WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Inspirational Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#121   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2012, 02:17 PM
Artists Are Never Annoying Until They Come OUT of Their Studios.

Hails from United States
Re: Icons & Iconography

I want to thank everyone who's responded so kindly to this thread and to the icons I've shown in it. I've not visited wetcanvas or this thread in perhaps a year, having had to stop painting icons due to an episode of blindness in my right eye, which I believe I'd mentioned in a previous post a year or more ago. The blindness was successfully cured, but the eye remains too weak to continue painting. I painted several more icons after my eye was cured, not wanting to give up the painting, but finally had to admit to myself that my eye could no longer tolerate the strain.

There's a very-real danger for one's eyesight in the reflectivity of light in the floats of egg-tempera one uses in painting icons. My doctor believes it was this which caused the uveitis I suffered from to occur. Not saying this to scare anyone away from painting icons, but only as a caution. Try to position your painting in such a way that you're not exposed to blinding glare for prolonged periods. It was bad practice that did me in--I simply should have been more careful.

In the time I've been away from this forum I've devoted myself to studying and playing chess, and I'm also writing a chess-novel and very much enjoying doing that.

I've been considering resuming painting icons, but this time with acrylic, which I have hopes won't be subject to such intense glare. But, I've not yet made a final decision as to if, or not, I'll resume painting.

It's truly humbling to read the various kindly remarks people have made in my absence, and I'm glad to see that this thread is of some small use to you.
  #122   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 08:58 AM

Hails from Greece

May you find fullfilment in your new life of chess, and may your eye get better in time. Icons in acrylics are very acceptable. In fact we don't know if those old masters wouldn't have loved the technological changes in media.

Good luck and thank you for everything.

#123   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2013, 11:32 PM
Enthusiast
Louisiana

Hails from United States

wow there a lot to do to do these. I was looking at some done a long time ago on the web. You know the ones done around 1000 ad or so give or take a few hundred years. was thinking of doing some my self but just using paint on canvas or wood.
ask your doc. if a eye patch would be good so it will not strain the eye. most icons is flat anyway
p-lus you can play a pirate to little kids lol just kidding about the pirate

Last edited by jocko500 : 03-05-2013 at 11:38 PM. Reason: added to the comment
  #124   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-25-2013, 06:57 PM
Artists Are Never Annoying Until They Come OUT of Their Studios.

Hails from United States

Hi, I haven't visited this thread in several years, but recently was visiting with a person and the talk unexpectedly turned to iconography. I mentioned that I used to paint icons.

Coincidentally, she and her business partner are planning to start a school for teaching the techniques of iconography, and after viewing this thread she's interested in having me work with them on this project.

I'm not sure if my eye is up to the task, but I may be returning to painting icons. If not painting, then teaching.

I am so gratified by the many truly kind comments you folks have left during my absence--you're all exceedingly kind, and thank you.

If I resume painting/writing icons, I'll surely resume posting here regularly.

Again, thanks to all of you for your interest and kindness!