WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Fiber Arts
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2012, 07:55 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States
Re: Stitch in Time May 2012

Margo, yes it's possible to open a thread just for your work. Sigrun has just one thread where she shows all her silk work encompassing a few years. You are ambitious doing spring cleaning.

Jen, the sock prescription is delightful. Hope the guy appreciates it.

Bonnie, sure 2 bibs and a burp pad = 1 blanket. Wow, they are haying already? Haying season around here isn't until July or August. Sorry Tom is feeling poorly. Sometimes you have to beat a guy to keep them down when they are ill or they can do themselves in really badly.

Well, Margo may be spring cleaning, but mine will have to wait. It's winter again. Cold temperatures and rain. DH called from work to say it's snowing up there. (He works about 1000 feet higher in elevation than where we live.) In the meantime, I have sewn the shirt together. It fits. I finished drafting facing patterns and will be finishing the neckline and hemming next. So, soon there will be a new shirt. Unfortunately, I dislike the print of the fabric. I did note that it goes really well with a pair of green sweats that I have on today that do not leave the house as they are less than acceptable for public viewing.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2012, 08:32 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Fort Mohave, Arizona

Hails from United States

Yea! Debby got her shirt to fit. That is great!!! Now the next shirt will go so much faster and out of a print that you like.

Bonnie, great that you are losing the weight. Yes I agree with Debby in that what you are making for the lady is equal. Glad Tom is doing better and he probably needed all that rest to heal the body.

Haying in your back yard, Bonnie. The Indian cut and bale hay here, year around.

Jen the socks and script is wonderful. I hope he had a laugh and put the socks on.

Margo, all that cleaning and putting winter things away. Too much work for me but I understand it always looks so good when you are done.

Worked on adding to my website today. I really have a hard time sitting and typing long enough to get add all the things that should be added. I gave up after a couple of hours and we went to the post office to mail off the 4 dolls that I sold yesterday.

Now, after two days of no sewing, I have started to sew up the pink linen like coats that I had cut out. Designing as I go. Someone asked for my pattern and it is kind of funny as I really don't make a pattern for each coat. I have a basic sleeve pattern and a basic back pattern and the rest is cut and go with whatever I think will work. Most of the time it works. These will have to work because that is all of that fabric I have. I have already, in starting to sew up a couple of the pieces, changed things a little. There are never any to things I sew exactly alike. I would get bored doing the same thing over and over. No fun in doing that anyway
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2012, 10:44 PM
Enthusiast
Northeast Tennessee

Hails from United States

Good work, Debs!

Ok, I have the burp pad done, almost ran out of the cotton yarn on that. Now the other bib. I will get it started tonight and finish tomorrow.

I wasn't really worried about making anything for her since I gave her a hefty shower gift(s), lol. But I just wanted to do it.

Eva, don't think I said in the other post, those little coats are so cute.

I am made in God's image so I create.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2012, 12:04 PM
Enthusiast
Northeast Tennessee

Hails from United States

Indelicately called a "burp pad" by practical moms and grandmas like me, it is called a "shoulder protector" more delicately in the Crochet! magazine EASY No-Sew Crochet edition I bought recently. Theirs looks better than mine because I ran out of yarn and cut it a little short by a few rows, but it's still plenty big enough to drape over and "protect" the shoulder from the innocent. Theirs has better rounded edges that I couldn't do with the edging because of lack of yarn. Here it is with the bib I already posted.

It's rainy and a cool 66* here right now, really nice. But supposed to get thunderstorms later this afternoon. Not so nice. Tom is up and feeling a good bit better, still has the cold.

Last edited by blestlady : 05-05-2012 at 12:07 PM.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2012, 05:50 PM
Enthusiast
where my whimsy takes me

Hails from United States

The burp pad ( yes lets get real about what it really is!) looks fab just the way you did it and no one is looking at the pattern other than you. A wonderful job of making do with what you had to hand. Bonnie I agree with the others, you are even, at least if you feel even. I think you must be enjoying playing with what you are doing, yes?

Yippee Debby, it fits! Well now you can go about making shirts in fabrics you like. You must be doing a happy dance now. With that success under your belt it will help you to do what you need to on the pants pattern. Maybe Mom could help with any measuring that may be off? The locals keep saying we could have another cold patch, but I have crossed fingers not this year. Our cherry tree is already setting fruit. Stay warm.

Eva though I feel kind of virtuous to be doing my spring clean and tidy, the ulterior motive is...there is no where left to pile stuff. My house is small to begin with, it was built by my landlady for just her...1 closet that opens from 2 sides, free standing cabinets in the kitchen, some racks in the laundry room and some ceiling racks in the studio. I have way too many clothes, coats, shoes, and that isn't even going into the excess of kitchen toys and pots and pans I have. It's an organizational juggling act, which I grew tired of earlier in the year and basically just stopped trying for a while. Woman can not live by organizing alone! I'd like to finish today but honestly I'm not overly optimistic about that, but you never know, just depends on how much I doddle while juggling I guess. Laters
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2012, 06:22 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Eva, glad you are back to sewing. You have more fun that way, rather than working on the website. Hey, can John do the website? That would free you up to do more sewing and doll fixing.

Bonnie, the burp pad looks great. I'm sure the new mom will appreciate it.

Margo, hope your weather holds. I had snow this morning. Fortunately, it didn't stick and it's supposed to warm up tomorrow.

I am so right now. I had food caught in my teeth after lunch. I went to floss and brush. After I was done, my tongue felt a ridge on the edge of the tooth I just had fixed. I can move the d*** crown!!! That dentist is getting an earful come Monday. It hasn't come off completely, but I will be very careful the rest of the weekend.

On the plus side, the shirt finishing is coming along nicely. I should be finished soon. I had to decide what to do about an opening in the front because I made it a pull over the head design to try out the pattern. I think I've got it, just need to sew the idea into place, then hem the bottom. I'll take a picture when I'm done.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2012, 07:26 PM
Fort Mohave, Arizona

Hails from United States

Bonnie, the burp pad and bid look great and no one but you know that it should have been a little bigger. It is fine just the way it it.

Margo, is there any way of having a shed or something on the property so that you could store some of the extra stuff you have? I have 1600 square feet and I still run out of room and our shed it stuffed right up to the door I think we have a way of always filling our spaces up. Of course you downsized and maybe some day you can have a bigger place. I have downsized and upsized and downsized so many times I can't count any more but this is the last place we are going to live so I better do something with all the junk I have.

Debby, your tooth..grrrrrrr. Be careful all weekend. I use to have a couple of crowns but now I have false teeth and they can cause problems too. Need mine relined.

Worked for a bit on the doll coat this morning and I have to work some more on it because I made the sleeves too big and they don't look right.

Went out to the thrift stores this morning and I made a haul with only $13 spent. 9 dolls, 3 skeins of dazzleaire yarn (should be enough to make a baby blanket), 5 pieces of fabric, a little bit of lace, and a bunch of Barbie doll clothes and shoes. After I came home I got all the dolls washed up and two have original clothing so it will go in the laundry and back on the dolls. Only one of the baby dolls are of any great value and 3 of the Barbie dolls have some value. The rest are cheap but seeing I didn't spend much, should still make some money off them. I am making more work for myself by buying all these dolls but they will sell come the fall and winter. My house sure does look like a toy store.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2012, 09:06 PM
Enthusiast
Northeast Tennessee

Hails from United States

Debby, yay on the shirt, boo on the crown! Dental probs and weekends, not good.

Eva, what a haul! You've got me buying baby dolls and I have done nothing with them. I am up to about 5 now. I don't need this in my over-stuffed craft room. I might crochet something for them someday, who knows.

Margo, spring cleaning......well I'm at least doing bathrooms and washing clothes today....did I should say. It's time to stop at 8:00 right! When space is tight it does keep the clutter down I guess. Didn't work well for me in the small FL house, though.

Going to work on that other bib now.

#24   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2012, 11:35 PM
San Francisco

Hails from United States

Hi all.

Wow, Bonnie, on the 20 1/2 lbs!
And Debby, that sewing project?
Spring cleaning, sigh. Badly needed here....

And enjoyable day. Joined a local Quilting/Fiber group and went to the quarterly meeting. Fun, working on projects together and being with like-minded people.

We met at a place called FabMo. It is a local nonprofit that accepts designer samples and other things that will otherwise be thrown away. Such a range of wonderful fabrics and odds and ends, all for a small donation.

Jen
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2012, 01:56 AM
Enthusiast
where my whimsy takes me

Hails from United States

Why is it that every time you have a dental problem or emergency it's the weekend? Happens to me every time. Sorry Debby, at least the shirt is working!

Nope Eva, no can do on the shed, rental property remember? There is one shed I can use that is also the pump house, so can't pile stuff in front of that, and don't really want to store any sort of textiles out there anyway. I'll figure it out with a few steps forward and a few more back! Still not done, but I just ran out of energy totally about 4:30 or so, too much up and down crawling around etc for two days. Tomorrow is another day though, and I see lots of beautiful evidence of progress to cheer me on. I managed to hang a few more things on the walls, high up between the vigas, I'm looking at those beautiful native baskets as I type. Brings a big smile to my face, and after all isn't that why we collect things?

Sounds like a fun group Jen and what a cache of supplies to pick through.

Well I'm too tired to type so I guess that means I should get off the computer and just go to bed. Nightey Night all (I always feel like an episode of the Waltons when I say that!)
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2012, 03:55 PM
Fort Mohave, Arizona

Hails from United States

It was seam ripper time for me this morning. Not getting around to well today so thought might as well take the doll coat I worked on yesterday apart and fixed what was wrong with it. The sleeves were too big so that meant taking the sleeves out of the coat and the lining. Got it done, cut down the sleeves and sewed it back together. Waaaa Laaaa! The coat fits and so I did the same thing to the second coat. Now I am down to hand sewing the cuffs and bottoms of both coats and then decide what type of buttons I am going to put on them.

It is only in the mid 80's here and very windy. When I took out the garbage and cleaned the cat pan, two of my favorite things to do , it felt pretty good out there. John wanted to go to WalMart but I just don't feel up to driving in that wind today and there is nothing we really need that can't wait until tomorrow.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2012, 04:58 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Eva, sounds like some great finds at the thrift store. I'm sure your place is like a toy store. Don't blame you at all for not wanting to go out in the wind.

Bonnie, how is the bib coming along? You know, 1 bib and 1 burp cloth would be fine too.

Jen, what fun to get together with other fiber-holics in person.

Hi Margo.

The shirt, it is finished. Tho' it probably would have made better kitchen curtains than a shirt.

I've been noodling over the pants all morning. I'm still not quite sure which way to go on this. I may have to start over. Here's the problem...

Besides the purple fabric. The point of the pattern creates a bulk of fabric in the middle of the pants where the 4 seams come together. It creates a hill and doesn't give me the length of crotch I need to sit down. It's fine when I'm standing up. The lines on the pattern inside, cutting off a lot of the point is where I think it should be. That greatly shortens the intended length of the crotch seam. But, it wasn't fitting correctly anyway. Am I going the right direction here? Or, should I be looking at widening the pant leg to keep the length at the crotch? Any opinions?
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2012, 05:28 PM
Fort Mohave, Arizona

Hails from United States

It looks to me like you have too much point in the crotch area. You may have to make the leg part straighter down which will make the leg a little wider but will preserve the crotch to waist seam. Usually pants don't fit when you sit down because of not enough fabric in the leg/hip/butt area. That is my two cents anyway. You probably need to have Jen look at it because she does so much adult clothing.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2012, 10:14 PM
Enthusiast
Northeast Tennessee

Hails from United States

Hello all, just running by today. Church, WM run and then CB for lunch. It was a delicious 14 WW points spent. Then I went back to church tonight. Tom is feeling better and went this morning but wasn't ready to go back tonight. We don't normally go on Sun. night.

Debby, I like the top! And I like the colorful fabric. Thought you might model it for us, though. I think Eva can help you with the pants problem.

Hello Eva, Margo and Jen........Thanks Jen for the congrats.

I think 1 bib, 1 "shoulder protector" hee hee , would be ok, too, but just trying different bib patterns. It's kind of fun.

#30   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2012, 02:07 PM
San Francisco

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDebby

The shirt, it is finished. Tho' it probably would have made better kitchen curtains than a shirt.

I've been noodling over the pants all morning. I'm still not quite sure which way to go on this. I may have to start over. Here's the problem...

Besides the purple fabric. The point of the pattern creates a bulk of fabric in the middle of the pants where the 4 seams come together. It creates a hill and doesn't give me the length of crotch I need to sit down. It's fine when I'm standing up. The lines on the pattern inside, cutting off a lot of the point is where I think it should be. That greatly shortens the intended length of the crotch seam. But, it wasn't fitting correctly anyway. Am I going the right direction here? Or, should I be looking at widening the pant leg to keep the length at the crotch? Any opinions?

Debby, Your blouse looks great. Love the material and the purple accent.

Ok, fitting pants. I am NOT an expert on pants BUT....

Yes, I think you are trying to add too much to the inseam, and possibly too straight across. I think the "hill" you are getting may be due to curve. Add to length from waist to crotch.

Have you measured yourself from waist through crotch to waist? With a string or measuring tape. With a bit added for allowance, this should give you the what is needed for a correct fit, sitting and standing. Compare this measurement against a pair of pants, preferably of similar weight/give of fabric. That should give an idea of the extra needed for allowance.

Adjustments may need to be both in length of center/crotch seam and inseam and side seams. And with a more curved center / crotch seam. To preserve the shaping of the original pattern, cut the pattern lengthwise and even between waist and crotch, adding the increases.

And if you are wanting to taper the leg for a trimmer style or to come in more at the waist, remember to do so at both inseam and side seam.

An old trick for fitting pants is to use gingham to make a pattern model. The grid of the gingham makes it so much easier to see what is going on, and to cut for an increase or decrease.

Ok, my 2 cents worth!

Jen