who copied works they admired are not artists?

And Mattise's cutouts what of them? The art of the abstract expressionists? So many artists, modern and contemporary fall foul of your beliefs isn't it about time you reviewed them?

I thought experimenting and exploring ideas was at the heart of being an artist?

Don't worry Lee you may not be an artist but at least you have the heart of one thats a good start.
__________________
Bill,
"Classically speaking, the nude does not refer to a person. Its not a portrait its a design." Kenneth Clark
http://www.flickr.com/photos/artistoz/
Reply With Quote
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2012, 09:10 AM
dgford's Avatar
dgford dgford is offline
Lord of the Arts
Sydney, Australia
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,121
 
Hails from Australia
Re: Putting my toe in the water

Let's get some facts straight here. Those who copied photographs were still interpeting their sources and were using their drawing / painting skills in that interpretation. They were not just making a cut-out of the original and pasting it as their own work.

And to introduce the concept of the cutouts of Matisse as a point of argument is a complete furphy! His drawing, originating and placement of his own interpretive cut-outs were not just putting a "scissors" to original photographs. Copying from other artists has always been a powerful means of learning --- study the the life of Modigliani and be empowered by how his copying produced his wondereful personal style. But he didn't just carve up photographs.

In my 89 years, my life has been of constant reviewal and renewa.l I have personal and, in some cases, very strong guiding principles. They keep me experimenting and venturing into new areas -- and not only in art.

As I said at the beginning, I want the facts of my beliefs kept straight.

Geoff
__________________
Success is a Journey
Reply With Quote
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2012, 02:05 PM
LeZart's Avatar
LeZart LeZart is offline
Senior Member
Texas
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 389
 
Hails from United States
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: Putting my toe in the water

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtistOz
“…the worst thing that can happen is to have views and no responses…”

I could not agree more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtistOz
“I like the figures in the first two images but feel the compositions need more thought think more about composition and design about how you organize the elements in the picture.”

Regrettably, I am confused about which images you are referring to. I have confused myself by posting too many images at one time without better nomenclature. Would you please clarify which images you are referring to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgford

“I still believe that you are not an artist until you get away from just rearranging 2D images ready-given --- for example, you didn't even put a bit of original adaptation of the bench seat…”

I agree that the “bench image” you are referring to, has very little original adaptation beyond reshaping/resurfacing of the original photo figure. But that reshaping/resurfacing process is a major part of my creations. I took what was and changed it into what never was. Sometimes the results have been more realistic than at other times and that is why I posted a number of examples of the various styles my work demonstrates. I am including two more as comparisons and a third as an example of artistic expression, lol.

The first – entitled “Modesty” is an attempt to do a body reshaping that is as realistic as possible without any evidence of manipulation. I venture to say that if I successfully accomplished my task, almost no one would consider “Modesty” to be anything other than a straightforward basic nude figure photo but it definitely is manipulated. The second – entitled “Crouched” is an attempt at a quite unrealistic manipulation. In this example I would be quite surprised if viewers looked at it as if it were a photo at all. The last one - newly entitled - "Cornered - The artist under attack", is included as an artistic emotional statement, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgford

“Those who copied photographs were still interpeting their sources and were using their drawing / painting skills in that interpretation. They were not just making a cut-out of the original and pasting it as their own work.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtistOz

“You seem to ignore or dismiss all the processes lee went through before he got to the manipulation part of his process.”

ArtistOz realizes I do not just turn on my computer and find an image waiting for me to manipulate it, lol. I have to actually take a photo. That means I make decisions about the pose, the focus, the lighting, the shutter speeds and aperture settings, the composition, the lighting etc., and no one is looking thru the lens when the shutter clicks. No one is there to say – turn your leg another way, lift your head, hey, there’s a bad shadow on your arm and so forth. It is akin to what a life figure artist would face if they were also their model.

After having taken a photo that seemed useable I then get to do the fun part. I get to use my creativity to determine the mood, or message or just visual style I want to experiment with. The photo then becomes a sort of armature – a framework to build upon. Granted it is a pretty complex framework but it does not encompass the total effort. It is just another tool in the entire creation process. I venture to say that my creations are entirely based on my own work – from concept thru completion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgford

“…beware of the path of narcissism…”

Well you got me there, lol. I am aware of the narcissistic element of my imagery and I do get a vicarious kick out of my virtual reality exhibitionism. I like using the tools available that allow me to create these virtual realities. I get quite a bit of satisfaction, not just from the physical process itself but also from the creative experiments of expressing various emotions in such a visual and not restrictive way. In all honesty though, I have no desire to show warts and all, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtistOz

“Don't worry Lee you may not be an artist but at least you have the heart of one thats a good start.”

Well a good start is better than no start at all, lol.

Lee
Attached Images
   
Reply With Quote
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2012, 07:46 PM
ArtistOz's Avatar
ArtistOz ArtistOz is offline
A Local Legend
Australia
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,565
 
Hails from Australia
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: Putting my toe in the water

Geoff I am curious as to why you say Lee is not an artist just because he doesn't make his work according to your theories of art making and I am trying to understand what those theories are.

Lee I will come back to your questions later I am busy at the moment.
__________________
Bill,
"Classically speaking, the nude does not refer to a person. Its not a portrait its a design." Kenneth Clark
http://www.flickr.com/photos/artistoz/
Reply With Quote
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2012, 09:38 AM
dgford's Avatar
dgford dgford is offline
Lord of the Arts
Sydney, Australia
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,121
 
Hails from Australia
Re: Putting my toe in the water

Bill, I am just as curious as to why you say Lee is an artist just because he makes his work according to your theories of art making.

I now retire from this discourse beause most must be becoming more than bored with two Aussies being thick skulled.

Geoff
__________________
Success is a Journey
Reply With Quote
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2012, 10:33 AM
mburrell's Avatar
mburrell mburrell is offline
Enthusiast
Kentucky
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,243
 
Hails from United States
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: Putting my toe in the water

I work with traditional art mediums and digital mediums also. You are working with all the formal visual elements that all artist have to address in some form. I find many things of visual interest in these. I have filed them into my 'of interest section' of my mind.
The one with the blue background has more potential. The black is a little stark, the rays to the left works well the rays behind the figure and to the right seem to lack energy. I would consider using your figure as the center (or source) of the radial energy. It would not have to have angles symmetrical just maybe going off to the right. The great thing with digital work is it very do-able to make revisions, it allows one to learn what the 'what if' does. Many artist grid or project there images. I have done both. Using a Grid to transfer an image is a mechanical process I often add stuff to grid images like over all form lines or highlights style of edge same with projecting. Taking photos one makes many decisions as to focal length, f-stops, point of view, light source, saturation,etc. all of which have corresponding visual art components.
Whether these images are art is a waist of time to discuss (they are) what is important is to discuss them as if they are. If that means you need to pretend he drew them then do so. There is a great deal of things to learn or discuss here. Figure -ground, figure opposed or integrated to geometric shapes, his figure with the circle referencing Leonardo's drawing of man's proportions which Lee has reshaped himself into his own vision of man's portions, This raises issues of body image. He has explored mark making which many, many people here have not address very well, you can see the power of it here. He has play with saturation of colors. He has used shadows to suggest motion. Whew! Wake up learn! This guy has moved into the digital field you don't have to move to it yourself, but one would be foolish not to use it to learn visually. This raises the issue of new technology and it's use as a learning tool(s) and as a medium its self. I have visited other online sites where I see sketches my some that are weak, but their digital work is much stronger. They work and rework until it comes together, is this a good way for them to learn. Yes, no, maybe.
Well, I for one am glad you posted here. I'm coming up on sixty shortly so thanks for revealing that you're not built like a rock LOL (I was so impressed that you were in such great shape then you pulled back the curtain, made me smile. The person on the inside is often different from our exterior.
Mike
__________________
My personal portfolio site:

Last edited by mburrell : 05-06-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2012, 01:11 PM
vmrs's Avatar
vmrs vmrs is online now
Moderator
Western Illinois
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 10,828
 
Hails from United States
Re: Putting my toe in the water

Well said Mike.
These are very strong images. Hope to see more.
__________________
Virginia ~ The Purple Dog Painting Blog and The Purple Dog on Facebook
Encourage a fellow Artist! Please welcome new members here.
WetCanvas FAQ's How to post an Image Miniature Forum Fantasy/Sci-Fi Art Forum
Reply With Quote
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2012, 03:45 PM
LeZart's Avatar
LeZart LeZart is offline
Senior Member
Texas
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 389
 
Hails from United States
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: Putting my toe in the water

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgford
“I now retire from this discourse beause most must be becoming more than bored with two Aussies being thick skulled.”

I regret this decision. Your remarks about art have been civil even though (to me) they do seem a bit condescending, inexplicable close minded and maybe even a little defensive; but you did take the time to state your justifications and not just say - go away, lol. My experience with artists has been that they are pretty open to art in general and not so territorial. I had suspected my postings might cause some controversy because of my style and/or my subject matter but I never expected to be chastised for calling my creations 'art'.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mburrell
“…what is important is to discuss them as if they are. If that means you need to pretend he drew them then do so.”

I don't live in the heart of the "American Bible Belt" but I can see the Buckle from here, lol. None of my nude images have been seen by anyone I know. I have posted some of them at other on-line sites but have been totally dismayed by the results. At some sites I got a steady but small number of views and no comments while at other sites I got way too many - overtly gay personal comments - and nothing about the quality of the work at all. I am straight and although I am not homophobic - too much is too much - and nothing is still nothing, lol.

My entire purpose of joining this site was to hopefully get some thoughtful critiques on my images. I have not tried to pass off my work as anything other than what it is. Without any previous knowledge, I am positive some of my work could be accepted as straight non-manipulated photography while other images could be accepted as digital copies of pen/pencil/paint creations on paper or canvas. They are actually neither. They are conscious decisions about how to express emotional content, form, composition, balance, movement, harmony, aesthetics, subject matter, etc. into a visual creation based on the use of both photography and digital tools.

I am acutely aware that I face compositional challenges when the majority of my images involve a single figure against an often-nondescript or black background. I attempt to add compositional elements to some of the works through the use of body movement and some simple props on occasion or by creating colors and/or contrasting light and shadow effects with some textures in the background, but I do not see many options beyond that.

I know a lot of my creations show ‘in your face’ nudity. I know I am potentially testing the patience of viewers by having multiple images of a single ‘model’ or offending others because of my approach to the subject matter. I try to overcome some of these issues by varying the "styles" as much as possible but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I most definitely am willing to have my work critiqued, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburrell
“The great thing with digital work is it very do-able to make revisions, it allows one to learn what the ‘what if' does.”

This statement zeros in on one of the most appealing aspects (to me) of digital art. It is indeed very user friendly because of this simple fact. As a pencil and paper “wanna-be artist”, I found that I was actually spending more time using the erasure than using the pencil. I was not born with any innate artistic abilities. Every artistic endeavor I ever pursued was fraught with indecision, doubts, do-overs, and frustration. Although I managed (through sheer persistence) to find some satisfaction from a few self-proclaimed successes, the vast majority of my attempts went into the trashcan. One can only erase paper a limited number of times before you have rendered it useless or give up due to sheer frustration. Besides, all those little rubber erasure bits that are generated create quite a mess, lol. With digital art tools, I can undo anything with a simple click of the mouse and revert to the point where I started going astray. I admit I do use this instant undo feature a lot, but at least I do not generate all those little rubber flecks nor wear a whole in my paper, lol. I also feel free to experiment more because of this “undo” aspect of digital work. My creativity is no longer hostage to my fears of messing up something I spent hours working on. I think that this is an invaluable aid to any “wanna-be artist” and probably even to some established artists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburrell
“He has explored mark making which many, many people here have not address very well.”

Being unfamiliar with what “mark making” means, I did some online research but sad to say, although I do understand the gist of what it refers to, I do not understand the full significance of this term nor even what specific aspects of my work demonstrate this concept. Mark making (as I now understand it) seems to be an inherent, self evident and essential element of all human visually created communication mediums. Obviously, scratches on a rock or carvings into a piece of wood (to convey a thought or emotion) are the results of such a concept. The written language itself is (by extension) must also be a structured form of mark making. Heck, even audible forms of communication could be construed to be comprised of audio mark making. Could you elaborate a bit more on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburrell
“…thanks for revealing that you're not built like a rock LOL (I was so impressed that you were in such great shape then you pulled back the curtain, made me smile.”

I had some 2nd thoughts about having posted the image you referred to because of a couple of reasons:

1 - Although my images do portray quite explicit full male nudity, I can emotionally separate myself from them to a large degree because the final images do not expose ME, and with online anonymity comes a certain amount of protection - but that image does expose ME, warts and all!
2 - That image (though posted to hopefully clarify a point) seemed to create a bit of confusion in some who did not understand its purpose. A few seem to think it was just another example of my work. I had exposed more than I felt comfortable with in order to demonstrate a point but it appeared to be a useless demonstration.

However, because of your comment, I now feel a bit better about having posted it. Someone did get the point. I do however doubt that this personal exposure will be repeated, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Bruce

“ I imagine that holding a exhibition of your work when you yourself are the sole model could make you feel a little awkward at the opening reception….”

More than a little, lol. Images to the contrary, I doubt I have the b**ls to do such a thing.

PS: - I would be remiss and ungrateful if I did not publicly say thank you to those who have offered welcomes and/or positive re-enforcement for my efforts and some appreciation for my creations. I do sincerely thank you .

Lee

Last edited by LeZart : 05-06-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2012, 11:22 PM
LeZart's Avatar
LeZart LeZart is offline
Senior Member
Texas
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 389
 
Hails from United States
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: Putting my toe in the water

May I have your attention please - Due to the abrupt stoppage of replies after such a robust beginning, it appears as if one of four things has happened to this thread:

1. (hopefully the most 'least likely' reason of all) - I have somehow offended everyone, lol.

2. (the next 'least likely' reason) - Everyone has been confused by the start of the last comment I posted prior to this one and they have quit responding because they think I have withdrawn from the thread and therefore have essentially closed it . Such is not the case! I can conceive that such a misunderstanding may have occurred because I started that posting with a quote from dgford - which referred to the fact that HE was withdrawing from the thread. I thought that using a basic text format for identifying that this was a quote would be easily understood. In fact, I did such 'quotes' from others throughout the entire post and I did it this way because I could not figure out how to use the 'quote tool' or how to change the font color successfully. I know of at least one instance where this misunderstanding actually happened. Upon looking back at the post, I can see how a quick glance could account for such a misunderstanding.

3. (a 'more likely' reason but a worse case scenario) - The thread has run it's course. People who were inclined to post replies, said what they wanted to say and have moved on to newer interests. Such is often the case in life - one day you are alert and active, then the next day you are DEAD.

4. ( the 'most likely' reason) - I am worried for no reason and I just need more patience, lol. I am savvy enough to understand that visitors to this site and forum and thread, have lives of their own that are totally unconnected to my ramblings or images. If they decide to continue - they will when they want to; and if they are bored with it - they have moved on. I suspect that if I just take a deep breath and quit being anxious, all will settle out. New people will take a look and some of them may feel interested enough to add to the conversation and even some people who have moved on, will decide to jump back in.

So if you thought the thread had been abandoned by the person who started it (ME) then you have been misled. I would love to hear some more. It was both interesting and thought provoking.

PS. - it appears I have figured out how to do colors and fonts. etc. - woohoo, lol.

Lee
Reply With Quote
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2012, 11:49 PM
birdhs's Avatar
birdhs birdhs is offline
WC! Guide
Chattanooga, TN
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 18,570
 
Hails from United States
Re: Putting my toe in the water

I have been folowing this thread since it started and find the artwork interesting and creative.
As an artist who works in many mediums, I am always looking for new concepts.

Digital manipulation of pixels in a photograph IS an art form.

I am glad you have chosen to post on WC.

I am even happier you have not chosen to pack up and leave.

Looking forward to seeing more from you, and yes, please label EVERY photo clearly so your viewers can make sure which image they are commenting on.

life is good

greg
__________________
Click here for>> WC FAQS <<for New Members
- Link to Birdhs' Illustrated Books, galleries, and articles http://campsawduststudios.com
Reply With Quote
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2012, 08:38 PM
ArtistOz's Avatar
ArtistOz ArtistOz is offline
A Local Legend
Australia
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,565
 
Hails from Australia
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: Putting my toe in the water

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeZart
Posted by ArtistOz
“I like the figures in the first two images but feel the compositions need more thought think more about composition and design about how you organize the elements in the picture.”

Posted by LeZart
Regrettably, I am confused about which images you are referring to. I have confused myself by posting too many images at one time without better nomenclature. Would you please clarify which images you are referring to?
Hi Lee sorry about the long delay I have been moving house the last couple of weeks with the inevitable problems of moving and connecting to the internet I haven't been able to reply to your question. So its issue #4 for me.



These were the two images that appealed to me. They are not humans in normal positions so there is interest for me to see some drama in the poses. With composition you are telling the story, whether there is an intense drama or a quiet restful scene going on in the image its how you organize the various elements of the picture that tells the story. The first one I feel there is too much empty space in front of the figure and its too centred for a dynamic pose like that some cropping or reorganizing would make it more appealing being closer to the right side edge would increase the tension of the image.

The blue image is puzzling to me, the figure is gripping enough as it is without the abstract blue shape. As a figure drawer I was struck by the drama of the pose those are the kind of poses one would like to see in a drawing session. It can stand alone as an image it has a lot of raw power in the stance as it is I think he looks like a wannabe silver surfer. These are my ideas and may not be what you want to say in your work.

If you draw a figure for 5 hours and find you have the structure wrong you have to start again if you want to do it right you cant correct a broken drawing. With digital you have far more flexibility to play with images to find pleasing results over traditional drawing so you can learn faster. Keep thinking about composition its not talked about enough or thought about by posters but its what makes or breaks a work. I can't even recommend a good current book on composition. The Famous Artists Painting Course, section 5 has good information and Maitland Graves book based on the lectures of Frank Reilly, The Art of Color and Design is very good these are old school stuff don't dismiss them as the old guys do happen to know some things. Composition is the invisible skill of an artist. Music, writing and making pictures all rely on good compositions. Just my thoughts.
__________________
Bill,
"Classically speaking, the nude does not refer to a person. Its not a portrait its a design." Kenneth Clark
http://www.flickr.com/photos/artistoz/
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:02 PM.


© 2014 F+W All rights reserved.