WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Southwest and Western Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2012, 12:47 PM
Enthusiast
Arizona

Hails from United States
Re: Round the Campfire - May

Quick good morning gang!

WOW Robert!!! Love the update!!

Jenna - I bought a book on botanical portraits by Ann Swan, and she gave a whole list of recommended colored pencils - Faber-Castell Polys. I bought the whole list. This is the positive side of having an outside job!! My plan is to do a rose portrait for every rose in my garden, Ann's book is to die for and the instruction is really good. Between her book and another book on flowers in colored pencil, I just might be able to pull it off.

A collective hello to the gang, I'm on a deadline so gotta get going. Breakfast today is egg and sausage croissants with cheese!

Kate
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2012, 12:54 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Good morning!

Hi Kate. Wow, what an exciting purchase. I have a nice set of Faber-Castell polychromos and they are so excellent. I am crazy about them! I hope they'll be as great for you as they have been for me. You'll be drawing roses for life with that goal!

Hello to everyone else. I'm off to check on the kittens. Catch you all later!

My blog: http://thecozyred.wordpress.com/
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2012, 07:40 PM
Catherine1

Good day!

I've been pressed for time all week and now that the weekend is here.. Time has run out. Have read all the postings, you all have been busy.

Love the Kittens. Jenna..

DJ..
Hope things are still going well for you. Did you get your Buffalo pics?
Ron..
Those tables are really really heave duty. I was really surprised with the quality. Better go down now and look at them as the $150 is the sale price they usually go for $200+. Think it lasts till the end of the month.

Robert.. Looking stellar!!

Aleda.. Hope your move is an easy one! I'm a wee bit jealous! No scratch that pencil me in as A LOT jealous

Kate.. Don't cha just love new toys!!! ::Gets out the magic paint wand:: I see a real 'Rosie' future for us on viewing side of those pencils. Pun intended..

Linda Been enjoying your No Fear series. Just want to tell ya again how much improved you are.. AND.. How much more you will be in the near future.. Keep it up gal.

Donald.. Hope your doing well adjusting. It sounds like a radical change. I fellow on my crew had just lost his job and thought he could slip back into construction easy like. (He worked summers in college days.. ) Boy was he surprised how things had changed, on his end.. and just how much heavier a 90# JH got after 15 years. Keep plugging at your art, I too would like to see you attain your dream!
Oh.. How did your daughter like her surprise visit to your friends stable? (I musta missed it if you did tell.)

Jo.. I do that too with the monthly postings.. Lol.. One time it took me a week to figure out that it was a new month..

Jim.. Thanks.. It doesn't feel homey.. Yet.. and the lighting makes me a bit unsure of colors. But now Joe can watched movies while I paint. Its not as lonely.

Lisa.. Did you get through your papers? Loved the pics of the colts and dams. Can we use them?

On the home front.. I took a few paintings to the Steubenville Art Assoc. show and got a merit award with the game cocks. Was a nice surprise.. So far all the festivals that I applied to have been approved. Its going to be a busy summer. :-) Just hope the economy doesn't tank.. :/
We have been seeing tom cats roaming about and Patches has moved her kittens several times. Pictures are coming when she brings them to the porch again. I have the camera ready. Anyone need a kitten or two? Jim? Ron?

Deb.. So how does your garden grow these days?

Don.. Miss ya.. You to Lenore.. Where has Max been??

Well time to get off of here and get to painting.. Adieus!
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2012, 11:32 PM
Immortalized
Heart of Missouri's Outback!

Hails from United States

Catherine, We didn't make it to the stables. He had company over the weekend, and on Tuesday he called but we were on our way to a 4H meeting. I haven't heard from him since. She will be going to a Bible Rodeo camp in June for 3 days, so she will get to ride a horse. We were in Columbia today, and they had kayaks for $229 so we bought one for her. She is so excited and can't wait to get it in the water. I hope it tracks good for her. Now we all have nice kayaks, and when company comes we have a spare. We will be hosting a girl from Japan for 4 weeks this summer, so we are set to go to the lake a few times.

Here is a saying I ran across in Hobby Lobby today.

"The future belongs to those who believe in the future of their dreams."

Don't know the author, but I find it inspiring.

I didn't get to paint today after all. I forgot we had to go to a 5 hour class fore hosting the girl from Japan. Then shopping for the rest of the day. We just got home. We had a good day, plus I got to see my son and his family and my precious grand daughter.

Well I'm rambling, I'm tired, think I'll get ready for bed even though it's only 9:30.

G'nite,
Donald
PS: Last weekend I got to work on a painting of a cougar. I plan on finishing it in the morning. Not sure I like it. I like the cougar, not so much the rest of the painting. No TF in this one...
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2012, 12:52 AM
A Local Legend
Scottsdale, AZ USA (do I get a flag?)

Hails from United States

Short report.
I got up before the heat and went out to see the Mounted Shooters again. It is teetering near 100 and the HORSES are too hot, let alone the humans!
They have "wranglers" which are kids who don't shoot but run the course with one hand on a dummy gun in practice. I got moms out there giving permission for me to snap at least three absolutely beautiful little cowgirls!!!
I am fried. Big hat but no sun block can make for a very drowsy afternoon.
Trying for the last day of the season tomorrow. I am too old for this... but I have photos up the wazoo!!!
Next weekend I bring the camera to Estes and go for the elk and whatever wanders into camp.
Night all!
dj*
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2012, 10:56 AM
Enthusiast
eastern South Dakota

Hails from United States

DJ--Have fun at Estes! It is sooo beautiful there. . . . I can recall without looking some photos we took with some CO friends during a trip up there (and to the top of the divide) 15 years ago or so.

If you keep struggling to find good bison photos, I can try to get some nearby. . . . There's a pasture where I might be able to sneak around the back and snap a few pics. Otherwise it's surrounded by interstate and private property. Let me know. . . .

Aleada--"Rube" reminds me of one of my favorite authors, Hunter S. Thompson, who had an ESPN column called "Hey, Rube" and a book by the same name as well. . . . It's about sports, and the "Rube" allusion is to a guy who's a simpleton or a jerk, basically. It was the last of Thompson's work before he killed himself, and, in my opinion, his worst, but if you like sports, you might be entertained by the book. Not that you have anything else going on right now! Nice work selling some paintings to the buyers, too!!! A great legacy for your "old" home.

Don--Your summer sounds packed with worthy activities and commitments. Kayaks, woohoo!! We got a new canoe last summer but didn't like it, so my boyfriend has ordered another that will come in the mail this week! We sold the other one for what we paid for it. We have a made-from-scratch trailer for my boyfriend's Prius; it pulls a canoe or two just fine.

Catherine--Yes you can certainly use the photos. I'll post some new ones today. Yes I did complete the papers, sans some very late stragglers. . . . Word on the street is I'm not alone in assessing this term overall as one of the worst (regarding student effort--not ability, but effort) in a long time. I do hope summer will be better since I'll have 50 engineering majors who must complete 16 weeks' work in 4 and 1/2 weeks' time. (June is pretty much shot.)

Jenna--Not sure about the Friday reference, though it was my final "official" day on campus for the semester. . . as well as my sister's wedding! It was small and intimate, just close family. She's the one who lost her husband six years ago in the car/train accident. We all wish her the very best with her new husband.
I keep forgetting to say how much I love your scratchboard of Oliver!

I got them an Autumn Blaze Maple tree for part of their gift, and had to pick it up 1) in the pouring rain Friday afternoon and 2) with my Prius. The young man assisting me was quite cheerful about it. =) Yes, you can put a 10-foot tree with a giant root ball into a Prius.

Hi to everyone else! Following are some more photos from the university Horse Unit.

This one (above) is the newest--just 2 days old I think.

Use any you like!! They're not the greatest; the clouds, a you can tell, were intermittently heavy that day and I didn't have tons of time to wait around for good shots. They're pretty shy in general and stay near the hay and water with their dams. This oldest one started to come up to me a bit, though, before darting off. . . .

Hi to all, and happy painting!

Last edited by Lisa M : 05-06-2012 at 11:03 AM.
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2012, 02:15 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Hello everyone!

Hi Catherine. Thanks, I'm glad you like the photos. Congratulations on the merit award! That's excellent! Way to go! I look forward to seeing pictures of your Patches' little ones. Hope those tom cats keep away from them!

One of my tom cats has taken to crawling into the box with the two moms and the little kittens and napping with them. I was a little uneasy about him being in there, but he is the most gentle and kind tom cat, and he seems to really enjoy playing the daddy. Hope it stays that way.

Hi Donald. It sounds like you have an eventful and exciting summer coming up with the kayaking, hosting a girl from Japan, among other things. Sounds like a great summer coming for you all. I love your cougar painting! Great work!

Hi DJ. Sounds like you've been having fun, too. Ooh, sunscreen will help you feel better next time you're out in the hot sun all day! Hope to see some of those photos.

Hi Lisa. Congratulations to your sister on her wedding! I hope she will have many, many long and happy years with her new husband after suffering through such a tragedy. Thanks for the nice comment about my scratchboard. What beautiful photos! Those foals look so sweet. I always love how close the mare and her foal stay. There's such a bond there. Thanks for sharing. These are beautiful!

Hi to everyone! Hi Ron, Jim, Jo, Scatdaddy (anyone heard from him lately?), Deb, Max (where are you these days? Hope you're alright), and anyone I missed. Have a great day!

#38   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2012, 09:52 AM
WC! Guide
southeast Wyoming

Hails from United States

Lisa- nice photos! It always amazes me how fast newborn critters can get up and start walking or even run.

Donald- love all the activities you have planned for the summer!

As I type, its snowing. Yes, snow, with a wee bit slushly accumulation on deck. No complaints, we need moisture badly. Last week after work, and over weekend, I was able to install ceramic tile on walls around wifes new bathtub and shower. (We've been in process of having master bath remodeled). In the next couple days, I will have floor tiled... then call plumbers.. and done! Yea, one more project crossed off the list...

Hi to everyone, have great day.

Come join us in the Southwest/Western forum
My art blog
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2012, 11:17 AM
Enthusiast
Arizona

Hails from United States

Hi gang!!

Frustrating weekend! My plan was to get most of my colored pencil drawing knocked out this weekend. It's supposed to be shipped May 19. Well.....my parents showed up on Saturday, stayed all day. Sunday, hubby's parents showed up around 11, stayed until 2, then a friend of mine showed up as they were leaving. She stayed until well after dark. So much for getting my drawing knocked out!!

On the positive side - we put up a new pool, above ground and big enough to swim in. We spent the evening in the pool. Very nice indeed!!

OK, breakfast today is yogurt and granola. Yum!

Lisa - thanks for sharing the baby horses! They are adorable!!

Donald - I took a look at your cougar painting, nicely done!

Catherine - can you use your magic wand to make 48 hours in one day???

DJ - I want to go to Estes Park with you!!! I've never been to Colorado, there's a whole long story there. Enjoy!! I can't wait to see your photos of your young riders. How fun!!

Jenna - kitty pics????

Hello to the rest of the camfire!!

Kate
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2012, 11:53 AM
Florida

Hails from United States

I am going to be away from the computer; spring cleaning for days. To sell the house next we will have a bank inspection and appraisal. Now they do this before the buyer can get a mortgage, at least here in Florida. I have heard of sales falling through from this. The realtor will bring comps showing similar houses that have sold for this price in this area. This fall they included short sales and foreclosures in the comps, just keep the prices down. So I am going to be very busy cleaning and when I have time I will paint again and sit by the fire for some java, friendly conversation, and sharing.

Kate, Thank you for visiting my website. You know I admire and enjoy your art.
Jo thank you for the comment on my blog and liking my Facebook page. If you have a Facebook page let's be friends!
Lisa, thank you for allowing the use of the wonderful foal photographs, I would love to have them in my file and use them for art.
Catherine, come visit and I'll show you around and we can paint. together.
Jenna, good luck with the kittens and your activities & thanks for hosting.

Aleada, Aleada Siragusa Fine Art Facebook Page
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2012, 12:11 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Hi Aleada, we may stay a few weeks in Silver late September, we shall see. It would be great to get together.

Kate, I fixed fruit and yogurt for Gene this a.m. so I had some pineapple and banana then put strawberries on my rice cake with peanut butter and cream cheese. Pretty good! Ah, have a great time with the pencils. I do not have the patience. Bet your roses will be amazing. Your weekend sounds like mine, too busy.

Jenna, hey there. Guess the kittens and trying to get in some art takes most of your time. Interesting about the Tom. Love the finish on the scratchboard.

Robert, you, too, have patience. Beautiful.

Catherine, very nice to have your work all accepted. A merit award is a good thing! Congratulations.

Donald, kayaking sounds like a great family thing. I don't do water, so can only watch and cheer you on! Heh.

dj, have a great time in Estes. You will be nice and cool there. We've had some of those 90 degree days. A bit too early to suit me.

Lisa the foals and mares are just great. Thanks for sharing them.

Ron, snow sounds good to me today, supposed to be low 90s. Bet you are excited to get another room done. We are having the porch by the dining area screened in. Will be so nice.

I went to a Derby Day charity event on Saturday. Worked the Austin Pastel booth. We sold 4 paintings (one mine!!!) and some note cards, etc. 50% to the charity, so a good day. They didn't expect art so 4 sales was great. Next year, more. Right?

Sunday company and we went to a songwriter's jam with 3 folk/country female writers. Fun. The Bugle Boy in La Grange, TX. They are streaming some of their concerts now, yesterday was the first. Very entertaining and will be $3. Some of the best artists perform there. They have seating for 80 and is a no talking, no phone, no smoking venue. Drink coffee, wine, etc. No real food. They put chips in bowls so the bags aren't making noise either. Heh, heh. Just super for listening to the singers and hear their stories. One of the singers, said a friend was stuck on a song and asked her what the sexiest word is? She thought about it and told him. He never wrote the song so she did. The sexiest word is, "Yes!" So, fun stories.

Later, they are here to work on the porch.
Winston Churchill
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2012, 06:24 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Hi everyone.

Hi Ron. Snow? Oh, I'm so sorry! I can't stand the sight of snow once April hits, let alone May! At least it will melt off quickly being this late in the year. It sounds like the house is getting better and better! I'd love to see some fresh photos to see your progress lately. I'll bet your wife is thrilled about the new bathroom!

Hi Kate. Nothing like a lot of unexpected company to keep you busy! Hope it was a nice weekend anyway. A pool? You lucky gal! I've been hoping for a pool all my life...they are so fun. Enjoy it!

I'll get more kitty photos soon. Haven't got many new ones just now.

Hi Aleada. Sounds like you have a lot of work ahead of you. I hope it goes great. We'll miss you while you're away. Don't be a stranger. Thanks for the nice comments.

Hi Jo. Thanks for the kind comments on the scratchboard. Congratulations on the art sales! The songwriter's jam sounds really fun! Must be a huge event for those aspiring musicians.

Hi everyone else! Catch you later.

#43   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 04:20 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Minnesota

Hails from Denmark

Hello Folks! Been away for a while. Been playing around with a couple new cameras and haven't done much painting. Had a nasty storm last week, 60 mph winds, marble to quarter size hail that came down for about twenty minutes! Stripped 2/3rds of the leaves off my maple tree and totally shredded my hostas and ferns! If you haven't noticed, we are going through a super moon phase. The moon is the closest it has been. Here are a few shots with the new camera...

#44   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 08:10 AM
Immortalized
Heart of Missouri's Outback!

Hails from United States

WOW Marcus, nice photos of the moon. What kind of lenses do you have and what kind of cameras? I've been shopping for a digital, but the number one thing I want is a camera that clicks when I push the button, not a 1/2 to 1 second delay after I push the button. I know they're out there. But most digitals I've used have a bad delay and it makes me loose the moment sometimes.

Donald
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 09:00 AM
Enthusiast
eastern South Dakota

Hails from United States

Nice to see you back, Marcus! I'm sorry to hear of the damage. That storm missed us to the north by about 20 miles, where it dropped over 5 inches of rain inside a couple of hours and brought the river up over 12 feet (and still increasing), from extremely dry to just above flood stage. We were lucky. One man drowned in a flooded creek, even, and some buildings were flattened or lost roofs.

I'd also be curious to know about your camera purchases and what you think of them. My boyfriend is looking at cameras right now.

Jo--What a lovely and classy way to spend the Derby! Did you make any bets on the race? We go to Canterbury in a few weeks; I can't wait!

Ron--You can have some of our rain! My lawn is spongy--can't say I've seen that before.

I'm in the process of removing a large flower bed, and pulling out the border of 25-60# rocks has been surprisingly easy given the moisture content of the soil. I felt a little sad seeing all the new flowers coming up, but the yarrow is taking over and the grass is a constant nightmare, so it's going back to lawn. More horse time for me.

Hi to Jenna, Kate, Catherine, everyone. . . .Gotta go.