WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Photography > The Darkroom
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2012, 04:40 PM
missouri

Hails from United States
Just starting out

Hey guys. So I just got myself a Nikon 5100 not too long ago so I thought I'd drop by and say hi and show you some of my work. Hope you enjoy

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2012, 05:48 PM
Lord of the Arts
Atlanta, GA

Hails from United States
Re: Just starting out

I like the ideas, but sorry to say none is sharp. Seems to be a focus problem rather than camera movement. Framing could be improved as well...except for the last one...that has excellent framing.

Ron

Sony RX100, Canon G12, Nikon D5100, D70s, P5000 (IR converted), CP4500, CP950, Minolta A2 - post-processing RAW in Lightroom and Photoshop CS6 using NIK, Topaz, on One and DxO Labs software
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2012, 06:30 PM
Sterling Heights, Michigan

Hails from United States

Although the photos may not be sharp, your composition on the last one is Spot On. That is a photo waiting for a story. Cute subject you have there. Was he posing? or did you catch him in this great setting with that expression on his face?

I also like the colors and composition in the purple flowers on the log with the blurry background. This is a good example of depth of field. It appears that the top left of the log is the most in focus. Greens and purples go so well togethe, it is one of my favorite combinations of colors.

Are you using a tripod?
Are you using manual mode or auto?
Is this your first digital DSRL?
I don't own one but have been thinking of getting a D5100 Nikon. Dudley just got one, you might want to ask him some questions regarding some hints and tips that might help.

I hope you share more.

LORELL

"What we do during our working hours determines what we have; what we do during our leisure hours determines what we are. " - George Eastman
Nikon D5100, 16-300mm Tamron lens, Tamron 90mm Macro lens
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2012, 11:14 PM
A Local Legend
Huntington Beach, CA

Hails from United States

I agree that the last one is very nice. Well spotted and shot.

It's quite possible that what appears to be a focus issue is actually the softening caused by downsizing to JPG. Even tack-sharp images often need to be sharpened after prepping them for posting here.
snilloRs.com
camera: Canon PowerShot SX40HS - photo editing: Photoshop CS5
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2012, 01:54 AM
missouri

Hails from United States

Luv to answer your questions. No, he was not posing I just looked over and he was sitting quietly underneath the tree. I saw it as a good opportunity. I do not used a tripod. I use auto because I'm still trying to figure out what everything on my camera does. Yes, this is my first DSRL. I am in no way a professional photographer just a curious amature looking to learn more.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2012, 03:42 AM
WC! Guide
Chattanooga, TN

Hails from United States

FenX- well, welcome to the Photography forum...

I am still waiting for Santa to drop off that new DSLR (I'd be happy if I got a used one). So therefore listening to your descriptions and adventures will be fun for both of us.

All levels of expertise (or none at all in my case) are welcome. The comments made are always just meant to help us improve, not as an insult. and these photo buffs are very helpful... and smart.

Post often!

life is good

Greg
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2012, 04:00 AM
Veteran Member
Cheshire U.K.

Hails from United Kingdom

I like the last one best as I think that the slight softness adds to the ambience of the shot.
I would however suggest that the second one would benefit from some cropping in order to remove some of the background.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2012, 12:14 PM
missouri

Hails from United States

Birdhs thanks for the welcome. I welcome C&C so I won't get insulted by anything said here. Anything that helps me become better is always appreciated.

Frodron thanks I will try that.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2012, 04:55 PM
Lord of the Arts
Atlanta, GA

Hails from United States

I have the D5100 and love it. I was going to buy the D700, but it has NO articulated screen and that was a complete deal-breaker for me. The D5100 is all the camera you will need to take terrific photos. Learn all you can about the controls and try everything out...just experiment. Remember...no film to buy so you can keep practicing and it cost nothing to shoot and practice and delete photos.

There are tons of helpful websites that will teach you how to vastly improve your skills, and as of now, many of them are free. There was a tiime when you had to pay to subscribe to learn...that is no longer true since so many instructional websites are free now.

If you want to look at the basic operation of the D5100 and some good info about it, here is a good website for that: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d5100.htm

Ken Rockwell is high on Nikon and high on the D5100, too. You will find some good info there as well as other sites.. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond5100 being one of them as well for another in-depth review of the camera.

KEEP SHOOTING!

Ron

Sony RX100, Canon G12, Nikon D5100, D70s, P5000 (IR converted), CP4500, CP950, Minolta A2 - post-processing RAW in Lightroom and Photoshop CS6 using NIK, Topaz, on One and DxO Labs software

Last edited by RAE99 : 05-04-2012 at 04:57 PM.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2012, 10:14 PM
Western Illinois

Hails from United States

I actually like that first shot, it almost looks a bit abstract. It'd be a good one to play with. The second, I think could use a bit of cropping. The third and fourth are lovely. That fourth one is especially charming.
I still don't know what a lot of my buttons do on y camera, slowly figuring it out though.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2012, 10:41 PM
A Local Legend
Edmonton AB Canada

Hails from Canada

I think you have a pretty good start seeing you have only just got a DSLR. The last shot I really like nice subject, setting, and composition. All digital photographs do benefit from some sharpening. You are dong the best thing to learn how to use your camera and that is going out and using it. I would encourage you, when you are comfortable using it in auto to start using it in aperture priority and a new world of creativity will begin to develop.
Welcome to the forum.
Edit: I just noticed that that the last picture is backlit, that will make a shot a little softer. It looks like from the responses here I may be getting swarmed with Nikon users I wouldn't be to concerned about a tripod, they do help, but not essential. It will take a little time to learn your camera. I have a quite a large heavy lens and rarely if ever use a tripod

Last edited by Crispycritter : 05-04-2012 at 10:59 PM.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 01:03 AM
A Local Legend
So. California

Hails from United States

If the shutter speed is fast enough you won't need a tripod for most things.

Without knowing what the settings were for each picture it's hard to say exactly what the problems are with the focus being sharp. I would guess it's probably a few things like f-stop, focus bubble not exactly on the subject and maybe a little bit of a slow shutter? Shooting in AP is a good place to start, learn what f stop works best in each situation. F- stop has a lot to do with focus/ blur as well as light.

LOVE the last photo.... awesome, just wish the boy was in focus since he is the main subject.

Canon 5D Mark II, 24-70L &other Lenses, Speedlite 580EX, Alien Bee's lights, with wireless triggers and soft boxes umbrellas.

Last edited by debsn2paintn : 05-08-2012 at 01:06 AM.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2012, 06:18 AM
Enthusiast
N.S.W

Hails from Australia

Well done for giving it a go, I like the bottom two the most. I've been trying to learn photography myself (but haven't done any for a few years myself, I own a cannon) and just thought I'd add that I agree that your starting out in a good way, using the easier settings to become familiar is great as it can become a little daunting and confusing with what all the settings can do. I also wanted to mention to you about the rule of thirds for a better composition rather then trying to explain it here is a link to explain.

http://digital-photography-school.com/rule-of-thirds

Learning this helped me alot, but if you are already familiar with this please disregard it. Just my two cents worth of trying to help a little.