WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Drawing and Sketching
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 01:45 PM
WC! Guide
I follow my laptop.

Hails from South Africa
Re: Weekly Drawing Thread April 22 - 29

Kim, this is really special. The way you have done the hair is every bit as exciting as the original. Well done!!!!!!
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 03:53 PM
A WC! Legend
US

Hails from United States
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: Weekly Drawing Thread April 22 - 29

Kim, another lovely paper towel piece! Hope some company will get the idea and produce masterpieces from your studio on paper towels!

Michael, here you go.

I didn't want to use rice paper because I know if I like it enough, I want to frame it and starching rice paper takes time. So I make do with a gray paper for now. Not ideal for fog making.

Female model is from devianart's mjranum's model poses.

Chinese brush and ink
14x17 inch

#33   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 05:34 PM

Thanks Michaeleric; You are so kind.

Sandra; Love your dragon with the girl. What the dragon going to do with her ??? I love KingKong movies. Will the dragon act like KingKong. You sure make me fill in the blank... I also like your rocks and the pines and they look like Chinese painting. Wow, You are doing great job. How is the great paper you used interact with the ink?

Kim
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 07:16 PM
A WC! Legend
US

Hails from United States

Kim, thanks for comments. I don't like this gray paper at all for wet media. I can't use paint on it. I'm hesitant to use watercolor paper because when I paint, I make a lot of mistakes and I do many sheets for practice on one pose and if I do that, it will costs me a lot to practice if I pull a 140 lb Arches paper every time. I've used a variety of 90-130 lb watercolor paper but the black sumi ink just pools whenever I use a Chinese brush. It's a pain. That's why I'm more and more into mixed media. Ink work first and then put dry media on top. The gray paper could take at least the Chinese ink without warping and that's why I use it for practice when it's more straight ink and no wash.

Posted some monkey practices here on rice paper. If you do Chinese painting, Kim, post some of your studies at that thread too. It's very lonely over there by myself.
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 07:41 PM

Sandra, I do a lot of ink/brush painting/Sumi-e and I buy large packs of unsized rice paper very inexpensively, it isn't the same as the really high-end stuff but for practice and working out new ideas it is perfect and if a piece comes out great it is still totally capable of being starched/framed. I'm not familiar with the rules here on links so I won't post any unless it is OK, but if you hunt around on some of the more well-known sites you will find these packs. Before I found this I used to buy "newsprint" pads (also very cheap) for practice, it has the slightly darker/grey tone of the paper you used above.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 07:49 PM

Sandra;

I visited your link. Those paintings are so much fun, they made me smile. But the link don't tell me which forum I should go to, and also do not let me post a reply. I haven't do Chinese brush for a long time and need to find some rice paper for practice, or will a new print do the job? What is the name of that gray paper you used for practice.

Kim
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 01:55 PM
WC! Guide
I follow my laptop.

Hails from South Africa

Well, that is one lucky Dragon, Sandra . His smile is full of anticipation . Wonderful .
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 08:45 PM
A WC! Legend
US

Hails from United States

Thank you, Michael. I had a lot of fun doing that piece.

Kim, twistedmedium, let's talk at the watermedia thread here.

Post Your Chinese Brush / Sumi-e Paintings here.
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2012, 08:38 AM
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia

finally got around to do some drawing, unfortunately i m sick and drawing from bed. this is my first human drawing - had to do 3 takes to get to this ... who knew faces are so much rounder ...and eyes so far apart. i always felt that beautiful people have long face and eyes close
Attached Images

#40   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2012, 02:43 PM
WC! Guide
I follow my laptop.

Hails from South Africa

Kate, beauty can show itself in many forms. This is really good for your first human. What do you normally draw? You have not stated whether you want C&C but since this is in a Drawing Thread I make the assumption that you're open to it. Just check her mouth again. With this perspective our left side is much shorter than the right side. Her philtrum on our left should be a bit higher as well. But a lovely sketch.