WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2012, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member
Kentucky

Hails from United States
Limited edition prints on a POD site

Hello all! I'm just curious if you can do limited edition prints on a POD site? I'm currently considering Fineartamerica.com and Imagekind.com

I know I'll find out by doing some investigating but, the question is fresh in my mind and I'm at my blasted day job.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Oh, and if you know of a better site than the two I listed...I'm all ears! (or eyes as I'm looking at a computer monitor...but, as I read there is that little voice in my head talking out loud. Crap, I'm rambling LOL)

Oakshade Studio
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2012, 07:35 PM
A WC! Legend
She who rambles

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Limited edition prints on a POD site

Limited edition prints should be signed and numbered by hand. You could simply use a POD as your printer to do that. For instance ordering them yourself and signing and numbering, then stop offering that image when you've numbered the full edition.

But people purchasing through the POD would only be able to get an open edition.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2012, 09:37 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Actually, you can offer Limited Editions on FAA. You'd just need to set it up as if you were selling an original piece, instead of having FAA print it. Then, you'd be responsible for procuring the print, handling the transaction and signing and shipping the item.

I've noticed a few FAA members doing that, but haven't really looked into the specifics.

Have you considered selling through Etsy.com, where you also post, sell and ship your own work?

Also, thanks for providing me with the biggest laugh of my Saturday, so far!

Oh, and if you know of a better site than the two I listed...I'm all ears! (or eyes as I'm looking at a computer monitor...but, as I read there is that little voice in my head talking out loud. Crap, I'm rambling LOL)

Oh, I feel your pain!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2012, 06:06 AM
A WC! Legend
Corrales, New Mexico

Hails from United States

I'm a printmaker and sign and number each of my prints because that is the norm when one does etchings, woodcuts, engravings, etc. Because I live in a humid climate I only pull the number of prints I can reasonable sell in a 6 month period.

I ask... why would you want the hassle of a numbered edition. It's a lot of bookkeeping work, especially if you are using FAA et al. You will be paying for shipping to you so you can sign and number and then pay for shipping to your buyer. I don't see much profit in it.

Plus... (thinking out loud)... unless you are hugely famous (Chuck Close et al) there is no added value to your customer in a numbered edition. The day of the hugely expensive reproduction (giclee) is over, the bubble having burst about 10 years ago. Most buyers don't even know the difference. You will be offering a quality reproduction but it's still a reproduction. Enjoy the 'residual art' earnings without the headache and just sell as many as those suckers as you can directly from the source (me, rambling, too)...

Diane
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2012, 11:47 PM
Veteran Member
Kentucky

Hails from United States

GREAT input!! Thanks!
Diane your insight on numbered editions is spot on. I'm still pretty new to the 'print' world.
Eyespy I'm glad I could generate a laugh! We all need to do that more! Thanks for the info as well!

Oakshade Studio